Compatable??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like she has very soft cottony fur. Do you know anything on her background?

I still stand by the recommendation of going to a REAL chinchilla show. You won't know the quality of your chinchilla until you do so.

ETA: I totally forgot about that Jeff!! :duh: You don't want to ruin space time or the world as we know it! I wouldn't risk it...

Last edited:
WHAT is known of her background? If you JUST know the parents or a couple generations back you know NOTHING about her background. I can trace my chinchillas back through no less than 5 generations. The chances of my animals having a genetic disease is slim to none...can you say the same with 100% certainty?

What are some of the ranches in the pedigrees? What breeders association are they registered with? MCBA or ECBC?

I only wish people would leave breeding up to the breeders who do it for the right reasons. It would save a lot of people heartache.

About a month ago I had to put down one of my girls due to Malo. In case you don't know, that's a genetic disease. If you don't know the lineage of your chins and whether or not anyone in their line had to be put down due to malo, you don't know whether or not they carry that gene. So any future generations could be at risk.

And to have to put down a 4 year old chin when chins can live up to 20 is a real heartbreaking thing.

my male is neutered cookie hes a homoebony chin. My friend that's a breeder wants to breed my chin and hers together. We are going to introduce first and I am not putting the 2 males together because I know they would fight

And what happens if that other person's chin kills your chin? How would you feel? What if your chin kills hers? It's not at all uncommon!

Once again..I don't understand why people must jump into breeding and get cute furry babies when so many gruesome things can go wrong. Chins are great PETS and I wish more people could enjoy them as just pets instead of having the need to make them reproduce. It takes a lot more research, time, contemplation, etc. before you should even think about putting a male and female together.

only a couple generations back to be honest

That is not enough to ensure there are no health problems in the background. If your "breeder" friend is trying to pressure you into is because she likes the color of your chinchilla don't let her! Your baby's health is MUCH more important than your friend's wants!

Please reconsider what you are thinking of doing. Just because you CAN breed her does NOT mean you SHOULD.

No pedigree ensures there will be no health problems to come up in the future offspring no matter if it goes back 20 generations. The pedigree of the animal in question means nothing to me as far as breeding. The only thing in question as far as breeding it in my book is its quality to improve chinchilla's overall and is it being bred for the right reasons. Unless I am trying to reproduce a certain line a pedigree does not help much as no one that I know of keeps total health records of every animal they breed. Should the original poster decide to breed I just hope they get educated on what they are up against from a mentor with the right goals in mind. Even great breeders produce their share of animals with much less than average quality even out of top show animals, myself included!

Last edited:
Should the original poster decide to breed I just hope they get educated on what they are up against from a mentor with the right goals in mind.

That's what I recommended on Yahoo. I didn't even go deeply into the pedigree part, because lately, malo is popping up everywhere and so are other health issues, so obviously someone is dropping the ball on the whole "keeping health histories" issue and I don't think going back 100 generations is making a lot of difference anymore. I recommended going to some shows (where she will at least learn the proper terminology, if nothing else), learn what's good or bad in chins she thinks about breeding, learn how to pair them up most effectively, etc., and I suggested getting a local mentor who could be more hands on.

As I said before, it isn't to discourage you from breeding, it's to get you to do it right. Way too much impulsivity going on here, and not enough thought.

Once again..I don't understand why people must jump into breeding and get cute furry babies when so many gruesome things can go wrong. Chins are great PETS and I wish more people could enjoy them as just pets instead of having the need to make them reproduce. It takes a lot more research, time, contemplation, etc. before you should even think about putting a male and female together.

I agree with this 100%. It's so much fun and relaxing to have pets. Why would you want to change it into 'work and worry and money spent'? I see so many people who get a cute, fun, fuzzy, loving pet and then they want to breed them. It's really okay to just love your pets as they are. It is really time consuming, hard work and a lot of money to breed any animal and breed responsibly. I leave that to the people who have experience, time, energy, money and the room to breed their animals. Misty-and-Cookie, please let me recommend to you to just enjoy your chinchilla.

Let the breeding belong to the experienced breeders.........Let experimenting belong to scientists AND Let being pet owners belong to the rest of us!

BTW.........that chin is really cute! I love the little smudge on her face.

I have an additional question/something to think about. The idea is that your friend's male moves in with your female right? In order to do this you are removing your male from his bonded cagemate? Do you realize that you will have to re-introduce them when this is all over with and they may never get along again?
Chin pairing and breeding is not a short process. For example, Apr 06 I bought two chins that I wanted to pair. I didn't have kits born until right before Christmas of that year.

I have an additional question/something to think about. The idea is that your friend's male moves in with your female right? In order to do this you are removing your male from his bonded cagemate? Do you realize that you will have to re-introduce them when this is all over with and they may never get along again?
Chin pairing and breeding is not a short process. For example, Apr 06 I bought two chins that I wanted to pair. I didn't have kits born until right before Christmas of that year.

i would bond my female with both males and put her with her bonded cage mate during the day and the other during the afternoon and night.

i would bond my female with both males and put her with her bonded cage mate during the day and the other during the afternoon and night.

That would be an excellent way to get one of your chins killed. It isn't musical chairs. When you pair up chins, you leave them together until you are done with the breeding. You don't move them around like musical chairs.

This is asking for even more trouble. This will cause a fight and get a chinchilla hurt or killed.

Please also review the breeding horror stories. It can happen even with just one breeding. Right now I am handfeeding 5 kits... from 3 different litters It happens.

Latest posts

Back