Tank Update Thread

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwww Hoping he feels better soon. Poor guy has really been through it. Looking forward to pics of the mat free baby.

Tank is doing sooooooooooooo much better. His poos are starting to look a better, though they are still small. They don't look dry and tiny like before, just small. He is eating better each day. He loves hay, though has started eating pellets a bit better as well. He was on a feed with treats before so it was a bit of a transition for him.

The one thing about him that I haven't been able to break is he will not drink from a bottle. I tried everything (the raisin trick, half apple juice and half water, etc.). I put 3 different bottles on the cage thinking he would pick one, and nothing. After days of him not drinking anything that I could see (I marked all the bottles) and his poos getting smaller and smaller, and drier and drier, I put a bowl of water in the cage. Lo and behold he started drinking with gusto. He even has his own bottle in there, yet he will not drink from it. Right now the water is in a super deep bowl that attaches to the side of the cage, so he can't walk through it or anything and it is changed daily. I will try again in the near future to get him to drink from a bottle, but in the mean time he is drinking.

He is still on his eye medication. I finally found my antibiotic eye drops, so I switched him from the ointment to the drops. It completely changed his attitude. He doesn't fight me anymore to put the antibiotic in his eye, and he seems happier with not having the right side of his face all messed up from the ointment. His eye is looking better daily, so once the 2 weeks is up he should be fine.

He is on an once every 2 days tinactin bath for the remainder of the month as well. He's not complaining. :p The areas where his mats were are looking better and better. They aren't as dry and scaly, and are less irritated than they were. Still hoping in time the fur on the back of his neck starts to grow back and it isn't as sparse as it is right now. He is running on his wheel now, which is awesome. I know he wouldn't have been able to before with those large mats on his hips, so it warms my heart to see him acting like the chinchilla he is. His fur is looking better with the dust baths so often. Once his tinactin baths are finished he will be switched back to once a week baths like all the others here.

He is coming around as well with his personality. He comes to the side of the cage every time I come into the room and wants scritchens. He has also started coming to me for treats and stickies like all the other beggars here. I'm very excited for him and love him dearly already. :hug2:

New pictures and videos to come!

Last edited:
That's good news! I'm glad he's doing better, but I hope that you can someday, maybe, get him to use the waterbottle. Water dishes can get so icky!

I know it, trust me. I am trying. He still has all his bottles on the cage along with the dish. The dish is right off a high shelf that he can't walk over, sit in, or pull hay in, etc. Every day that I clean it, it still looks clean, I just clean and refill anyway to make sure.

When his poos start looking like actual chinchilla poos I will try again with just the bottles. I just don't want to hinder his progress in the mean time.

I'm so happy to hear about tank's recovery process! It makes me so upset to read about neglected animals. I'm going to go play with my fuzzes now :heart5:

Here is a quick video just showing how he is doing. As you can see his right eye isn't 100% but is a lot better than it was. Oh, and please ignore all the baby talk. >.<

Wow he's such a... well Tank!! He's a big boy! He looks like he's doing very well! Awe Yay for happy endings!

He looks wonderful Crysta!! I knew all he needed was some Momma Crysta lovin' to get the sparkle back in him!:)

Latest posts

Back