Fritz question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah. He has not stopped eating since he was picked up. He has a serious love for food. His penis is back to normal completely. Tiffany put it back in its sheath two days ago, and it has remained there. I gave him a hair ring check last night and his penis looked completely normal.

I haven't seen him drink anything, but he is producing urine (and actually using a litter box for it) so I know he has the ability to urinate and has to be drinking something. I know some people were worried about him having a bladder issue due to his tummy being covered in urine. Tiffany said that before Ash picked him up he wasn't on anything inside his carrier. Just the plastic carrier and was laying in his urine. Since then though he has been on fleece or shavings, and no new urine on his tummy is there. Everything on him is now dry, and he will be receiving a "belly bath" today to remove that urine and to make sure he is in fact not not leaking urine or anything of the sort.

Oh yeah. He has not stopped eating since he was picked up. He has a serious love for food.

Oh, that's good then - at least he wants to eat & is able to do so. :thumbsup:

Poor little fella being allowed to get into such a terrible state. :(

Fingers crossed for Fritz.

Thanks. We'll find out what's going on tomorrow morning with Dr. Hart. But until then, he seems happy. Every time I walk into the room he sticks his head out of the top of his hidey house like a little wack a mole to see what I'm doing. He's so cute. :)

Yayyy! He can finally know what home and tlc are!!! Yup,I'm awake and fnally got my eye cleaned/open enough to post(don't ask).We have pics for you too and will get you to copy and post them when we drop by to see your babies!!

Every time I walk into the room he sticks his head out of the top of his hidey house like a little wack a mole to see what I'm doing. He's so cute. :)
He's probably thinking his Christmases have all come at once, bless him - good food, a bath, a nice cage, things to chew ............. :clap1:

Glad to hear he is doing well! Hopefully the shelves worked out for him in his new home. Hopefully I drilled the hole spacing well enough for the style of cage you are using. Those previously had not been drilled and I was drilling them at like midnight the day he got here :)

Thanks. We'll find out what's going on tomorrow morning with Dr. Hart. But until then, he seems happy. Every time I walk into the room he sticks his head out of the top of his hidey house like a little wack a mole to see what I'm doing. He's so cute. :)

I can not WAIT for him to get to the vet and find out what all is up with that poor little bub!

Now on top of everything else, he has a wound under his mat on the right side. It looks fairly fresh too. I just gave him a belly bath which is when I found it. I was washing the mat, trying to break it up a bit, saw the wound and stopped. It's about the size of a dime. It looks like, honestly, someone tried to cut out the mat and cut his skin. Not saying it was anyone here, I'm tempted to say it was the girl who surrendered him. It's about the size of a dime. It doesn't look all the way through the skin, more like the top of the skin was sliced off. Talking to Dana on the phone she thought something was causing him a bit of pain, but wasn't sure what. On the way down here her daughter tried to rub his chest, tummy area and commented that he acted almost like it hurt. This would probably be that reason. I started him on Sulfa and Metacam this morning, and covered the wound in genetian violet. Just a small dose of metacam, but something to at least take the edge off.

Poor Fritz :( Cuts from scissors was why we did not attempt to cut back any of the matting our selves when we had him. None of our scissors are safety scissors with the blunt tips.

sometimes when animals have really really bad clumps the clumps cause the damage...the hair pulling the skin so tight.

True. I hadn't thought of that. With his though it is a perfect cut. It looks like it was sliced with a knife/cut with scissors.

It looks like it was sliced with a knife/cut with scissors.

Oh no. Are the edges of the cut swollen, spreading the cut open? Is it scabbing over? One of my chins got a cut on her chest a year ago and she dug at it so it required staples.

The edges of the cut are not swollen, and it hasn't even started really scabbing yet. It looks really fresh, from like the last 2-3 days. The mat is kinda spreading the cut open since it is weighing it down. I am going to have them shave that area and do some wound care on him tomorrow at the vet.

The edges of the cut are not swollen, and it hasn't even started really scabbing yet. It looks really fresh, from like the last 2-3 days. The mat is kinda spreading the cut open since it is weighing it down. I am going to have them shave that area and do some wound care on him tomorrow at the vet.

I wonder if the girl he came from originally tried to clean him up and ended up cutting his stomach? I said earlier that I had to cut out Rodya's mats when I first got him, but I was at home and had him wrapped up and everything, and they weren't as bad as Fritz's--I wouldn't even know where to begin with the poor guy, so I didn't even touch them. Plus I don't carry scissors in my car haha.

I am SO sorry about my oversight of not putting anything in the cat carrier while he was with me :( Thankfully pAsh has a good head on his shoulders and got him one asap. Again, I'm sorry :(

Good luck at the vet tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to hearing how he does. I'm sure he's gonna feel SOO much better when he's all shaved clean. I would love to see picture of that if you can get them. I've never seen anything other than a fur slip or a wound covered in blu kote, so it'll be interesting for me to see what's under the fur :)

Last edited:
I'm not trying to insert myself where not wanted, just hoping to extend good wishes and concern. As far as the cut goes, it sounds like someone got his skin while trying to cut out a mat. If he was skin and bones and dehydrated, the skin is so thin, it's impossible to tell where skin and fur meet. I guess it would be like cats. You can't cut mats on cats who are sick and dehydrated, either. You can't really insert your finger between the mat and skin because skin can sometimes feel like part of the mat. I can't wait to hear he has come back from the vet with a good prognosis.

Pray for Fritz and me this morning. Vet appt is at 10:40am. I completely broke down on the way to work last night. The utter neglect that he went through just all caught up to me at once and I couldn't handle it. I had to pull over the car I was crying so hard. This poor baby doesn't deserve what he went through, and what he will continue to go through while he gets better. This morning my prayer is for no malocclusion, an uneventful tooth filing, a healing non-infected wound, and a plan for his fur...oh, and to hopefully not find anything else that may be hiding.

Latest posts

Back