Red chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kawaii_Hedgie_Chin_Love

I am aware that red is bad to have in your chinchillas coat, don't get me wrong, but has there ever been any work to develop a pure red chinchilla? Would that even be possible?

As it is highly undesiarable no one is trying as far as I know as it is undersirable (to everyone but Laurie LOL)

I know it's undesireable to have a red tint in any color chins fur, but would a completely red chin really be that unwanted? I think it'd be kind of neat to see, if someone was to actually develop a chin of that color.

It would be undersirable from a pelt standpoint. It is the red in the red tint that is a problem. Pelts do much better as cool tones. Blues not reds. You will not find anyone working on them

I have been begging for a true red chin since time began! I don't understand at all why anyone would not want such a gorgeous color in a pelt. Fox red, Irish Setter Red--simply beautiful. However I am also a chin pet owner and not a fur wearer so maybe that's why I think it would be beautiful. Guinea pig is really pretty. By now most of my breeder friends know if they ever get a red chin it better be mine! LOL! And someday before I die I hope to see this color become popular.

I would love a red chinchilla. it would be very cool, and so beautiful. I would get a girl and name her Strawberry Shortcake. strawberry for short.

I really liked the mahogany ones, but haven't seen one in almost ten years now. It was a gene that piggybacked on ebony and created a really deep dark rusty color.

I am also viewing this from a pet standpoint, and not as a pelt. I think a deep red chin with black ears/eyes would be absolutely gorgeous and was just curious as to if anyone had ever attempted it before.

EDIT: hmm, i've never heard of a mahogany chin before, did the line just end? are they still around?

Last edited:
I have never heard of a red chin in any capacity, but I think they would be beautiful as a pet! So what if their pelts aren't such a good quality, it's not like we use them for that! :D

I have never heard of this. What do you mean by a red tint? As in the chinchilla will have red-colored fur or just a red undertone? Is the gene safe to breed?

Just saying you will not likely find a breeder trying for that. Those of us who show breed to pelting standards as that is how they are judged

I have never heard of a red chin in any capacity, but I think they would be beautiful as a pet! So what if their pelts aren't such a good quality, it's not like we use them for that! :D

While that's true, good quality breeders will always breed to the pelt standard. At shows that's how the chins are judged, and "crap" quality chins are never striven for....no matter how much us pet owners would love a red chin. :p

You have to focus on a goal when breeding, otherwise you are just another backyard/pet store/rescue breeder. Right now, that goal is to breed to pelt standard. That doesn't mean all the animals who meet, exceed, or fall below that standard are pelted. It means that you have to have something to strive for, and the pelt standard is it.

So sure, I suppose someone could try to breed a red chin. Nowadays, I suspect it would be ugly as heck, because it's not going to look like a fox. It's going to look like a nasty tinted chin that no respectable breeder would have anywhere near their herd.

It really would be ugly... It would never look red, never...it would look muddy. I guess after 20 years of selective breeding it would look red after having hundreds of animals look orange and brown. Honestly, i hope no one ever goes for it. That could mean that a bunch of people end up with ugly tinted chins and they would start breeding even more ugly chins. It just doesn't seem like a good idea just to get a red chinchilla.

Red chins must be just like at home perms--good in theory, extremely poor in quality and looks. So sad, just so sad!

Back