What's the best thing you ever bought for your dog?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovemychin

Ruby's Mom
So, we are adopting a Beagle on Saturday (YAY!) and I was wondering what to get for him. What was the best thing you ever bought for your dog? Include links if you can! Thanks

I already have
-crate
-Collar
-leash
-raw hide
-shampoo

The best thing you can get for your dog is quality dog food. What do you plan on feeding? I feed and recommend chicken soup for the pet lovers soul.

I also think that dogs NEED the two following things... a crate/kennel and natural bone chews.

My weim LOVES her kennel, it's her safe place, she loves to be in it. The only time it's shut is when we're gone or asleep. It is a safe place for her to be.

Chewing is good for teeth and helps fight off boredom. Note I said natural bones, rawhide is only so digestible. Natural bones are better and last longer. My dogs also love pig ears. My mom orders bones for me that are "sliced", they love those because they can eat the marrow out of them. Beware of very thin bones, or bones that feel really light, they can break and splinter.

Nail Trimmers. The pliers kind, and make sure you use them.

I know these seem like pretty simple things, but the basics are the most important. I wasn't sure if this was your first dog, etc.

My dogs also LOVE beds, well so do my cats. But my big dog isn't allowed on the furniture, so she has a bed in the livingroom, and my office because she likes to be where I am.

This will be our second dog, but It's been 5 years since he passed on. He was half beagle, so we have a pretty good idea what we're getting into breed wise. We plan on getting a bed for his crate (as we have to drive two hours to go and get him). I'm just looking for things to spoil him with(;
Thanks!

I make my dog homemade chicken soup. It's two skinless chicken breasts boiled and shredded with a cup and a half of rice and a few chopped carrots. He loves it. I give him a cup mixed with his kibble. I don't add any seasoning to it as they are not good for dogs. When it comes to spoiling him I give him frosty paws. They are a dog friendly ice cream that dogs love. Peanut butter is his favorite. http://www.frostypawstreats.com/FrostyPaws/

Another treat he gets are knuckle bones. Any butcher should have them. Granted I'm not too sure if it is too big of a bone for a beagle.

Chuckit is a favorite in our house. It's a great way to give a dog a workout and burn some of their endless energy.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3914998

Nylabone is indestructible. I highly recommend this bone.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811444

Other than that I buy squeaky toys on clearance because they don't last more than 30 minutes in my house. Enjoy your new pup.

A kong... those are pretty good at keeping dogs occupied.

I second this! My dog loves his kong, he carries it with him when he follows me and drops it when i stop... hoping that i'll put something in it. hahah. I second the kennel too, my dog still loves his and he's six years old now.

If you get fresh bones remember not to leave them out too long, you have to keep them in the fridge or they'll get nasty, lol. My dog hid one... I know!

The trick with the beagles I've lived with has been keeping them 1) Busy and 2) unable to steal between meal snacks. So, I'd pick up some child safety locks for the lowest cupboards and drawers, or use a twist tie to close the handles together. (I've seen beagles pull open drawers to use as steps to get onto counters after bread, bananas, etc. Hounds in general just REALLY like food.) Also, Nature's Miracle or another peroxide-based cleaner. Even a fully trained dog is going to occasionally throw up, track in mud, or have an accident. The Woolite brand carpet stuff for pet messes is pretty awesome, too.

That said: most of my dogs have been cuddlers. Any kind of squishy thing they could use as a bed (usually me) was the favorite sleeping spot. I like the chuck-it for the hyper ones that need exercise (http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/1716/product.web), saves the arm some extra work, and the tug-a-jug (http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/1061/product.web) for the really brainy ones. These are nice for teething puppies: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/1068/product.web and a fleece rope (http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/12238/product.web) is a good idea to help clean teeth in any dog. They're way cheaper to make yourself from a remnant of polar fleece from whatever store has yard goods, but they're also hard to destroy if you decide to play tug.

Good luck, and we love pictures. ;)

Thanks for all the items! And don't worry, I plan on posting lots of pictures. I also bought the FURminator brush, because it was highly reccomended to me to help with shedding and dander (My sister has asthma). Has anyone used these?

I've never used a Furminator but have heard good things about it. I use a horse brush for my dog. It get's everything off of him.

A quality food will help reduce shedding and dander. Furminators are good but only do so much. They are great when the sessions change and such. Sometimes people who are cautious about dander and such OVER BATH, over bathing will strip the skin of it's oils causing dry skin, which makes the body produce more oil, which makes it oily, need a bath, and the cycle goes on. I recommend a good oatmeal shampoo or a groomer quality shampoo. We use Sal's. Epi-sooth is good too.

Okay thanks! We were thinking about Bathing him twice a month, or when he gets muddy and such. I know that you should brush, bathe, and then brush again when dry. We have to give him one as soon as we get home because the shelter's play area is very muddy.

That might be too much for a Beagle. They've got very all-weather, all-purpose coats that pretty much take care of themselves as long as you brush them well. I'd brush him once a week outside (on the porch, for example) after that initial bath and decide on frequency later. Keeping shared areas like the living room well vacuumed will help a lot with the allergies without having to put the dog through too many baths too. How often is he going to be around your sister? If she's only an occasional visitor, it might not be a problem at all.

The best thing we bought for our dog was trash cans with lids. It saved her from a lot of getting in trouble for sneaking around and stealing things like tissues, chinnie poo, etc.
If it was covered, she couldn't get to it and we weren't always on her, making everyone's life difficult.

I love love LOVE these: Amaze-A-Ball

They have partitions inside them so the food doesn't just pour out, like some treat-balls. I feed meals in these.

My sister will live with the dog, but it doesnt bother her asthma bad at all. It only seems to be certain kinds of dogs that bother her, and she's been good with beagles. The furminator is just to help. I think I will only bathe him when it's necessary.

The Premier Busy Buddy is the best thing that I have ever bought for my dog, along with Kong, and Kong-like toys. Anything you can stuff with food or treats is great for keeping dogs busy, and with a beagle, that will certainly be helpful. Maybe playing "find it" with food or toys will be helpful for you too!

Latest posts

Back