Albino?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

furrylovables

This girl is completly white all around. Her eyes are the color of White Zinfandel. Could she be an albino? Will take more pics if needed to determine questions.

Attachments

• pink white albino (1).jpg
    pink white albino (1).jpg
    85.7 KB
  • pink white albino.jpg
    pink white albino.jpg
    93.3 KB
All of my pink white either have freckles, or little bit of color somewhere on their bodies. She is completely white everywhere. Not even a folicle of dark or tan or gray.

She's a pink white.

My pink white has no freckles and is completely white.

3331968707_447bf639dd.jpg

She's a pink white. There really aren't any real albino's being bred in chinchillas. I believe they had issues with poor or no eyesight.

Not all beiges or pink whites or tans will have freckles on their ears.

Mom was a pink white and dad was homo beige. I have read that there are no true albino chinchillas today, but in 1960 there was one born that was blind in both eyes.
She could be a homo pink white, but I have really pink white chins, and they all have some flaw in their white with a hint of a beige or gray.

I've seen pink wihtes with no markings. Pink Whites with a ton of markings. She is a pink white :)

I feel so sheltered, I had to look up white zinfandel. I bet she is a homo beige pink white. Non of my beiges have freckles, and I have seen more pink whites that were all white than those with color.

I agree with PW. I have a pink white (supposedly homo beige) and he doesn't have any beige markings, ear freckles, and his eyes are a very light blush pink.

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Thanks for helping me out. All my pink white are not all white. She's only 1 and I thought she'd change like the rest of them. But she stayed the same. Thanks for the answers!!!

Like was said, Homo-beige pink white needing a bath :) They can be from having almost all beige to basically no beige which is why they are often called albinos.

People see pink eyes and a light colored animal and assume albino.

I see beige on the back...I think, or maybe he/she was sprayed by another chinnie.

OOO! I love this topic, I often argue with non-chin owners over it.
There are no known albinos in existence. While a pink white with a homo beige parent can look much like an albino, an albino is the lack of any color pigments and homo beige and white are both dominant genes.

Directly from a Jim Ritterspach news letter:
"Some people new to chinchillas often mistake homozygous beiges or white variants for albinos. There are no true albino chinchillas being bred today. In about 1960, a true albino chinchilla did appear, but it was completely blind, and no breeders continued the line. "

Since the albino gene is recessive, it's highly doubtful that you have an albino yourself.

I think a bath is an understatement, if that chin is a year old it has been shorted about 365 baths. Sorry to go off topic but like always I'm not one to sugar coat things. That animals looks like a 10 year old female who has just had her 4th breedback litter without a break. I hope it is just from excessive handling.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back