Newbies Breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well those are interesting statements, especially considering the mulitple stoiries I've heard about discovered "pet store chins" and "rescue chins" winning Grand Show Champion at sanctioned shows.
Hmmm.....

Just curious about how many petstore and rescue animals have won GSC? I have heard of the Jags story..but honestly that is the only one I know of off the top of my head.... Who were the others?

I know of someone up here in Canada that won with a petstore chin. I just don't remember if it was a show in Canada or the USA. I will have to look it up or ask around.

It's not our place to tell them they can't breed 2 pet store chins together.

Ehhhh - I've pretty much been watching the tennis match thus far, but I feel compelled to post on this. Mark, about the only people that are going to agree with you on this are the people who are wanting to breed their pet store chins. This community does not now, nor will we ever, condone breeding mystery chins from pet stores. I'll certainly agree with your right to express your opinion on most things, whether I even remotely agree with you or not, but this is not something that is going to go over well here and I would ask you to stop encouraging this type of comment/mentality.

Peggy, that's not what my post says. It says people are going to do what they want with their animals. That's where the educating part comes in. Hopefully if they are explained to all of the problems that are associated with breeding 2 pet store chins with unknown backgrounds they will understand and seek out better quality pedigreed chins to breed from a respected breeder and continue to learn about the animals their breeding and be responsible. Turning them away with derogatory remarks or name calling will lead them to breed what they have with no helpful advice or opportunity to know better. Educating the newbie and backyard breeder is the best way to avoid them from continuing to breed low quality, unknown background, pet store chins.

I understood what you meant. What you don't understand is that those pet store breeders are going to see what you said as permission given for doing what they do. When people want to do what they want to do, they look for ONE person who even remotely says what they want to hear and they run with it. By all means, encourage new, responsible breeding. But it would be better if you wouldn't mention pet store breeding as though it should just be allowed to happen with no comment by anyone on here.

I think the RGSC at the MCBA SEC show owned by Lyn's Chins is a rescue. That's the only other story I've heard of.

Yes, her boy Coconut - he's a beast of a white, gorgeous thing. He didn't place quite as well at York but regardless, he did take RGSC at that show and is a rescue.

But I think those stories are probably few and far between. I had one pet store chin who actually had very nice confirmation/fur etc. but the others were not at all quality animals. Same with any rescues I've had.

Thing people are forgetting, The excuse is well we want health not necessarily pelting qulaity. But if you are breeding a chinchilla with no background, no history how do you know it is healthy. Malo and several other issues are recessive, and if you pick up your stock from a pet store, then get another even from a different petstore who is to say they aren't related. A breeder may be selling to more than 1 store in your area. And I know I have many kits born that are somehow related that is why history is so important so I can see when I keep one who they are related too.

Again without some sort of standard to breed too how can people improve. Breeders need goals. Sweet and cute are not goals, all chinchillas can be sweet that has more to do with how they are raised, all chinchillas are cute. Goals met..now what?

I'm in the UK too, and totally agree with Claire - our pet chins, those from responsible breeders, can be pretty nice quality animals. Breeders here usually seem happy enough for a chin to go to a pet home if they will be well cared for.
My own Henry may have a narrower face (which I prefer anyway, though a NCS judge also complimented him on his pretty face, and big eyes, that made me very happy, as I did fall in love with that face when I picked him :))), but does have lovely strong, silky fur, and is very blue and clear in colour. Eddie Crutchley reckoned that, though he's a little on the small side, I could breed from him if I was careful to find him a nice big girl (he is a pedigree, do know the background), though if I decide to, I want to go to more shows and learn a lot more first. I've experienced a pretty positive attitude towards pet owners from breeders here, and found NCS members really helpful (which of course only encouraged me to join).

I completely understand why people get frustrated, I do myself, some people just will not listen and it's obvious the animals will suffer for it. Not sure dismissing people's chins as rat faced and crappy quality will exactly help, though, as that is surely only going to annoy them and make them less inclined to listen. Maybe better to focus on the potential risks to the animal's health, due to possible genetic issues especially if breeding animals from unknown background, and the things that can go wrong in breeding any chins. Those things are something anyone can understand even if they know nothing about what makes a show quality chin, and are surely more important to the animals themselves than if the fur is too soft.

Once again, as a newbie (not pet store newbie) nor will you see me on animal hoarding gone bad, hahaha.
In a twisted sort of way, it is nice to know that whether in agreement or on extreme opposite ends of a good debate, I feel privileged to have read and even learned from a group of people that to say the least are fiercely devoted to the chin.

Thank you

RDZCRanch: Why is it ok to breed chinchillas based on personality, but not dogs.

I think that in the early stages of some dog breeds, personality was a factor. I mean, even now a border collie with a strong herding instinct is more likely to be bred than a border collie that just wants to play fetch.

We seem to be in the early stages of chinchillas as pets, so it seems to make sense to breed for tameness as well as beauty. That is, if friendly pets are what you are going for. : )

Not advocating the breeding of hairless, three eyed chinchillas or anything, but just saying that I think personality is partially nature and so it would make sense to breed less timid animals if possible.

Lu

RDZCRanch: Why is it ok to breed chinchillas based on personality, but not dogs.

We seem to be in the early stages of chinchillas as pets, so it seems to make sense to breed for tameness as well as beauty. That is, if friendly pets are what you are going for. : )

Not advocating the breeding of hairless, three eyed chinchillas or anything, but just saying that I think personality is partially nature and so it would make sense to breed less timid animals if possible.

Lu

There is no such thing as breeding chinchillas for personality/tameness. Personality largely has to do with how they are nurtured and raised.

There is no such thing as breeding chinchillas for personality/tameness. Personality largely has to do with how they are nurtured and raised.

I agree. My friendliest chin's mom charged the cage and sprayed anytime she even thought someone was walking by and his dad wasn't much better. He has never shown one aggressive behavior towards me and will step right into my hands and loves to be carried around.

There is an entire thread on this, including an awesome one on foxes here.
Absolutely not true. You can pretty accurately judge a long time rancher on how his/her herd acts in your presence.

When you've been breeding long enough you innately select things that please you and get rid of things that annoy you. It differentiates two otherwise identical animals for breeding.

Once you've been doing it awhile you'll see. :))

Why is it ok to breed chinchillas based on personality, but not dogs.
Temperament is selected for in a lot of breeds, particularly the hunters/retrievers. It's that driving need to please that makes them perform so well.

I agree. My friendliest chin's mom charged the cage and sprayed anytime she even thought someone was walking by and his dad wasn't much better. He has never shown one aggressive behavior towards me and will step right into my hands and loves to be carried around.
Just like improving a fur trait, you can't judge temperament in one generation. It takes 4-8 to really set it in and make a difference.

Last edited:
A show quality chinchilla needs to have all the qualities prevalent in the industry today or at least have them all in a good amount. The qualities have to do with the fur and the size of the animal. The fur should be dense (thick), have a blue hue, stand straight, bounce back quickly when manipulated, and have the correct clarity throughout the coat. These are all qualities that are hard to discern in a picture or across the internet and qualities that you must see in person to truly understand them. My pet quality would not be breeding quality for any other reputable breeder that I know and if I sell them as pet quality, that is what they are.

Thank you for answering my questions.

My Barnaby clearly is too small to be a show chinchilla. However, at 8 months my mosaic Hugo is already bigger than his gray brother. His fur is very dense and soft. Maybe there is a show cage in his (distant) future. :?

There's a show in Wisconsin that I might roadtrip to this fall. I've been a chinchilla slave for less than a year, but I'm facinated by the little critters.

:)

Lu

There is an entire thread on this, including an awesome one on foxes here.

Absolutely not true. You can pretty accurately judge a long time rancher on how his/her herd acts in your presence.

When you've been breeding long enough you innately select things that please you and get rid of things that annoy you. It differentiates two otherwise identical animals for breeding.

Once you've been doing it awhile you'll see. :))

Temperament is selected for in a lot of breeds, particularly the hunters/retrievers. It's that driving need to please that makes them perform so well.

Just like improving a fur trait, you can't judge temperament in one generation. It takes 4-8 to really set it in and make a difference.

Absolutely - personality (temperament) is a huge part of many dog breeds. I know it's terrible to think about, but it was a major factor in breeding dogs for fighting in the pit - the dog had to have the drive and grit to fight efficiently without any aggression toward the person who handled it during breaks in the fight (pit bulls are my heart breed, that's the only reason I know this). Human aggressive dogs were culled, efficient fighters with no human aggression were bred. Appearance was not nearly as big of a factor, although more agile dogs obviously did better in the pit.

Appearance is more important in the chin world though - that's what our animals are judged on. I try to breed chinchillas with friendly personalities, but that isn't going to gain them any points on the show table, it's just something that I prefer since many of my customers are pet owners.

Chins can and have been bred for temperament for many years. Serious breeders do not want nervous or aggresive animals. My herd has been bred for good temperament as well as all the other good characteristics.

Chins can and have been bred for temperament for many years. Serious breeders do not want nervous or aggresive animals. My herd has been bred for good temperament as well as all the other good characteristics.

I agree- health comes first but if you have a female that sprays you every time you walk by the cage, how is she going to do with babies? Other chins? How could you get her out of the cage to show with out fur slipping?

That's my opinion on the temperament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back