Clist and breeders

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcoronaangel

I have seen a few people on C&H's who are breeders posting their kits for sale on clist in pets section and in the for sale section. I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware you are not allowed to sell your pets on clist if you are a breeder (or hobby breeder)... even if you put that the price for your kits is an "Adoption fee."

Your thoughts on breeders who use clist as a free place to post their ads instead of using a difference service where it's actually allowed?

The actual "rule" is that Craigslist prohibits sale of the following:

"- Household pets of any kind including but not limited to dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish. Re-homing with small adoption fee OK
- Pet animal parts, blood, or fluids - including but not limited to stud/breeding service"

It doesn't matter if you're a breeder or not; you aren't supposed to "sell" your animals on Craigslist. What constitutes a "small adoption fee" is highly debated in many areas, but generally anyone who is charging close to pet store prices for their animals is going to get quickly flagged down (at least on my local CL), breeder or not. The only mention of breeders in the CL rules is that sales of stud services and breedings are not allowed.

I don't think craigslist in general is a good place to list any animals. Breeder or not, the animals shouldn't be on there.

Getting up in arms just because a breeder posts over someone who bought a chin as a pet doesn't make sense. At least the breeder's (not BYB...) animals don't look emaciated, in need of a bath or sickly.

As a breeder I personally won't post there. People know me by word of mouth or I advertise locally. My exotic vet office will also give chinchilla owners my information for education and if they are looking for another pet.

i have my 2 posted on c list but i will not sell them to anyone. i question them to death and if i dont find them fit i tell them no, sadly i dont have many ways to advertise because i dont know of alot of sites except for craigslist... or i wouldnt waste my time posting there.. my intentions are not to just make money or i would sell them to just anyone. i feel that there are good people on craigslist and there are. i have purchased some of my chins on there and i love and take care of my animals..so who am i to deny selling to someone because they saw my animal on c list? :(

You can find good people on CL... but you have to search through a landfill of trash first. I mean... I look on CL all the time... I don't need anything, but I look! There are people on forums that I wouldn't sell to, but that doesn't mean I don't advertise on forums because of it. It's all about how well you screen your buyers.

I love craigslist. I post MANY things for sale there including my pet quality chinchillas. A website is a website, the same people who are on CnH are on craigslist too. Always screen your buyers.

I post on a few places similar..can't remember if there or not ever. I rarely sell to people from there but I have ended up helping many that come to me with questions. I don't think it is horrible for people to post on classifieds where they can...it is the neglectful people with chinchillas in sad shape.

If you are a responsible person I don't see the Harm. CL isn't the devil people make it out to be IMPO CL seems to be becoming a witch hunt. there are bad breeders and bad owners.

I keep a running mental list of bad breeders and bad owners from here. There are several people I will have nothing to do with here...some would likely even surprise you. no website is safe from it

Out here CL is pretty bad. I don't want to deal with the concentration of morons that seem to live by it. Not to mention that I want to be a little harder to find...people need to work a bit at it. I don't want to put myself out in the open and deal with that craziness.

Someone put my name up on CL once as someone to call for chins. It was a well-meaning person, who had me take some rescues for him...I believe that's who it was. After that was posted I had so many people bothering me...people that I didn't want anything to do with, mostly want to be backyard breeders. Yikes...

At this point in Arizona there is a lot of desperation. A lot of people have lost their jobs and house. That coupled with the fact that we have a lot of insanely stupid people out here makes CL a perfect place to cause a lot of frustration and annoyance in my life.

If you're posting on CL to sell your animals, you're in the wrong. You are not allowed to sell animals on there, regardless of whether or not you're a responsible breeder or a BYB.

I've posted to hoobly on several occasions. However, I screen adopters just like I screen adopters through the forums, or that find me through my website.

I do think CL adoption fees are a joke-100+ dollars for a rat faced chin is not a adoption fee, it a recoup of money spent on a petco chin. CAchins does advertise on CL, I don't agree with rescues going to CL people, they have had enough hard times.

We've had a constant battle with volunteers wanting to have our rescue post animals on CL. I won't do it. I wanted to stay as far away from CL as possible, I consider CL to attract the lowest common denominator and don't want our animals going to people with that kind of mentality. I finally compromised a little and we now post upcoming events on CL, with no mention of specific animals.

See, I've found some GREAT homes on similar websites. Yet, I've turned down people from forums such as this one too. I don't mind posting, but i'm also willing to ask questions and screen homes to insure my chins are going to a decent home.

You can find some good homes, but you need to be willing to weed through people- JUST Like you need to be willing to do it if they find you from a forum, or a google search. I found my Thoroughbred Gelding on CL, and I surely wouldn't call myself a bad owner because he was found on CL.

I don't think it has anything to do with where you advertise your animals, but rather the screening of the potentional new owners.
Irresponsible owner/buyers/sellers are not all on CL type website etc. and are found under every class of society.

Last edited:
I posted a couple chins a while ago there, and didn't know that it wasn't a good idea to do it, I will delete the ads as soon as possible, but also, I tend to get a couple questions about the "item" and stuff, and they want me to send them my personal information, so it is like spam e-mails, I am not planning on ever post an ad ever again on there, I just feel it doesn't seem safe to me, and that way, I will never reach people that really care and truly want to have a pet chin and be a good owner. I just realized that now, but by seeing your opinions, it supports with more reason my concern,

If you're posting on CL to sell your animals, you're in the wrong. You are not allowed to sell animals on there, regardless of whether or not you're a responsible breeder or a BYB.

That is not true, legal sales of agricultural animals are o.k. If you want to get to the nitty gritty, you could sell a pelting herd or any animal you intend to pelt or eat there, they are regulated by the USDA as an agricultural animal, not a pet.

If you are selling them for the purpose of a pet then that changes.

We've got some crazy people here that flag everything. I listed one for someone once - they wanted $50 for the cage/chin and all supplies. It was flagged in less than 20 minutes. I don't bother now, ended up taking her in and finding a home for her myself.

As Megan said, I got my kitten off CL, that doesn't make me a bad person or owner. It's all about screening. I can understand a large rescue in a large city/area not wanting to have to deal with the masses of undesirables, but you will get that from any public advertising.

;) thanks It Specifically says "NO ANIMAL SALES" that means breeder breeders or BYB or hobby breeders... it means any breeders! It’s for adoptions only.

Clist doesn't allow the sales of animals... whether you are going to pelt them or eat them. Animals sales are not allowed in the "for sale" section either... so if people try and say they aren’t for pets and they are selling them in the for sale section that wouldn’t work out either bc a chinchilla is still an animal whether it’s a pet or not.

Last edited:
Having said the above I believe you can find Amazing homes on CL. I use it to the fullest extent for all my rescues I work with. We raise donations, find homes, volunteers ect

Sure we get the crazies like you would any where else but I don’t think CL ppl in general are any less deserving of a pet then say someone of the OC Register (our local newspaper).

I just found an amazing home for a puppy GS Abbey I posted on here from Clist. Home check adoption fee and meet and greet later and she lives on 5 acres, has her own stay at home dad and a brother GS. And that’s just one example of many homes I have found after weeding through applications.

I don't think you can say EXACTLY what the site means when the clause is put in such a way that it leaves it up to interpretation.

Tara is right though...chinchillas are considered agricultural animals like cattle so they aren't held to a lot of the same rules as animals we consider pets (cats and dogs).

Back