Injured Kit, Swollen Head

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have a scapel a sterile syringe needle would work as well to make a puncture in the middle of the "squishy" area. But before doing that, have you put pressure on the squishy area to see if it moves any more puss out of the open area? If not gently do that. Antibiotics are a must. Don't worry about the white under the back scabs, that can heal over time, but if there are any other very large ones that have this sort of puss in them they need to be cleaned.
The white/yellow is not pus - it is sloughy tissue at the base of the wound.

I just sat here debating if I should recommend this or not, but I will and let you decide if it's right for you. Generally with tramatic wounds that cover a large amount of skin, particularly burns, it is advised to use a gauze pad and clean the affected area 2-3 times per day, rubbing it until it bleeds just a little. This would be acceptable on the back, since I can't see the head wound in person, I don't know for sure. If the yellow I see is in fact puss covering the skull, then it would be difficult. Ideally that wound on the head needs the dead tissue around it cut back and stitched by the vet to promote proper heading. Ooops, that reason for the scrubbing until you see a little blood is that it promotes better healing by increasing the blood supply to the area encouraging it to heal better and fight infection because of the antibodies that the blood brings in with it.
*sigh* In the US it still seems to be the practice to scrub wounds until they bleed. Here in the UK that approach was discontinued years ago as not being best practice. Unless the wound is full of grit or dirt (as in an RTA) then scrubbing the wound does little to aid in the healing process - all it does is remove any delicate granulation tissue which might be forming & is intensely painful.

Slough is removed by a process of autolysis - you can mechanically debride wounds but often the slough or fibrinous layer will reappear. All that is really required is a moist environment to assist the body's process of autolysis.

I certainly would not scrub that poor kit's head wound.

I'm going to back Claire up on that. I would not be scrubbing vigorously on that little ones head, especially to the point of bleeding. First of all, she's beat all to h*ll. She's probably still a bit shocky and she's fighting for her life with fighting off the infection and just the general trauma. She's going to be in a lot of pain because of all the puncture wounds and bites. My thought on getting the wound open was the big bubble of nastiness, not the open part. The open part isn't pus, the squishy part is. Or, it might even be a big blood pocket, but I'm betting on pus. The large hole doesn't even look exactly like a puncture. It looks more like a huge chunk of skin/tissue was ripped out and that's the hole left behind.

The other reason I would not scrub any of the kit's wounds is because we don't actually know whether there has been any damage done to the skull.

And getting my *** jumped all over is why I almost didn't post it. What works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm not exactly a graceful person, I have the scars to prove it... but I do know that I had a massive burn on my arm a triangle about 3 inches on each side, and because of the scrubbing most people don't know it's there. This method is used in the US to help reduce the amount of scar tissue, and when done properly I feel it is effective. Is it right for every injury or situation, no it's not. And at no point did I say rub vigorously until blood is gushing out all over.
If we're going to assume that the OP is capable of cutting a kits head open, not knowing what is underneath, with a scalpel then I'd like to think they're smart enough to know when to stop scrubbing. And I actually suggested they clean all of the wounds, which would also help figure out the total extent of the damage, not just scrub until it's skull is exposed and bleeding.

Last edited:
And getting my *** jumped all over is why I almost didn't post it. What works for one person doesn't work for another. I'm not exactly a graceful person, I have the scars to prove it... but I do know that I had a massive burn on my arm a triangle about 3 inches on each side, and because of the scrubbing most people don't know it's there. This method is used in the US to help reduce the amount of scar tissue, and when done properly I feel it is effective.
Research does not agree with you, nor does long established practice in Europe.

If we're going to assume that the OP is capable of cutting a kits head open, not knowing what is underneath, with a scalpel then I'd like to think they're smart enough to know when to stop scrubbing. And I actually suggested they clean all of the wounds, which would also help figure out the total extent of the damage, not just scrub until it's skull is exposed and bleeding.
This is the exact reason I have not suggested any treatment for the wound except gentle cleaning to keep the scabs from forming. The kit needs to see a vet, not be home treated.
PMSL who suggested scrubbing until the skull is exposed & bleeding?
For all we know the skull could be exposed under that slough in that hole - ANY form of scrubbing could be potentially disasterous for the little kit. It is not an appropriate treatment in this case at all.

Research does not agree with you, nor does long established practice in Europe.

Unfortunately I don't live in Europe. It is common practice here to do both scrubbing and water therapy, I didn't suggest the later because with a kit most people do not have the ability to thoroughly dry the kit to avoid secondary issues. Although your vet and my vet may disagree I was simply suggesting what has worked for me in the past, as directed by both my vet and my doctor.

To further back up my claim, we had a horse who in a storm ran through a fence and nearly impaled herself on a steel post to our best guess. When we found her two days later ( 680 acres is a lot of area to look ) she had a cut for lack of a better word so deep into her chest the vet could put his entire hand into it deep and two hands wide. Because two days had lapsed and due to the extent of the damage stitching was not a viable option. I had to scrub and water therapy three times a day, there is not even a scar visible where it happened, even working for the vet I was in awe of the healing that accomplished.

If my suggestion is so offensive the admins are welcome to remove it. I don't feel that I recommend home vetting this chin any more than cutting it's head open was home vetting.

I have a lot of experience with abscesses...in my experience, and this might be out there, but I generally lance and drain abscesses, not scrub them until they bleed.

I agree that with the inexperience Erin has, this kit needs to get to a vet that can see the wound in person, touch it and determine what it is before slicing into the delicate flesh of a kit's head.

Unfortunately I don't live in Europe. It is common practice here to do both scrubbing and water therapy, I didn't suggest the later because with a kit most people do not have the ability to thoroughly dry the kit to avoid secondary issues. Although your vet and my vet may disagree I was simply suggesting what has worked for me in the past, as directed by both my vet and my doctor.

To further back up my claim, we had a horse who in a storm ran through a fence and nearly impaled herself on a steel post to our best guess. When we found her two days later ( 680 acres is a lot of area to look ) she had a cut for lack of a better word so deep into her chest the vet could put his entire hand into it deep and two hands wide. Because two days had lapsed and due to the extent of the damage stitching was not a viable option. I had to scrub and water therapy three times a day, there is not even a scar visible where it happened, even working for the vet I was in awe of the healing that accomplished.
I know you are not in Europe, Nicole, & I'm not suggesting you should be aware of the research but there is plenty available should you be interested - in both humans & animals.
Scarring has little to do with scrubbing but more to do with the basic mechanics of wound healing. Massive wounds can heal with little/no scarring depending on many factors. Often the biggest wounds heal the most spectacularly.

I could go on but it will detract from the thread......

I don't agree that the open wound on the head is an abscess per se, and I don't believe Peggy does either as she stated that it appears that it was a bite where skin was possibly removed, and not a puncture wound.

At no point did I suggest that anyone get out a sander and grind through the flesh... I was simply referring to scrubbing the wounds and not simply the head, not the bubble part of the head that is assumed to be an abscess but may be something else, but also the body gently scrubbing until small amounts of blood are visible. This is no different that what most vets would do if you took the chin into the vet.

Seriously if you have an abscess why would you scrub it until it bleeds or pops open? I in that same post that was either ill written or ill read, suggested if they chose to open the "bubble" and do not have a scalpel that a sterile syringe needle can also be used if they have one.

Also at no time did I say that the chin should not be seen by a vet. In fact I suggested at the beginning of the thread that I thought it should be on antibiotics, which generally need to be obtained at the vet.

Erin stated that she cannot leave her home because of icy road conditions. Using a scalpel to poke a hole through skin stretched tight over a huge fluid pocket is not "cutting it's head open" any more than yanking a scab off of a wound on your arm is. Sometimes you have no choice if you cannot get to a vet. We all understand it's winter and it's really bad on some roads around the US. You have to make a choice whether to risk your life to save your pet or to try something at home if you cannot leave.

Hearing about scrubbing a wound out always makes me very nervous. It's so irritating to the wound and is probably extremely painful.

I've had kits with head wounds several times over the years. Most recently I had a kit get bitten by his litter mate so severely and so many times when they were a day old that he actually ended losing an eye. With the wound I just cleaned it gently with a saline solution and dabbed it with a sterile cotton pad. I believe I ended up cleaning it three times and doing maybe two epsom salt compresses (that's the best description of what I did.) Once it scabbed over I just left it alone and watched. It didn't get infected and it took three weeks to heal up and another two weeks for fur to grow in.

Sometimes with kits you just have to take it easy on the treatment. Keeping it clean is important, of course, but irritating the wound is not the best idea because it needs a chance to just heal. Sometimes certain things work best in certain situations or with specific species. It's always good to have other opinions out there about what to do.

I hope this kit can see a vet pretty soon. Antibiotics should be given at this point, its poor little head has a very nasty infection and is very irritated. I wouldn't mess with the wounds at this point because you could do more harm than good. I don't know if I could even open it with a scalpel.

Do you think that that could just be fluid build up and not an infection causing the swelling?

Had to edit because there were more posts added before I finished up my post. Sorry if I missed something.

Last edited:
Peggy... you are cutting it's head open, lol. If your scab reference is referring to what I said, there is a difference between ripping off and softening with warm water and a gauze pad...

Hello guys! I really appreciate all of your advice. Her abscess seems to be draining on it's own. It is relatively dry and has no smell now. Is that okay?

Also, when I got her out this morning I noticed something. The skin where the hair fell out is extremely bumpy. It's just bumpy skin, all over her back.

The roads have cleared up slightly but not enough to where I can make it to the vet, BUT I have called my vet and do have an option. There is another vet that lives right out side of my neighborhood. I can meet with her this afternoon, but she isn't chinchilla competent and i'm not exactly sure what she can do other than just tell me what's wrong. She can prescribe meds, but I can't get them today. It's going to cost about $100 just for the appointment and more if she does anything. I don't mind, it's whatever you guys recommend. If I do go, I will be walking though.

I do have scalpels and sterile syringes, so whatever you guys recommend now is what I will do.

If the abscess is draining, just keep it open and clean.

If you can't get antibiotics at this vet's office, then I would wait until your regular vet opens tomorrow and hope the roads are clear. Just so you know, this vet can write a prescription that you can take to Wal-Mart or Walgreen's or any other drug store. The sulfa you give a chin is the same stuff they give human kids.

Ugh, I have no clue. But want to wish you and your kit all the best.

The lumps on her back will more than likely be abscesses or haematomas from bite wounds. She needs antibiotics before the infection spreads to her bloodstream.
As I have said before I would not be messing with any of those wounds - try to keep the head wound open by gently cleaning it with some saline (salt water) but other than that I would leave well alone until you can get to a chinchilla competent vet.
The antibiotics are the key for her just now.

Do you have any Septrin (Trimethoprim Sulpha) on hand at all?

If the abscess is draining, just keep it open and clean.

If you can't get antibiotics at this vet's office, then I would wait until your regular vet opens tomorrow and hope the roads are clear. Just so you know, this vet can write a prescription that you can take to Wal-Mart or Walgreen's or any other drug store. The sulfa you give a chin is the same stuff they give human kids.

When you say keep it open and clean what do you mean? It's still open and doesn't seem to be attempting to scab. Do you mean don't let it close together where I can't see in it?

If I can pick it up at walmart then I might be able to get it this evening. Except it's already 5:30 and I am not sure when the vet will be available (after 6 is all I know). I don't know when the walmart pharmacy closes. If not, I know for sure that I can get to the vet tomorrow. It's supposed to get warmer so *crosses fingers*

ETA: I do not have septrin on hand.

Yes, you need to keep the wound from closing or scabbing over - so that the pressure of infection does not build up underneath the scab. The abscess needs to keep draining.
Very gently, with some warm saline & some clean, lint free gauze, wipe over the wound to keep it clean & open. If it starts to scab then hold the gauze with warm saline on the area until it goes soft again - don't press though. Gently, gently wipe any gunk away from the wound.

Yes, you need to keep the wound from closing or scabbing over - so that the pressure of infection does not build up underneath the scab. The abscess needs to keep draining.
Very gently, with some warm saline & some clean, lint free gauze, wipe over the wound to keep it clean & open. If it starts to scab then hold the gauze with warm saline on the area until it goes soft again - don't press though. Gently, gently wipe any gunk away from the wound.

Okay. Does this include the whitish/yellowish stuff on the inside? That's the part that is dry now.

I'm sorry i'm asking so many questions, I just want to make sure i'm doing it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gently wipe over the area with some saline - as long as you can still see the hole & there is not a scab forming then I would say you will be ok until tomorrow when you see your vet - the main thing is not to allow a build up of pus & you should be able to stop that by keeping the wound clean for now.

Latest posts

Back