Do you love your pets as family?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sat down and figured out a weight:space ratio for Flea versus myself once. I basically get 200g/sq ft in my apt. Flea gets 50g/sq ft in his FN142. So basically his "room" is 4 times bigger than my apartment on a size basis. Plus he gets lots more treats than I do.

This is reason #4684756 why I love you Jeremy... you and only you would sit down and figure this out ;-)

Yes, my pets are family. I call them my kids, furkids, chinchildren, etc... I have pictures of them on my phone, and could spend hours talking your ear off about their daily antics. I take them into consideration when making many big decisions. If I want to travel, can I find a sitter? If I'm moving does the place allow animals, does it have central air, how can I design a room to make it chin-proof? I'm young, and have no plans of having children in the near future. Naturally I devote all my maternal instincts on my furkids.

With that being said, the bond that I share with select human family members is much deeper. I've lost several pets, but none of them were as special as my sweet Lily. I lost her and my Grandfather almost exactly 1 year apart from each other. To this day I still miss them both, but given the chance to have one of them back I would pick my Grandfather without even thinking about it.

I consider my chins and hamsters to be part of the family..... It´s strange because I am awkward and withdrawn around kids (quite frankly, they scare the crap out of me) but I have no problems baby talking to my fur babies and have limitless patience when it comes to caring for them, stressing over what they eat and cleaning up their poop.

My boyfriend is not as close to to chins as I am but he adores his bird family while I am not overly keen on them, to tell you the truth. Our old budgie Gonzo was like a child to us who got away with murder and had hours of free flying time per day but this new budgie......lets just say we are nowhere near bonded yet :S

It´s strange because I am awkward and withdrawn around kids (quite frankly, they scare the crap out of me) but I have no problems baby talking to my fur babies and have limitless patience when it comes to caring for them, stressing over what they eat and cleaning up their poop.

You sound just like me. I've never enjoyed babysitting or playing with young children. You should have seen the reaction I had when a family friend dumped their baby in my arms. I gave it back to the mom as soon as I could without seeming rude. I'm happy for friends/family when they have babies, because I know how much they want them. I find no pleasure in ogling over them, or fussing over pictures they post on facebook. It just doesn't do it for me. Chinchillas, puppies, now we're talking!

You sound just like me. I've never enjoyed babysitting or playing with young children. You should have seen the reaction I had when a family friend dumped their baby in my arms. I gave it back to the mom as soon as I could without seeming rude. I'm happy for friends/family when they have babies, because I know how much they want them. I find no pleasure in ogling over them, or fussing over pictures they post on facebook. It just doesn't do it for me. Chinchillas, puppies, now we're talking!

Hahaha you´re brilliant! I´ll also fuss over animal photos like there´s no tomorrow but go on a facebook friend purge as soon as my newsfeed is clogged up with ultrasound photos even though I´m the biggest hypocrite since I post a lot of pet photos that people must be sick of. I´m 23, give it ten years or so and maybe I´ll stop moving seats on the train the second a pram appears and be able to hold a baby without having an anxiety attack.

Back