what would chin's taste like?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a thread in "chit chat" about what you would like to eat and boy oh boy there were ALOT of other animals mentioned that I thought would be worse than eating chins! Someone did say that in South America they make soup out of them :(. Being Ecuadorean, the closest thing that I've seen eaten next to a chin is guinea pigs.

I can't even imagine there being enough meat on a chin to eat. Wonder if the wild ones would taste gamey like deer do. Would a eating a wild chin taste different than a ranch grown chin?

I can't imagine eating guinea pigs either.. where is the meat? They are so small. :(

I haven't heard about people eating chin meat for years. Ick...that's something I would never try. I know that some ranchers did try to use the meat for eating...but I thought that that was years and years ago, I didn't know that anyone still did it.

I don't think chinchillas have enough meat on them to be suitable for sustiance. Besides, all the fur and poop would make you feel physically sick, if the simple thought of eating such a cute creature didn't deter you already. Personally, I'd rather start eating myself than eat my fur-baby if I was starving. >(

I don't think chinchillas have enough meat on them to be suitable for sustiance. Besides, all the fur and poop would make you feel physically sick, if the simple thought of eating such a cute creature didn't deter you already. Personally, I'd rather start eating myself than eat my fur-baby if I was starving. >(

You obviously wouldnt eat the poop and fur.. Just the meat! And I cant imagine them having less meat than a cornish hen or snails or squid.

Yeah, I'm quite certain someone could come up with a suitable way to cook them.
After all, someone was hungry enough to look at a lobster and say "Hmm...that looks yummy". Some people eat squirrels, and surely they have less meat on them than chinchillas would.

I guess you people are right - just said to rile someone up, and caught me in a half-awake state! Still, not even close to funny - to me!!

I'd try it, there are lots of recipes out there. Like someone linked, they do make soups/stews out of them.

If I was in to pelting and not using ralgrow, no point in letting the whole thing go to waste. A lot of zoos won't even take the meat nowadays.

I can't imagine it would be any different than rabbit (seeing they eat the same thing) or quail.

On the chicken thing - the only thing that tastes like chicken is chicken! Frogs legs do not taste like chicken, they're a bit fishy. :p

Hey Tara...do you remember that thing about the chin recipe book someone had published? I can't find where that was. (I don't even know why I am asking...this whole thing is a little icky.)

I know that some ranchers were donating the bodies of pelted chins so that they could be fed to zoo animals and wildlife rehab places.

All my chins are named, none of this would ever happen to them. Don't anyone get me wrong. :)

On the chicken thing - the only thing that tastes like chicken is chicken! Frogs legs do not taste like chicken, they're a bit fishy. :p

I know they probably wouldn't taste like chicken. It was a JOKE because that's what everyone says when they eat something exotic. "It tastes kind of like chicken."

Well when I was in Ecuador, guinea pig was fed to me without my knowledge, (I had one bite, they had already cut it up and it was served on a plate at a family party) and it tasted like chicken.

It was a JOKE because that's what everyone says when they eat something exotic. "It tastes kind of like chicken."

Yea, but where did it come from? From the same place these jokes do? When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

Chicken is the most non-exciting, boring bird meat ever. Maybe that's why.

I don't know Susan, but I remember it being published. I found a recipe the other day for a chocolate chinchilla, but it doesn't use real chins, just the fake stuff. :p

might not be a lot of 'meat' on a chinchilla but then there isn't on a rattle snake either and I have eaten that - It tasted like 'quess what'

I do believe it was sold by ECBC years ago, but I could be wrong on that. I do know it was once of the organizations.

Hey Tara...do you remember that thing about the chin recipe book someone had published? I can't find where that was. (I don't even know why I am asking...this whole thing is a little icky.)

I know that some ranchers were donating the bodies of pelted chins so that they could be fed to zoo animals and wildlife rehab places.

All my chins are named, none of this would ever happen to them. Don't anyone get me wrong. :)

I think they would taste like candy, since they are so sweet!!! What an odd question! However, the topic has come up before, by friends, who like to antagonise me.

But, hey, in certain countries it is BAD to eat cows. It is all perspective.

ETA: I do not think I could bring myself to eat a chin, cat, dog etc willingly.

Spoof Tara - Chuck Norris can kill using 3000 things he can find in any living room. I can't remember the joke...that was such a long time ago. LOL

I've had my family ask dumb things like could someone raise chins and live off the meat? I've gotten some of the most bizarre emails asking the stupidest things, too. I know that I have had people email me asking me about eating chins and stupid things. I should start saving those!

No, doesn't anyone watch the matrix? It's actually that chicken tastes like everything because they didn't know what else to make it taste like...

I'm going to guess that a lot of it depends on mentality, I have a farmer/rancher/survival mentality, and if surviving to me meant eating chins, I would. We've butchered bottle calves that we hand feed as well. I'm not saying everyone should go eat their pet, I'm saying that if you raise something knowing you're going to eat it or for the purpose of that, it's not a pet, and you don't expect to be so. When we ran cattle we had about 200 head of cows, some were basically pets, they would follow you and stuff, but you knew that when they got too old to produce they go to market, and their offspring that aren't breeding quality get eaten. I'm sure that none of this will prevent anyone from eating a burger, steak, or chicken. I have pet chickens as well, but I don't eat them, but I do eat chicken.

I am a believer that everyone can believe what they want, do what they want as long as it doesn't harm others intentionally, and I guess I just don't like it when people say that's gross, to something they haven't tried or don't do, just because it's not what they would do, etc.. We are any of us to judge anyone else? I know that American's are very wasteful people, truly we are disgusting. Some cultures waste nothing, will eat any animal, use their furs, and even bones and anything else they can make something out of, be it food or otherwise. We throw away tons of uneaten food each year, not to mention look at all the garbage and pollution we make. And people will say it's "too hard" to recycle... the truth is we're generally too lazy and I am not exception, I could recycle my glass and tin, but I don't because I'd have to take it into Kearney, 30 minutes away, when I go there.

BTW: the meatiest part of chins, which is the part that is usually eaten are the legs, they are the size of small drumsticks usually.

Last edited:
Back