Clist and breeders

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with a few of you that despite the wording, I believe craigslist intends the pet section to be for adoptions only. However, regardless of being a breeder or a pet owner, many of the people selling animals do not ask a "small fee" for adoption as the rules state, but rather a large sum to try to reimburse themselves for making a bad decision by claiming they are "only asking what they paid"

I find the whole thing very sad.

Actually... agricultural livestock is allowed to be sold on CL, just not in the pet section.

If you go to post an ad for sale under the 'Farm and Garden' section, you will see "legal sales of agricultural livestock OK". Technically, chinchillas are domesticated livestock, so they could fall under this category. I'm not saying that I stick my chins on CL - but, it seems that it's not against the rules since chins weren't really meant to be pets in the beginning. If you're selling your chins as a herd, or as herd improvement stock, I don't see why they couldn't be posted under this section.

I suppose you would be right to post them in that section, I had only considered and looked at the pet section. Interesting loophole!

It Specifically says "NO ANIMAL SALES" that means breeder breeders or BYB or hobby breeders... it means any breeders! It’s for adoptions only.

If there were no animal sales allowed, then horses wouldn't be allowed to be sold and they are sold here ALL the time, as are cows, goats, rabbits, etc. They are sold under the farm and garden or whatever topic. Last time I checked, those were animals. The horses don't go cheap either. Some on there I've seen a price tag of $15,000.00 on.

Everybody knows that you can sell animals on Craigslist, it's just whether someone gets a bug up their butt and reports you. I don't report someone selling a ferret for $75.00. But someone coming on there trying to sell a maltipoocockershepherd for $700.00? You bet your butt I report them.

As far as selling chins specifically on there - what's the big deal? We have had people on forum all the time who should never own chins that I would never sell to. If you sell them on Craigslist, how is that different than posting them on here and weeding through the eejits or posting them at a vets office, or anywhere else. It's up to YOU as the seller to screen your potential buyers. You do the same thing on Craigslist that you would do anywhere else. There are people everywhere I would never sell a chin to, but it certainly wouldn't be restricted to people looking on Craigslist because they don't know where else to look, especially here in SD where I am the only chinchilla breeder who has more than 5 chins they can choose from.

I report rediculousness as well, but there are quite a few people who are flag happy and seem to just flag random posts since they have nothing better to do. There has actually been cat fights of posts between flaggers and the people being flagged here in Michigan. It was quite rediculous.

I used to watch the site for cages when I was working in rabbit rescue... and also witnessed lots of drama sifting through posts

I agree you can find both good and bad people on Clist... but do not personally want to post there to avoid drama and to leave animals who are unwanted find new homes with owners who want them...

note: you can find decent cages, but they have to be seriously cleaned because you never know what the people or animals in it before had... just in case someone gets an idea to get a cage from clist

i got in an arguement with someone on c list and he has been taking my post and putting my phone number and posting free chinchilla call today! must go roomates dont like it or landlord will get rid of me bla bla bla..ive been pretty annoyed with it lol

i got in an arguement with someone on c list and he has been taking my post and putting my phone number and posting free chinchilla call today! must go roomates dont like it or landlord will get rid of me bla bla bla..ive been pretty annoyed with it lol

What a jerk! What started the fight?

In other news: Rodya and Sonya's breeder put an ad out on CL noting that she was "adopting out [her] herd" and I got both Rodya, Sonya, and their (small) baby safe cage for $40.

agricultural livestock is allowed to be sold on CL, just not in the pet section...................you will see "legal sales of agricultural livestock OK".

Agreed. Chinchillas are considered livestock here. Although, I can understand if classifications vary from state to state (not saying they do, but I can understand it IF they do)

I post there, I heavily screen. 99% of the time I do not sell/adopt to the people who email me through there. Usually because they want a quick buy/adopt, don't ask questions, aren't willing to listen/learn, or don't want to switch from their cruddy food. The ones I have sold/adopted chins to through their have actually taken better care of them, and kept them longer then those that contacted me through here, or when I had my web site.

It takes 500 million times the normal amount of patience that most people have though. More drama then you can imagine by the dorks that get mad because they can't have what they want.

I've gotten 2 of my beautiful babies on CL and gave them longer, healthier lives and a loving home when before they had terrible diets and hadn't been out of cage in 3mos. So I'm a fan. It saves chin lives bc so many ppl get them bc they think they're cute and have little to no idea on how to properly care for them and then don't want them any longer. Who cares if ppl get away with selling on CL. Honestly, it is the most popular classified out there and a lot of ppl don't know of anywhere else to go. As for ppl abusing the site and "techinicallities" of the rules, you'll have that ANYWHERE! I agree with screening also. If the potential adopter doesn't have questions and just wants the animal-NEGATIVE! Red flag big time! I was even a bit bothered when I bought mine that they didn't have questions for me on my knowledge or idea of living environment, diet, etc.! I didn't buy this one in particular bc it was in another state but I helped educate the owner bc they had NO idea and this little guy had silent abuse going on since she got him in December! After I educated her, I kept in touch with her a bit checking to see if the lil guy found a new home or not and she decided to keep it after all. I don't think CL is a bad tool, allowed or not. Ppl will always find ways to manipulate any rule or find loopholes. If the little guys are finding good homes and screening is involved, more power to 'em! I've even had an animal that my bf had and didn't have time for on tons of sites that allowed pet sales and had1 reply n w1 month. I put it on CL and had tons of replies right away. Granted after screening, 99% weren't the better home in my judgement but when I found the 1%, they couldn't be happier and I have no doubts that they will be loved and cared for. Win/win for everybody! Loop hole or not!

I agree with what Phoenix said. I post on craigslist as well, especially when I have rescues, but typically I don't sell to the people who contact me through there. At least by me, people seem to think that because it's craiglist, everything should be either free, or a few dollars from it. Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the meaning of "small rehoming fee," or selling chins as livestock in the appropriate section...but people here want something for nothing.

Not to mention, the craigslist people around here lie through their teeth. I once got people emailing me saying "oh well we can get our chinchilla from the humane society for $25, but we thought we'd rather get a pedigreed baby from you so we can breed it later on, can we get that for $25? We'd really like that." I bet they would. The best part is, there is not a humane society in the area that will let you leave with a chinchilla for $25.

And of course that's not the only instance -- I was selling a large ferret cage last week. Had it listed for $55, figuring I could go down to like $50 or $45... and I had someone email me saying "oh there's 3 more ads for the exact same cage as yours and they're all $50, so can you go down to $50?" Now, that's fine, and I did, and they bought the cage. But I was sitting at my computer at the moment I got that email...and not only was there not three ads for the same exact cage for $50.... I couldn't find a SINGLE other ad for even a similar-sized cage for $50.

Not to mention, craigslist idiots get the pet first, cage later, so 90% of them expect you to rush home from whatever you're doing so they can pick up their new chinchilla cage, cause they bought the chinchilla first (without a cage) and didn't put any thought into what they were going to do with the chinchilla when they got it home...and now they're scrambling.

I get a lot of people that see my ads and ask if they can have everything for free because their son has cancer, it's their wife's birthday, yadda yadda.... I get the feeling that a lot of people think that with some sob story you'll just hand them whatever they want. I mean, in my life, I've had to work for what I want, is reality different for some people? At one point I was selling two chins and a cage for $150... I had someone tell me a story bout how their 6 month old chinchilla died some horrific death (can't think of what it was now), and how they'd really appreciate if I could give them the chins and entire setup free, so the guy could surprise his wife with two new chins. Um... if you killed the first one in 4 months, even accidentally, you're not getting any of my chins, especially not free...

IMO craigslist people are often not worth the patience it takes. I put pictures on all of my ads because I know, personally, I'm more likely to look at an ad with pictures... I'll get an email saying hey can you email me pictures.. it's like did you even LOOK at the ad? Typically whatever I'm selling isn't going to require macro pictures from this_far away...

Course, my craigslist ads are also a page long, actually say the dimensions of the cage, the colors, how "used" it is, this and that... so they're not "cage for sale, call the following number." Which also makes me think some people don't read them. Which is fine, but I personally would rather get a pet or a cage or something from someone who posts all the information ahead of time, because those ads that are like "puppies for sale for $50" (and that's it) I imagine get a lot of fruitless emails asking what breed of puppy. I try to avoid that by posting long ads with a lot of information, so that the only people emailing me are ones that aren't asking stupid questions and wasting my time.

All that said, I've met some great people through craiglist. The people who adopted our $1000-in-vet-bills-rescue-chin came from craigslist, and I think they are the best chin-parents anyone could ask for, and with craigslist, I think it's often the case that you really have to weed through the annoying rhinestones to find the diamond.

Wow, that's a book. Sorry.

what bothers me about c list is when people email me, say for instance i had my 2 previous kits on there, i ask them what kind of cage they have bla bla then when i give them advice i get cursed out and told that im rude and they will spend there money else where lol....personally if you snapped on me about me giving you advice im surely NOT selling you my chins..luckily a wonderful lady emailed me and bought both of them and i talk to her daily!

All that said, I've met some great people through craiglist. The people who adopted our $1000-in-vet-bills-rescue-chin came from craigslist, and I think they are the best chin-parents anyone could ask for, and with craigslist, I think it's often the case that you really have to weed through the annoying rhinestones to find the diamond.

That's just it - I am not willing to weed through all the crazies, resellers, meth addicts, cheap bargain hunters and people looking to take advantage. I have never been to that website and I never will. Here, I make myself a little harder to find because I don't want to deal with every single impulse buyer. If someone expects to call and come the same day, then that person has another thing coming. The chins here go slowly...we have to prepare and go over everything. I suppose there's enough people selling chins on CL...they don't need me.

I will never forget the time I had some rescues for adoption and posted a mile long ad. I got three responses, the first was an idiot who asked me if I had any colors other than those posted, and if I would sell him a breeding pair- HA no. Second was an amazing lady whom I am still in contact with, she emailed that she and her husband had been thinking about getting chins for several years and just wanted to be sure she knew everything she needed to know. She ended up getting the chins, and I still go and visit them from time to time. Every new thing I learn I share with her, and vise versa. The last was someone whose ad literally said "i like puppie, how much? good with kids?" Let us just say he didnt stand a chance in the world. I emailed him back just to say that I wasnt selling a dog, but chinchillas. He asked me if it was a designer breed, he never heard back. :)
All in all CL has been fairly kind to me, I have gotten both my FNs from there for less than half the price of a new one.
I think that CL, as well is this forum, must be taken with a grain of salt. You have to know what to believe and who to believe. People who try to be all high and mighty with their information seem to populate in both places, although much less here. In the same way that you have to cross reference your facts you have to screen individuals who are potential adopters.

Last edited:
agreed,
i screened my homes very well when i had my chins on there and luckily i met a wonderful woman for them. She asked all types of questions and asked all about them and admitted she never owned one. I knew she was a purfect match for my chins because i could tell her eagerness to learn and learn the rite things. I still talk to her every day almost and we have become good friends even though she is a good bit older than me and has children of her own. I just believe its all in who you let recieve your animals on c list.. there are the psycho, illiterate morons that you have to deal with but on the plus side there are also wonderful people. I have recieved a good bit of out chins on c list and I love them and take care of them so who i am to judge c list? Its the people on it that ruin it.

I'm not saying it's right to sell your animals on clist, or to sell them at all because they love you.

Unless you are genuinely trying to get them adopted, not just because you don't feel like taking care of them anymore.

But in this forum a lone how many chins have been saved from pet owners who didn't treat them well, like Tank, and if they had sold them some place else where the owner more than likely wouldn't have any idea on how to take care of it, and possibly may have ended up in worse shape than before. Instead the educated people like all of you were able to find these poor things and save them.

I don't know maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

(I didn't go through every single post, so I'm sorry if someone already pointed this out, I scanned because there were some really long ones. :wacko:)

Last edited:
Back