Newbies Breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a black velvet who I call sunshine that is code for devil chin. She got reserve black velvet at Nationals 2011. She will spray if you do not open her cage slowly and quietly. If you do it on her terms she's a sweety and will climb out onto my arms. If you just go right in she will kack and spray and charge. She doesn't bite no matter what you do, it's all a bluff. She has a 2 week old kit and is a wonderful mother. Her kit is very sweet and docile. It is very important to hold a kit every day when the mother is not docile.

Last edited:
Sassy here is named sassy because she is a total witch, sprays, Kacks and is generally misearable. I have kept several of her babies and they are the sweetest chinchillas on earth

I have kits of the same litter or same parents different litters that have their own personallity. All are handled equally. They are who they are. Little individuals.

True, I have one of those, he mom and dad were wild, but she's a docile as can be, but sometimes female could fight a male or whatever, or become so preotective of her babie that she is violent towards them. I dunno, I read this in the magazine a while back.

I have a female that will rip your arm off if you even attempt to even reach into the cage with her and her babies (I wear my wrist brace to reach in). Her babies are some of the nicest offspring temperament wise. Dad has to play a huge part in that because he's extremely personable.

I don't agree that just because you have a sprayer or a haggy parent that the offspring will be nasty or have a bad temperament. A LOT of it has to do with if the kits are handled from birth and some of it is just luck. Sprayers also don't last in my barn. I teach them manners and then they no longer spray.

Temperment in chins is much more environment then genetic. We had over 400 animals all very close genetically yet my chins were more tame and used to being handled the my fathers. He had too many to get out and handle and interact with all the time, so his animals tended to be more feisty and have attitudes because they weren't used to a lot of people interaction. I had much fewer animals then he did all in the same chin room, but I handled mine and had them out a lot more often then he did and they were much more comfortable around people. This was even more apparent when dad gave each of my kids a couple animals to have as their own pets. At first the animals were timid and nipped the kids a time or two, but the kids kept getting them out and holding, petting, and playing with them and the animals became very tame and calm around people, even when they brought friends out in the chin room to hold and pet their chinnies. We also observed at shows that some breeders animals were very calm and relaxed and just sat so good in their cages under the lights and around all the new people and some breeders animals were very uncomfortable, chewing on the bars of the cage, squawking at the judges, biting at their fingers, not calm and relaxed at all around the new people at the show. We asked one of the breeders years ago why his animals seemed so calm at the shows around all the new people and he said he thought it was because he has a radio playing all the time in his chin barn and the animals are used to hearing all different voices and so they don't get startled around new voices. We've had a radio playing in our chin room since and we noticed a difference in our animals, especially when new faces and voices come into our chin room the animals don't jump around their cage and squawk at you when you walk by near as much as they used to. My experience is environment and individual handling of the chins has the biggest influence on their temperment.

I don't agree that just because you have a sprayer or a haggy parent that the offspring will be nasty or have a bad temperament. A LOT of it has to do with if the kits are handled from birth and some of it is just luck.

Temperment in chins is much more environment then genetic.

This is why, as a pet owner, I think it is more important that breeders focus on improving the physical qualities of the animals. Yes, there is a chance that a chin with good breeding can develop a genetic disorder. However I believe that it's less likely to happen in good breeding stock then with chins that come from poorly bred animals. Since so many ranchers have made great improvements in the animal I think it is ridiculous for 'newbies' to be encouraged to start with anything that is less then the best. Everyone has to start somewhere, so the only logical thing is for us (the educated) to encourage these 'newbies' to start with the best and continue to improve the animal from there. As a pet owner I know that I am not an authority on breeding and genetics, however I've learned enough over the years to know where to send people when they have questions. If 'newbies' have made mistakes in the past correct them and move on, but don't encourage them to CONTINUE making bad decisions. Otherwise these 'newbies' are just creating more unwanted animals.

No matter how nasty the chin, IMO ALL chinchillas can be tamed if worked with diligently and patiently.

No matter how nasty the chin, IMO ALL chinchillas can be tamed if worked with diligently and patiently.

I think there is some truth to this. I have had some temperamental chins go to new homes and be just fine because the new owner is giving them regular, patient attention (above and beyond what I, as a breeder with many chins) can give. Not to say that I don't work with them, but they almost always improve even more in a pet home.

I even look at Poppy and she assumes the position. She hasn't actually sprayed in a few weeks, but she ALWAYS assumes the position to let you know she's ready if you do anything to make her angry. :p

We can send her to Peggy as well. :D

No one knows where their temperament comes from, whether it's genetic or handling or the universe rolling dice. Any "evidence" one way or the other is purely anecdotal. I do not consider a chin's temperament when I choose pairings as I believe chinchillas are naturally docile, even the ones trapped by Chapman almost 100 years ago (not that I know personally, but I've read the natives were keeping chins as pets long before Chapman came along) from which all our breeding stock originated. They are not an aggressive animal in general. There are other qualities that I wish to work on before including personality.

That said, if a breeder wants to include temperament in their list of desired traits for selecting breeders, more power to them. However, when it is the ONLY trait they are breeding for, then I cease my support. I have seen too many wannabe "breaders" justify breeding their craigslist rescues and pet store impulse buys because they're just OH so sweet to know it is a problem.

That said, if a breeder wants to include temperament in their list of desired traits for selecting breeders, more power to them. However, when it is the ONLY trait they are breeding for, then I cease my support. I have seen too many wannabe "breaders" justify breeding their craigslist rescues and pet store impulse buys because they're just OH so sweet to know it is a problem.

I agree, There is a huge difference in not breeding an animal because it is nasty than Breeding animal because it is sweet.

No one knows where their temperament comes from, whether it's genetic or handling or the universe rolling dice. Any "evidence" one way or the other is purely anecdotal. I do not consider a chin's temperament when I choose pairings as I believe chinchillas are naturally docile, even the ones trapped by Chapman almost 100 years ago (not that I know personally, but I've read the natives were keeping chins as pets long before Chapman came along) from which all our breeding stock originated. They are not an aggressive animal in general. There are other qualities that I wish to work on before including personality.

Ditto!

Is there any particular reason that you have the same IP address as missjess10475? Multiple accounts do not make me happy. If this is missjess and she wants to answer the question, then step up and answer it. Don't hide behind another user name. That will just end up getting you banned.

Tunes,
Isn't this statement in direct conflict with the privacy policy?

" We do not and never will share this information with outside parties unless required by law to do so."

So when you divulged this information to all the users of C-n-H was it under court order? I'm guessing the answer is no, so why do you go about disclosing private information when you legally didn't have to and abiding by your own Policy forbids it?

Last edited:
Dan - The only time you show up is to cause problems. Out of this entire thread, THAT is all you chose to comment on. You need to find another forum to annoy, because I'm simply not interested in having you do it here.

I did not disclose the IP, simply that they had the same IP. Surely, even with wanting to cause conflict like you do, you can see the difference?

I have a female that will rip your arm off if you even attempt to even reach into the cage with her and her babies (I wear my wrist brace to reach in). Her babies are some of the nicest offspring temperament wise. Dad has to play a huge part in that because he's extremely personable.

I don't agree that just because you have a sprayer or a haggy parent that the offspring will be nasty or have a bad temperament. A LOT of it has to do with if the kits are handled from birth and some of it is just luck. Sprayers also don't last in my barn. I teach them manners and then they no longer spray.

*lol* I'd like to learn how you teach your sprayers manners... :laughitup:

My little girl is almost exactly like her mom, her mom is very shy and bolts at the slightest noise, but! She is super curious and if you sit there long enough she comes over and grooms and sits in your lap. The only difference between the mom and my little girl is that my little girl (Amy) is the floppiest thing, she doesn't tense up when you hold her and has an even more curious nature.
The dad is super cool, will jump out onto your lap and is very comfortable with handling. I think most of that had to do with me handling him constantly from when he was 3 months old, now he thinks he has the right to jump out on my arm or legs when i open the cage door.

I have kits of the same litter or same parents different litters that have their own personallity. All are handled equally. They are who they are. Little individuals.

Agreed. I hold each one in the litter as they grow and will end up with some shy and some bold.

I know I am not the only one frustrated in seeing new posts on here about newbies buying animals and breeding. I don't know how most of you do it-answering the same questions over and over again.

I do feel that everyone deserves a chance if they are true in wanting to better the species, attend shows and be something. But lately-I just want to say "If you feel like you need to buy a pair and breed before you do any type of homework-then you are on your own!"

How do you guys do it? Respond to all of the same posts over and over again?
id suggest finding a post with alot of facts on the topic then just send them the link to that post, however people do need to learn there is a search button.

We have FAQs posted at the top of each section, why should a member waste their time if the person won't bother to even look at the FAQs let alone use the search button.

Newbie BYB'S breed what they want, get into trouble, SCREAM for help then drop off the face of the planet once their questions are answered, they don't stay to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back