What's the best thing you ever bought for your dog?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dogs (Chihuahua and Min Pin) love their beds, and fleece blankets. Each also has a toy they love to bits. For the Min Pin its her and lamb, and for the Chi its her elephant :).

My brother has a beagle mix, and it loves the kong and rope toys. They have a rope toy, which they put treats in the center of, and he works on getting them out. He also has a stuffed monkey that came from the pet section at wal-mart that he loves.

-Hilly

We have 3 Chihuahuas so things might be different depends. I believe, you got to start them young on bones and such. But thats my opinion.

We have 2 that wont chew rawhides until my dog gets them softish. But as she got older and was teething she started chewing on everything....coffee tables, books, etc.

I got her rawhides, natural bones, milk bones, etc. Plus rope dog toys, tennis ball dog toys, squeaker toys, etc.
Also, a bed. :D All 3 of ours love their beds.

Gravity water bowl. (Clean it out every time it gets empty, before add fresh water)
Gravity Feeder =D

Plenty of different toys to keep their little playful minds busy =)

I have one of those AMaze-a-ball things and the food comes out too quickly for my dog. She hardly has to work at it.

For dogs that need mental stimulation, and a beagle will, you'll probably need harder toys. I really like the Tug-a-jug. Lila loves that thing. And it takes a bit more coordination that just rolling a ball around.

Furminators are good too, but over-priced. Check ebay, I got mine for $10 including shipping. Zoom grooms also work well on short coated dogs like beagles.

You can also teach them games, Lila's favorite is "find it" I take one of her toys and hide it somewhere in the bushes then tell her "Find it!" and she gets all excited sniffing out her toy. Works her mind a bit too.

Good luck with your beagle! I could never own them, they bark too much lol

I got my furminator for 10 dollars too :)

This beagle does not bark...Its so weird but NO COMPLAINTS :D

He's great. He's settling in nicely. The lady at the shelter said he wasnt vocal, but I didnt know that that meant he wouldn't bark! I guess I just got lucky:)
Thanks guys!

Best thing I've done w/ a Kong was to stuff it full of chicken babyfood and freeze it for a heat stroke victim that came into rescue. The combination of cold and licking nummy food in the Kong restored him faster than the baths and ice water alone.

Kongs are a different company than who make the tug-a-jugs, but I know I've seen them both at Petsmart, but I don't know if they have the extra small tug-a-jug, and that's the size you'd need for a chihuahua

Both my dogs have a Kuranda Classic Cot (http://kuranda.com/all-purpose-dog-beds/classic-cot) and love them.

We tried the giant pillow type beds...they liked those too but they didn't hold up well (got lumpy and not so comfortable anymore). Given a choice, Bear prefers his cot with a blanket on it to the big pillow-type beds.

The cot does not have Kuranda's 'chew proof guarantee' but neither of my dogs are real destructive. It has an all metal frame, very sturdy, and is easy to wash. Should I eventually need to replace the fabric, I can do that for under $20.

Kongs are great. The Furminator is great for some dogs (and cats). I don't know what I'd do without mine for Bear (he's a very heavy spring shedder). We have the Tug-a-jug too...not a big hit here.

Even better than the Nylabone is the Galilleo bone. I have an American Bulldog/Staffordshire mix and these bones are indestructible! You can find them on Amazon or at any pet store.

I have one of those AMaze-a-ball things and the food comes out too quickly for my dog. She hardly has to work at it.

Mine too...but a little piece of duct tape makes things interesting ;)
I'm going to try one of those tug-a-jugs.

Back