Is maple wood safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carleigh

I tried figuring out if maple wood is safe for chinchilla consumption, but all of the lists I found said it is toxic. However, those lists also often include woods like birch and others that this site says is safe. I have given my chinchillas tons of birch and they have never had any issues, so I am not too sure if I should believe the lists.

Maple is toxic, probably because of the sap, it's used to make maple syrup so it's very high in sugar. Pretty much if it's a tree that's got sap that drips it's no good for chins. I'm just guessing, maybe kiln dried like pine would work? I honestly don't know but I do know that the bark and leaves are toxic. I just figure there are so many other safe options that why take a chance? Birch is one that is debated, probably because it depends on what kind of birch, most is safe, like paper and white which are used as a food source for some wild animals, but black birch isn't safe.

Thank you! That does make sense, in the way that live oak is toxic with its antifreeze. I just moved from SC to NY and there are so many new types of trees and it's all untreated forest, so I am really excited to start making them treats. After ensuring they're safe, of course.

Back