Do you love your pets as family?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, I know some people never do. As for me, the moment I get a new pet I love it <3. It may take a month to become like a real member of the family, but it becomes family nontheless. I have been having this argument with a friend of mine for around a month. She has had her new pet bird for a while now and she says she still doesnt really like it. That always gets to me /: . I feel bad that the little guy may never be as loved as he would be with another family. She doesnt get how anyone could even love a pet more than a stranger. I know that I like my dog more than some of my cousins half of the time.

Haha anyways, just thought it'd be nice to share some opinions :)

all my pets are considered family, right down to the little zebra danios in one of my fish tanks. my kiddo addresses herself as the chins' 'sissy' (sister), and i am the chins' momma. the dog that lives at my dad's place knows me as 'mom' and my dad as 'dad' and my kiddo considers herself the dog's sister too. i call one of the cats at my dad's my 'old man' and the other 'the diva child', lol.

when you bring a pet home, you bring it into your family as a family member, and it should be treated as such. plain and simple.

All of mine are considered family. My husband and I consider us mom and dad to them. Our rats respond quite well to "mom" and "dad". If we tell them to go see "mom" or "dad" they know exactly where to go.

Oh definitely. I'm my dog's "mom," and my parents are "gramma" and "grampie." Same with the chins - they're all my "kids" and I'm "grandma" to the kits. I couldn't imagine thinking of the pets as anything OTHER than family. They're all my babies... they're more than just animals. I've never understood how some people can think that pets are disposable... oh it gets sick, just let it die and replace it... I will never get that *shakes head*.

All my pets are family from the first moment they come into the home :D We even class the pigeon that sits on our roof as family, we feed him and he comes to us and we called him Percy :D

I couldn't imagine thinking of the pets as anything OTHER than family. They're all my babies... they're more than just animals. I've never understood how some people can think that pets are disposable... oh it gets sick, just let it die and replace it... I will never get that *shakes head*.

That's exactly how I feel! I told my friend theyre like my little adopted babies and just because we're not related by blood doesnt mean I dont love them. Id do anything for them.

We've only had our chinchillas for a week but man are we attached. They're our babies. We love them very much! The idea of getting rid of one when we found out we had boy/girl was heartbreaking.

Now don't get me wrong, I do love my pets, but my human kiddos will always come first, BUT once a pet comes into my life, unless some unforeseeable circumstances happen, they are here to stay. They are loved as family, and deserve to be treated as such!

I have a really hard time with people that flip their pets, and replace them with another, that they will also eventually become bored with.

Simply put I love my pets however I do not think of them as humans. Do I like them more then most people? You bet. I may refer to them a 'the kids' but they are not truely family to me. I respect each animal I bring home and strive to give them the best life possible and te best diet possible. I have a stronger bond with my dog and my horses then the others but it doesn't mean I don't love the other guys. Everyone from my exotic fish to my chinchillas to my exotic poultry have a place in my heart.

I have an emotional attachment to my pets, but I do not treat them as family. I talk to Flea like a friend, not like he is a child. But that could be because I am a guy- not much on the maternal instinct.

I do love mine like family
Though I'm often reminded by boyfriend(dad) they are just animals and must remember I am important to >_< like all moms we forget about ourselves and ever giving to our kins

I love my pets like family, but still realize that they are animals, and not human, and need to be treated differently than I treat my children. But I love them infinitely and would do anything for them.

I think it depends on family, I have friends I consider family, and blood relatives I do not.

I don't call myself my pet's mom, but am not offended if someone calls me their mom. They are our "fur kids", they don't eat off plates, they don't have bedrooms, etc. They do get cared for, treats, exercise, presents at Christmas, etc. So yes and no. Depends on the extent. :D

Im mom to all my critters! They all have their place in my house (not on furniture or beds), but they are most definately part of the family!

Im mom to all my critters! They all have their place in my house (not on furniture or beds), but they are most definately part of the family!

Could ya tell me the secret, cause the minute I turn my back some large black dog is in my spot, and has MY PILLOW!

They are our "fur kids", they don't eat off plates, they don't have bedrooms, etc. They do get cared for, treats, exercise, presents at Christmas, etc. So yes and no. Depends on the extent. :D

I sat down and figured out a weight:space ratio for Flea versus myself once. I basically get 200g/sq ft in my apt. Flea gets 50g/sq ft in his FN142. So basically his "room" is 4 times bigger than my apartment on a size basis. Plus he gets lots more treats than I do.

Latest posts

Back