Fritz question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essentia

Jax Chinchilla Rescue
Ok, so Fritz (our newest rescue) has a vet appt. on Friday morning to check him over completely. As most of you know he is being railroaded from NY to me, here in FL. I haven't seen him as of yet, other than pictures. He's due to be here tomorrow evening. The last update I have gotten worried me, so I wanted to ask for opinions.

I got a picture of his penis for you, Crysta, I wanted you to know asap about any problems he had. Like Ash said, the head of his penis is swollen and sticking out at an odd angle, and I saw some discharge. His penis was too swollen to retract into the sheath, although most of it was in the sheath. The head itself and the hole (ureter? I don't remember what it's called) were red and looked irritated. The discharge was yellow and crusty. Kinda like what the boys I babysit call "eye boogers" ...(that stuff in your eye when you wake up, lol) There wasn't much, but it was there. I didn't touch it because my hands weren't just cleaned, and I was taking enough of a risk checking for hair ring without freshly washed hands-(I was sure to only touch the sheath, not his penis)-but I knew Ash only has girls, so I wanted to do it quickly. Didn't find a hair ring.

His teeth are definitely overgrown, because I can see his bottoms--something I can't see in my 4 chins when I check their teeth--obviously I can feel the bottom set when they nibble me, though. Anyway, his top teeth are a decent yellow, but his bottom teeth are closer to a white-yellow. It's no wonder he didn't chew on anything Leif offered him with the state of his teeth! Hopefully it is just because they had that really ****ty stone for him to chew on, and he got used to not chewing on anything...I'd hate for him to have a serious, permanent teeth problem.
One other thing I noticed with his mouth area:: his top lip is split in two. Where the lips normally meet together to make that cute little line that people are used to drawing on cat mouths, it is split up to his nose. So he has two completely separate top lips. Not a serious problem, except that his front top teeth are likely to show occasionally. I don't know if this is because his teeth are overgrown or not, but it definitely isn't something new.
His top teeth are about .5 to 1 cm long, and his bottom teeth are about half the size.
His belly, as Ash said, is severely matted. He smells like pee, which is obviously not his fault, and near his penis is stained pretty yellow. Like Ash said, I noticed that his paws are missing fur, and half of his tail is totally stripped. Going all the way down the tail, not like the half closer to his butt or something--you should be able to see it a bit in the pics I attach.

I'm really upset about his state. He was very good for me when I held him and looked at his teeth--I am thinking he may like women better than men, since he didn't kack at me at all, even though I picked him up, checked his penis for a hair ring, and bothered his mouth. But even the five year old boy I babysit for would know that Fritz should be taken to the vet, and he has only seen a chinchilla once--Pico, who I brought out for him to pet. I have half a mind to email the girl's father. What happened to Fritz was obviously severe neglect, and he should be prosecuted.
BUT he is going to a great home and he is going to be okay, so that is keeping me sane right now.

Pictures attached. I'm sorry, I was too upset to get pictures of me handing him off to Ash, or a picture of me and Fritz at least. I'm sure you understand. I did get a picture of him in his cat carrier while we were driving. The close up picture of his penis is very white, sorry about that. But that's the state of it currently. You can see a lot of his mats in that picture.

To me, the discharge from his penis screams infection. Should I go ahead and start him on an antibiotic tomorrow? Also, which would you choose SMZ, or Baytril (I have both here)? If his infection is that bad I am afraid the SMZ won't be strong enough, but at the same time, I am worried about over stressing him with the hand feeding high probability with Baytril. Or should I just leave it along until I can get him to the vet on Friday? What would you do?

Malo or chins with overgrown front teeth can't clean their own penis, the owner needs to do it for them. I have come across that many times with my malo chins, the "stuff" is a bear to get off. I use warm water and patience to clean it and I check them every couple of days. I know a member on CNQ had a chin die from the back up of urine since the exit was plugged. I would make sure it got cleaned well, make sure he is peeing and wait for the vet, JMO.

Last edited:
Scritches and kisses! :) That is all the advice I can offer. Too much of a chinnie novice.

I didn't think about the fact that he couldn't clean himself but that makes total sense.

Last edited:
From what my vet told me, the tri meth is pretty mild & chins can be on it long term. Maybe when you get him if you think it is an infection than give it to him and if the vet Confirms it, then continue or switch to the big guns! I don't think 3 days on tri meth would hurt a chin that wad that neglected.

Essentia,

I can confirm that while he was with me he was able to pee. There were several spots in his cage that were clearly wet from urine.

Tiffany just contacted me. She said he is one big mat and this it is definitely not something that can be groomed out. He will need the mats cut out. She said she was able to get the penis back into the sheath and that it doesn't look red at all, just a bit swollen at the tip. She also said he is complete skin and bones and that she can feel every bone in his body. :( She felt his jaw and didn't feel any weird root growth and that she believes only his front teeth are having issues. Overall she said he is just in really, really rough shape. :(

Others have also thought that the penis may be hanging out due to him being dehydrated so I will be hand feeding him starting tomorrow night when he gets here. I don't have items needed for subq fluids but will get that on Friday. Until then I will mix up a batch of loose CC/Tanya's mix and every other feeding he will get the watered down version to make sure he is taking in the fluids he needs. I will also have Dr. Hart administer subq fluids while we are there.

Should I be doing anything else until Friday? With all the stress going on in my mind I can't figure out if I am forgetting anything.

Becareful with the Sub-Q underweight animals it can cause strain on the lungs from the pressure. So smaller amounts frequently is best with that. Hopefully the teeth issues are caused by the neglect not a root issue. poor little guy may need a shaving rather than a trim

Becareful with the Sub-Q underweight animals it can cause strain on the lungs from the pressure. So smaller amounts frequently is best with that. Hopefully the teeth issues are caused by the neglect not a root issue. poor little guy may need a shaving rather than a trim

Thank you. I didn't realize Subq fluids could cause that. This is the reason I ask you guys! So you would recommend no subq fluids at all and just to go with the CC?

I would give him small amounts frequently. I am only concerened because he is so thin and has no layer of fat between the skin and the organs. But he needs fluids.

crysta--will you have the vet administer anethesia? i am not sure because of his weight and his condition but clearly he needs a teeth trim. anyway if he does, maybe you could wait until then to cut out the mats or have them shaved. that way he is not too stressed. i am sure all this moving around is probably rough on the little guy.
when i just got the chin from NY that was in a carrier in above 85 degree temps, I kinda let him be but immediately gave him lifeline and gas drops and turned the air down so it was nice and cool. so if you have those items on hand it may be helpful. i wish you best of luck with little fritz.

Yeah, Fritz enjoyed a nice cold ride home to my place after we picked him up. His owners had the windows down in their car, thankfully that particular day was not that hot...

Wish I could have done more for the little guy.

Michelle, I'm not going to do anything about his fur for the first little bit other than give him a dust bath unless he has some tight mats that look uncomfortable for him. Tiffany said that they all look to be in the upper layer of fur and are not tight, so it may be something that can easily be snipped without too much stress.

I'm taking one thing at a time though as to not stress him out fully. The teeth come first. I'll discuss with Dr. Hart about possibly cutting his fur while he is under.

Last edited:
do you think wiping his belly with baby wipes or a warm damp cloth would help with some of that staining?? Chewy was in similar condition as he was living in a travel carrier with no shaving or fleece. he was wiped with baby wipes at his first stop and i have been giving him a daily roll in the dust. he has some smaller matting that i think i can pull or comb out, nothing like what fritz is experiencing. poor little dude.

i just figured while he was under it may be a good time to clean that area up. he will be under your care soon and i am sure he will be SO much happier.

I had a lot of success with working out some of the matting Fritz had on top of his head, neck and back by just working at it with a few minutes of itching here and there. Then when he would get tired of the attention we would slip in the dust bath, which seemed to keep the areas from getting matted up again. Might be a worth while strategy to try.

The kacking may be a good sign that his vitality is coming back. When he was with us Saturday night, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday morning he never kacked or made any vocal sounds.

Just a quick question, does anyone know what could have caused Fritz's top lip to split in half?
It was totally split, all the way up to his nose. Even looking at pics of "Little Scarface", I can see that his lips are still connected, and he is missing most of one of them.

Do you think it was because of Fritz's teeth becoming overgrown, or a problem that happened as a kit, or is it a strange "injury" that no one has seen before? I say "injury" because it looked totally healed to me, like an old wound.
I'm just curious.

I have had several females with the split lip it seems to be injuries with tearing of the thin membrane..not really an issue

It is my personal opinion that animals can develop anything humans can sooo yes they can have a cleft pallet

The prolapsed penis could also be due to Fritz being totally run down as well as unable to clean himself.

Whilst he has been on his trip, has anybody actually seen him eat or drink or attempt to eat & drink? :unsure:

Latest posts

Back