• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Chins-N-Hedgies and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Chinchilla For Sale Chin Rehoming

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Animal_Guy

I am genuinely upset about this, but I feel like it might be best for my boy.

Unfortunately, his cage mate has passed, and so I am unable to provide another for him. Due to circumstances, I fear that without another cagemate, or someone who can provide him around the clock companionship, he may pass. I am Looking to re-home him to a house with more companions, with food, treats, ect included. The cage will not be.

His name is Barkley, and he was given to me around six or eight months since he's come into my care. As far as I'm aware, he is approximately 8 to 9 years old. Willing to give to a joke with chins near me, proof of living conditions and existence is required for his safety.

Attachments

• IMG_20240812_030539650.jpg
    IMG_20240812_030539650.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 0
Chins do not need a cage mate like some other animals, like guinea pigs, do. I understand there are likely other reasons for you to want to give your chin a new home, like maybe things have changed and you don't have time for chins anymore (but felt ok when they at least had a buddy), but so long as you can provide him with at least an hour a day of attention/interaction that is really all they really need. To be clear, interaction does not mean you have to take him out for out of cage everyday, simply being in the same room as the cage and hanging out in there, talking to him, and time spent caring for and tidying up the cage counts too. They don't require round the clock companionship, there are many chins that live long happy lives into their teens and 20s as a single chin, and some people get or make their chin a cuddle buddy out of fleece so they have something to cuddle with when they sleep. If you are still able to give him some attention everyday that might be better for him then being rehomed right away if he is grieving since losing the human he knows too can make him feel even worse. If he is grieving and acting depressed (not all do) what he needs right now is stability, a healthy chin is not going to die just because their cage mate did. They can become depressed and not eat or drink enough and end up dying because the human doesn't notice because they are also grieving. Not all chins grieve by not eating though and if it goes on for more then a day or two that is not normal and could be a sign something else is going on. Do you know what the cage mate died from? Like was it an accident or illness? Assuming the other chin was around the same age that is not very old at all (like late 40s early 50s if human) so it was unlikely age related.

I would also keep in mind that not all chins like all other chins, so it's entirely possible even if you rehome him with someone that has other chins that he will end up living in a cage alone anyway. Also if the person is being a responsible pet owner they will also keep him isolated from their chins for 30 days before introducing him to any of their chins as well. That not only allows any illness to show up before exposing their current chins but also allows the new chin time to settle in. That means he'll have just lost his cage mate and owner in a short time, and will be all alone to grieve his losses in a new cage in a strange place with strangers.

Chins do not need a cage mate like some other animals, like guinea pigs, do. I understand there are likely other reasons for you to want to give your chin a new home, like maybe things have changed and you don't have time for chins anymore (but felt ok when they at least had a buddy), but so long as you can provide him with at least an hour a day of attention/interaction that is really all they really need. To be clear, interaction does not mean you have to take him out for out of cage everyday, simply being in the same room as the cage and hanging out in there, talking to him, and time spent caring for and tidying up the cage counts too. They don't require round the clock companionship, there are many chins that live long happy lives into their teens and 20s as a single chin, and some people get or make their chin a cuddle buddy out of fleece so they have something to cuddle with when they sleep. If you are still able to give him some attention everyday that might be better for him then being rehomed right away if he is grieving since losing the human he knows too can make him feel even worse. If he is grieving and acting depressed (not all do) what he needs right now is stability, a healthy chin is not going to die just because their cage mate did. They can become depressed and not eat or drink enough and end up dying because the human doesn't notice because they are also grieving. Not all chins grieve by not eating though and if it goes on for more then a day or two that is not normal and could be a sign something else is going on. Do you know what the cage mate died from? Like was it an accident or illness? Assuming the other chin was around the same age that is not very old at all (like late 40s early 50s if human) so it was unlikely age related.

I would also keep in mind that not all chins like all other chins, so it's entirely possible even if you rehome him with someone that has other chins that he will end up living in a cage alone anyway. Also if the person is being a responsible pet owner they will also keep him isolated from their chins for 30 days before introducing him to any of their chins as well. That not only allows any illness to show up before exposing their current chins but also allows the new chin time to settle in. That means he'll have just lost his cage mate and owner in a short time, and will be all alone to grieve his losses in a new cage in a strange place with strangers.
I believed that it would be best for him due to panic. I no longer intend to re-home him unless he genuinely does decline with recent events.
An hour a day is well within my means, though I believed that my companionship would not have been enough for him. What causes my initial decision (that has since been revoked) was the fear that the loneliness could have killed him. The loss of his cagemate was very sudden, and the cause is unknown.
His cagemate was laying around the cage more often, on her side and pancaking like hamsters do. I Googled it, and believed that she was only being comfortable, yet checking her over yielded no reason for her sudden lethargic behavior.
Even after her death, there were no visible signs. This decision was made purely out of grief and belief that he would die without his cagemate. Are there any tips for getting him out to play? He doesn't normally, and even before this event was very bitey. Anything would help, and we intend to get him a cuddle buddy.

Yeah, unfortunately google is not the best place to go for medical advice when actual medical care is needed, for humans or animals. Did you actually have a vet look her over to try to figure out what was wrong? If not it would be a good idea to take your other chin in to the vet to get checked out, just to make sure it wasn't anything contagious especially if he starts acting lethargic too. Chins are extremely good at hiding illness, so if you notice them acting abnormal or lethargic it means something serious is wrong.

Not all chins like leaving their cage to play. If he doesn't enjoy playtime it could be you are giving him too much space, wide open space can be scary for many chins. You can try a playpen instead, and add toys, chews, the dust bath, etc so he has things to do and explore. If possible you can also put fencing looped around the cage, which is what I do, with a ramp if it's high so they can come and go from the cage as they please when you have time to watch them for out of cage time. You can make the area small at first so it feels less threatening if you need to. You can also just make in the cage more fun too if he really does not want to come out. Get or make some new toys, maybe get some new ledges or perches, and if possible rearrange the cage some so he has a new layout to focus on and isn't looking in the same spots in the cage for his cage mate. Some chins like cuddle buddies, others not so much, but you wont know until you try it and it can't hurt. I made one for my previous chin after his twin brother passed and he seemed to have a love/hate relationship with it, but it mostly just stayed in his sleeping house and he would sleep on it sometimes.

Back