Red chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to add.........that i have brown hair......when I dye it with a reddish "hue", the first few days maybe a week it looks good......than it wears out and looks brassy and orange and golden and kinda crappy. that is what i picture happening in this situation.
personally........i just want healthy chins. I dont care if they are grey, white, or black or a combo of the previous. but mixing in colors just to see what you can get.....think i will leave that to my nieces and finger painting!

Not meaning to cause offense but this is a complete backyard breeder statement. Breeding for "cute" babies and "cute" colors is what gets you the chins on CL that everyone is always complaining about. You don't understand breeding or standards at all if the thought of breeding a red hued off-color chinchilla is a scintillating idea.

I am offended. Because first of all; did I say I was a breeder, NO I didn't. In fact I am not even considering breeding. I live in a two bedroom apartment. It isn't even in the cards for me right now because I am expecting my second child in 20 days ( that's my due date anyway). Geez every one around here needs to lighten up. Don't get your panties in a twist. That is why us pet owners are afraid to say anything. As soon as we do, people like you rip our heads off.

What Makes you think i don't understand quality? I get that red is a bad thing. I was mainly just curious as to wether anyone had ever tried to breed for red, or if it was possible.

And how exactly is it that I don't understand genetics? please enlighten me.

Ok new day I'm ready to try again.

You said:

Now I don't understand genetics?
I understand that a red is not a mutation, but in fact a tint to the fur
I understand the it cannot, nor will it ever be a new mutation, but an off-color chinchilla
Nor can it be recessive/dominant/etc.
I understand genetics perfectly well.

How exactly is this so? Red tint is a genetic trait that is believed to be dominant. Anybody with a basic knowledge of chin genetics and breeding quality chins would at least know it was genetic and would probably know it is believed to be dominant yet the person who wants to base an entire breeding program on this trait doesn't?

The whole red thing is pretty serious to breeders or at least it should be. It is hard to calm down after reading something like this. And, you know what? I am glad that people take it as seriously as I do. It's nothing that we're going to just let die because we don't want it to happen. If it needs to emphasized again and again, someone will say something. I know that I will. I'm not going to watch something become popular and then destroy all that has been gained by sticking to a standard.

What Makes you think i don't understand quality? I get that red is a bad thing. I was mainly just curious as to wether anyone had ever tried to breed for red, or if it was possible.

And how exactly is it that I don't understand genetics? please enlighten me.

Ok - here is a HUGE contradiction.... You get that red is a bad thing... So WHY ON EARTH would someone TRY to breed for red? If they had tried, I don't think they'd go public for fear of being flogged.

I am offended. Because first of all; did I say I was a breeder, NO I didn't. In fact I am not even considering breeding. I live in a two bedroom apartment. It isn't even in the cards for me right now because I am expecting my second child in 20 days ( that's my due date anyway). Geez every one around here needs to lighten up. Don't get your panties in a twist. That is why us pet owners are afraid to say anything. As soon as we do, people like you rip our heads off.

I don't see anywhere in my post where I'm ripping your head off. You may have read my tone wrong(it happens) but as I said I wasn't being mean. I didn't call YOU a backyard breeder I was commenting that what you wrote, whether meaning to or not, came out as a backyard breeder statement. Statements like that and people thinking like that are the reasons we have so many unwanted chinchillas on CL and in rescue centers across the country.

We lighten up when people listen to our advice and our knowledge instead of spitting it back in our faces. If you come here to learn then take a seat, listen and LEARN. Arguing points that are not valid over and over again because you want a different answer does NOT change our thoughts on the matter or our advice.

A mutation in chinchillas that caused the coat color to become a true deep red and not the oxidized coloring we see in chinchillas now would be interesting. Breeding oxidized off color chinchillas to get a "reddish" chinchilla is plain stupid.

A mutation in chinchillas that caused the coat color to become a true deep red and not the oxidized coloring we see in chinchillas now would be interesting. Breeding oxidized off color chinchillas to get a "reddish" chinchilla is plain stupid.
This is what I thought the thread was geared toward when I first read it, a fun idea put forth into the universe, then it just got ugly.

I just have to add.........that i have brown hair......when I dye it with a reddish "hue", the first few days maybe a week it looks good......than it wears out and looks brassy and orange and golden and kinda crappy. that is what i picture happening in this situation.
personally........i just want healthy chins. I dont care if they are grey, white, or black or a combo of the previous. but mixing in colors just to see what you can get.....think i will leave that to my nieces and finger painting!

Where do you think pink whites come from? tans? It's from mixing colors together, in case you were not aware.

I think she was just saying that the comment you made was something that is commonly seen among backyard breeders, not that you are one.

But I agree. A lot of things are taken too seriously around here. A red chin is probably never going to happen, yet everyone's acting like it's the end of the world.

Pardon me if I don't believe that Kawaii_hedgie_chin_love and gliderchillalove are not the same person. The two screen names are the only people in this thread that have referred to red chins as "abominations" and you DO have matching IP addresses. It's not a hard thing to look up, FYI.

Correction: AZchins called it an abomination before anyone else, and that's only reason I was using the word to begin with. Perhaps gliderchillalove read it more thoroughly than you did and was simply commenting about their post.

know that when I breed chins I want them to be very clear in their coloring, I want good veiling, I want nice shape and I want a healthy animal as a result. There are standards. Reddish tint is ugly and it usually demonstrates what I said before. It generally means "POOR QUALITY" when breeders or ranchers see it. Oh, and if it is so bad that you can see it without bright lights, it's just an abomination.

I am aware that red is bad to have in your chinchillas coat, don't get me wrong, but has there ever been any work to develop a pure red chinchilla? Would that even be possible?

If you refer back to my first post, I said nothing along the lines of "someone should try to breed a red, that'd be neat" as you all seem to think I did. Sure, I mentioned that it would be cool to see if a true red chin existed, but I am not promoting the breeding of off colored chins whatsoever. I was simply asking if anyone has tried it, and If it could ever happen.

Ok - here is a HUGE contradiction.... You get that red is a bad thing... So WHY ON EARTH would someone TRY to breed for red? If they had tried, I don't think they'd go public for fear of being flogged.

Urgh! I don't know WHY someone would do it! I was simply asking if anyone had ever tried.

Also regarding the IP address, It's possible that gliderchillalove is someone that I have sold a chinchilla to in the past, and referred to this site. They could be getting online somewhere in town, or at school. Any computers in the school would have the same IP address, as well as any computers in the library, etc.

Urgh! I don't know WHY someone would do it! I was simply asking if anyone had ever tried.

I know of two people who tried. One was a backyard breeder that wanted a deep red ebony chinchilla, the other is a reputable breeder. The backyard breeder ended up breeding the chins down so badly in her want for red that the offspring of her chins started dying around weanling age. Any chins that survived barely grew above 450g and the fur was so loose they didn't feel like chinchillas anymore. The reputable breeder tried for red and no matter what he did in breeding for red all he got were oxidized chinchillas. They quickly lost the red and turned brown.

Unless a TRUE red mutation is born, breeding for red is a bad and futile idea. If you understand that...then don't toy with the idea of breeding for red in chinchillas.

RED=POOR QUALITY

then don't toy with the idea of breeding for red in chinchillas.

I never have any intentions of doing this, I just have a lot of questions and I like to make arguments because that's basically my way of getting my questions answered. I don't appreciate everyone coming in and commenting about how much I don't know genetics, how much I don't know about what a good quality chin is like, how much I don't know about clarity, etc. when all I wanted from the beginning was a simple question answered. I'll admit that i'm not an expert when it comes to these things, but I'm trying to learn, and i've got pretty good knowledge when it comes to chins.

Thank you RDZC for actually answering my question instead of completely ripping apart everything I say like others have.

Please don't "urgh" me. If you can say you were asking a simple general question, I can say I was referring to a general someone as well. I never once implied YOU were going to try to breed red chins.

I never have any intentions of doing this, I just have a lot of questions and I like to make arguments because that's basically my way of getting my questions answered. I don't appreciate everyone coming in and commenting about how much I don't know genetics, how much I don't know about what a good quality chin is like, how much I don't know about clarity, etc. when all I wanted from the beginning was a simple question answered. I'll admit that i'm not an expert when it comes to these things, but I'm trying to learn, and i've got pretty good knowledge when it comes to chins.

Thank you RDZC for actually answering my question instead of completely ripping apart everything I say like others have.

Your "arguments" did not stand up & people have told you that - whilst you may not like it, people have responded to your "arguments" ........... because that's what happens on forums. Just because you don't like the replies you got does not mean they are any less valid.
As for ripping your posts apart (which is way too emotive an expression for what has happened in this thread) I have to say you also asked for that too. You can't say "I like to make arguments so I get answers" & then get into a strop because people have responded. ;)

Last edited:
Would this be considered a red chin?
chinchilla-02-violeta.jpg

I know nothing about chinchilla genetics, and I wouldnt even pretend to. And since it is considered an undesirable trait I would hope no one would specifically breed for it.

Anyone have any pics of a chinchilla with redish fur? I am really interested to see what they look like.

All that being said I would be happy to take your culls LOL. I "found it on the side of the road" :dance3: (secretly thinks that color is really cute)

That looks more like a crappy photo of a violet than an actually off-coloured chin TBH.

HAHA Yeah I figured it was photoshopped or something, but if they came in that color I would totally hide it at my house for any breeder lol!

Back