My Arlington Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaime~
Congrats, I guess?... For what it's worth, she didn't look pregnant when I had her before I railroaded her to you! I checked both of mine and her to verify that they were females, but I didn't think about their already being pregnant.

Is she one of the younger ones, or was she one of the older ones that had been there for a while? We just introduced both of our Arlington girls to another pair of females, so I'm hoping against hope that neither one is pregnant (although I'm sure they would have pretty, pretty babies) - we DON'T need that right now.

I know you said you didn't handle her often, but did you notice anything odd before she gave birth? As of late, Nova, our ebony, has been extremely interested in hanging out in the same fleece house, and I'm wondering if she's nesting (of course I'm going to be even more paranoid than usual now).

These girls are less than a year old. I imagine the people who cared for them after the seizure didn't think they could get pregnant that young. Hopefully it was an honest mistake, and at least the chins went to people who know what they're doing or who at least know where to get good advice.

Cute kit!!! :)

Jenny - I didn't really notice anything unusual. Her favorite spot has always been the top ledge in the corner, this morning she was in the bottom of the cage in the corner. That was very odd for here, but that is the only thing different! I have always said since we got her, "Geez, she eats like a pig! Alot more than Chili!" But I figured it was because Chili is small anyways (564 grams at 1.5 yrs). She was initially a bit smaller than Chili is, but not by much. She wasn't really tiny though, did you think? Now I understand why she ate so much! I did look at her yesterday and think that she was definately getting bigger, but not really fatter. Geez, I feel like such an idiot looking back now!

Don't feel like an idiot - we were told these chins were appropriately separated and sexed. Sh*t happens, but like you said, at least they will both have a good home.

Both Nova and Pele are complete pellet piggies, but I haven't noticed any weird weight gain.

Pepper wasn't tiny; in fact I remember thinking she was bigger than my two, but she didn't look chunky or anything.

I'm glad your girl had her baby safely. Have you tried sexing it yet? Here are some kit baby pictures for comparison.

Female baby bits!
IMG_0653.jpg

Male baby bits!
IMG_0654.jpg

It looks like from what I can tell from the seizure dates and such that your girl got pregnant during or shortly after the seizure. I'd assume since they were seizing so many animals at once there were a few mix-ups. Once they were sexed "properly" by the "experts" ,however, they should not have been in opposite sex pairs like Crysta's chins. Obviously there was too much hurry to pass chinchillas off and not enough time taken to evaluate each individual chinchilla for signs of pregnancy or health issues. I've said it before and I'll say it again...these chins should have all gone to a facility where they could have been quarantined and monitored for at least the 30 day quarantine period before being handed off to individual homes.

Thanks! We have female bits! LOL She is definately a female. I tried to get photos of her bits but she was too wiggly and I didn't want to freak her out too much. She weighs 56 grams. Here are a few more pics that I just took.

a-3.jpg

b-2.jpg

c-1.jpg

d.jpg

Awww. I love that 3rd picture down. Very cute.

I weighed my girl again today and she is steadily gaining weight, but that could be because she is growing. She is 435 today. Last week she was 394. Still way too tiny to be a mommy. :( Still hoping!

Cute baby!!! I'm glad to hear that everything is fine so far! I also have a female from Arlington, so I will be watching her closely for awhile. Is there any special way that I need to handle her until I know that she is not pregnant?

I love the use of the Pampered Chef glassware in the first pic! :)

Good thing she's a little girl. Now you can concentrate on the important things, like naming her and seeing what other fun props you can use with her in pictures.

...oh, and the baby safe cage and such... I guess that's important too! ;)

What a surprise! A very cute surprise. Glad you noticed right away and made the proper arrangements. Best of luck with them both!

Our orginal Chin's name is Chili. So we named our Arlington Chin Pepper. And I think that the new baby is going to be Halle (as in Jalapeno, and pronounced like Halle Berry).

I weighed her this morning and she is still at 56 grams, atleast she is not losing, right?

She may lose a gram or two the first couple of days which is normal & then she should start to gain.
She does look a cutey

Our orginal Chin's name is Chili. So we named our Arlington Chin Pepper. And I think that the new baby is going to be Halle (as in Jalapeno, and pronounced like Halle Berry).

I weighed her this morning and she is still at 56 grams, atleast she is not losing, right?

Name her Bell as in Bell Pepper.

Back