Breeding and Guaranteed Chinnie Health

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the damage of that particular chin is done. But if the screening identifies the problem resulting in the chin not being bred or removed from breeding far earlier then if you waited for the other symptoms.
. Then you are reducing the problem in future generations. If you can find the bumps in a screening then you are preventing future genrations from passing on the mal. If you prevent one or several litters from being born then you are helping reduce the occurance of mall. In the future.
No it is not the perfect catch every single case of mall. early. But for every case identified before breeding is to everyone including the chinchilla's as a whole by limiting or reducing the occurance of mall. overall.

Not according to what I have been told by those who actually practice the screning. It can be identified far earlier then the visible symtoms are seen. My understanding that these bumps can be felt months before any other symptoms are present.
I am not exactly sure how early these bumps can be felt .But since many put their chins in breeding begining at around 9 months I believe that in at least some cases they can be felt then. But that doesn't mean they can't test ok at that age and not develop them later on. That is why i suggested rescreening of any chins with in a line where a chin has mall.
I have never claimed that anyone stated a chin with mall. should be bred . what I have stated over and over is that responsible breeders should examine and remove chins from a line that a chin developed or even suspected of genetic mall.
And it is not responsible to claim that mall. at a older age is environmental/not likely to be genetic. as such a philosophy can will and has lead to higher rate of mall. occuring.
Because breeders will not take the nessicary actions and remove the parents ands sibs ect from breeding as should be done in the case of genetic or suspected genetic mall.
Why would re-screening be necessary, the chins with malocclusion, its siblings and parents should all be pulled from breeding.

I didn't read through all of this, but I was thinking about something, people who say if it's not malo that is shown early in life then it must be environmental, I think that generally speaking that is wrong.

Weimaraners are prone to hip displaysia, but they don't develop it until later in life generally, which is why you x-ray and have the hips certified. What about people with heart disease that's genetic? Would to be safe to say that you are clear of all genetic heart disease if you don't have it by the time you're twenty? No.

I might even contradict myself on any previous posts because I was going off what I've been told, and not using my own brain to think about things.

ETA:
Why would re-screening be necessary, the chins with malocclusion, its siblings and parents should all be pulled from breeding.

I would bet all of the chins in my herd that if everyone pulled any and every chin that has had ANY malo in any part of the lines anywhere there would be no chins for breeding. I've been told, and believe that malo is recessive, you need two carriers to produce it, and I see that as very plausible.

Last edited:
Why is rescreening nessicary? the entire line IMHO should be rescreened. That includes uncles aunts ,cousins ect. From that line and then depending on what is found further animals may be removed from the line other then the very closest related to the chin in question.

I would bet all of the chins in my herd that if everyone pulled any and every chin that has had ANY malo in any part of the lines anywhere there would be no chins for breeding.
I don't believe that would be the case but if it is, that is really sad.

Wasn't the first beige a chinchilla with teeth problems?

I will not breed ANY chin here with teeth problems. Genetic, Environmental--I don't care. It gets teeth problem, it will not be bred. However, I do believe some may be genetic, and some may be caused by environmental factors (falling, etc).

On the same note as CTchin. I had a really pretty chin named Glitter that I wanted so bad to have babies ended up developing malloclusion at 6 years of age. I found her bumps along the jawline a year before she showed symptoms.

Now, I screen all my breeders and potential animals I buy for malloclusion. Just too paranoid. And as far as any of them developing it-all will be pulled and culled.

Even with all the bickering between certain people-I find this thread very interesting. All evening I have been going back to this thread eating popcorn, nectarines, and goldfish crackers. I think I've gained 2 lbs just sitting here reading.

Bad Jessica Bad

oh wanted to add also. What do you all think of a kit having malloclusion at a really really young age.

I had a mom who went through heat stroke because the breeder was very careless when transporting the chin to me. Anyhow-she was pregnant, delivered a normal appearing kit. The kit grew very very slowly and at 2 weeks of age only weighed 60 grams from 50. Closer inspection showed this kit had malloclusion. Her teeth were very bad-worst I have ever seen. The kit was euthanized. Would you feel this was genetic or environmental?

I am not very experienced with mallo as I have only seen one case with a chin I purchased and was pretty advanced. However, This thread is a very good learning tool about it and with that said I would like to ask those of you who have more experience with it. What is your screening process? I have chosen over the last (approxiamtely )2 years to have my chinchillas x-rayed at 12-15 months and last year I x-rayed the 10 I had left of my original herd all at once babies to old retired animals that I have bred in the past and i am getting ready to have last years kits done. And I am asking if this is enough or should I have more x-rays done later in life? What is a good screening program?

Last edited:
We are some of those old timers who check for bone spurs before they are ever put in breeding. If there are spurs they will never see a breed line. I haven't seen anyone on this thread come right out and say they would breed one with malo. The problem i have is many of you seem to want to discount the studies that were done many years ago. Research is research whether it was published in a vet journal or not. It is recorded in the book Luke talks about. When some argue so strongly that it isn't genetic it makes me wonder how many just might breed ones with malo because it is suggested it is just invironmental, which it is not. Even if one starts at a late age I still believe it is genetic and its recessive, barring an accident like a fall or something like that.

i too believe that mal is genetic and recessive. the problem is that this means that the number of carriers in the chin population is mind boggling other wise it could not be that we will all run into teeth issues sooner or later. it also makes sense that the occurrence of mal carriers in the population should be very very high when you consider how very small the gene pool of captive chins is.

Everyone will have it sooner or later in their herd. When you sell an animal and it is healthy, there is no way down the line you can tell if it will pop up, unless you knowingly breed a malo chin. They can develope it early, mid life or in later life. The only way to solve the problem is to pull the malo chin and the lines it is from. It is recessive and will crop up sooner or later down the line. Like I said we check them and if there are spurs we don't use them.

Very well said Vicki! Makes me wonder why so many are so strongly argueing that Mal. isn't genetic at a old age. Makes me wonder if they are using that arguement to justify not pulling certain lines from breeding that they would have to if they admited that it was genetic.

Very well said Vicki! Makes me wonder why so many are so strongly argueing that Mal. isn't genetic at a old age. Makes me wonder if they are using that arguement to justify not pulling certain lines from breeding that they would have to if they admited that it was genetic.

Makes me wonder, if as usual, you are wanting to continue a fight that has already died down. I suppose if one were to beat you over the head with a sledgehammer and point out to you AGAIN that no one is advocating breeding maloccluding animals, you'd still find a way to twist it around until it looked as though you were the only one in the world who stands on the moral high ground.

Let me re-state, ad nauseum, what everybody keeps on saying but that you keep trying to twist and point fingers at - No one in this thread deliberately breeds maloccluding chins. I personally have had two maloccluding animals in my barn, both were purchased, not born here. Both were put to sleep and their former owners notified. One had offspring which was castrated and sold, obviously, as pet only. The other I still have and she is in a trio of girls who will never leave here. I'd like for them to go to a pet home, but I don't trust anybody else not to breed her, so here she stays.

Now, can you manage to even attempt to keep it on topic Luke? Dispense with the puking emoticons, the flag waving, and the accusing? There actually is some good information in this thread, if you could just manage to post it and keep your obnoxiousness in check.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but this issue is kind of important to me....one thing I would like to encourage every breeder to do is to check your chin's jawline for odd bumps and mouth for spurs like Merritts said earlier. Check at least once a year. I had a chin just put down and one still alive that I detected bumps early, pulled from breeding and it isn't until several years later they showed "classic" mal symptoms. I have heard from other breeders also. Don't wait for symptoms. It could be environmental but why take a chance? We'll never totally eliminate mal but perhaps we can get it under control.

OK I have a question for those of you far more experienced with mallo.. If my 19 year old female suddenly develops spurs but none of her offpsring even her 12-15 year old offspring have any would I still pull the whole line? Being as paranoid as I am I probably would if that happens but would anyone else?

Tunes glad to see you posting to this thread again.
But I have never claimed that anyone said it is ok to breed a chin with mal. But what I have said over and over again. Is continueing to breed chins from LINES were mall. has occured. In fact that wasthe point I made in post #76,#79,#83,#92,#98 and in post #104 of this thread and may be in a few other places.
I will continue to maintain as I have througout this thread that IMHO it is irresponsible for any breeder to consider that a chin that develops mall. at a any age not to be genetic and not to take action of what animals stay in breeding within the effected line after detailed research and screening of all chins in the LINE that the chin from Mall. originated from.

Tunes glad to see you posting to this thread again.
But I have never claimed that anyone said it is ok to breed a chin with mal. But what I have said over and over again. Is continueing to breed chins from LINES were mall. has occured. In fact that wasthe point I made in post #76,#79,#83,#92,#98 and in post #104 of this thread and may be in a few other places.
I will continue to maintain as I have througout this thread that IMHO it is irresponsible for any breeder to consider that a chin that develops mall. at a any age not to be genetic and not to take action of what animals stay in breeding within the effected line after detailed research and screening of all chins in the LINE that the chin from Mall. originated from.

SO you've made your point Luke. I feel like your ignoreing everyone else when they are all saying the same thing. I jus read this whole thing over again and everyone is saying to pull those chins from breeding and your still pushing and shoveing it down out throats. (IMHO).

I am sorry folks but this is why I stay away from the debate section. Some people don't realize they are argueing with themselves.

Tunes, anyway to Bann mefrom juyst the Debate section?:banghead:

The problem i have is many of you seem to want to discount the studies that were done many years ago. Research is research whether it was published in a vet journal or not. It is recorded in the book Luke talks about. When some argue so strongly that it isn't genetic it makes me wonder how many just might breed ones with malo because it is suggested it is just invironmental, which it is not. Even if one starts at a late age I still believe it is genetic and its recessive, barring an accident like a fall or something like that.

I just want to clear this up from my point of view. :)

Malocclusion is erroneously used as a blanket term to cover all dental problems in the chinchilla world - it is poorly understood in terms of it's development and it's aetiology. Malocclusion is is poorly defined in chinchillas - very rarely do you see differentiation between true malocclusion (where the occlusal surfaces are misaligned or the jaw deformed in some way) and other types of tooth problems (such as dental caries, root elongation, age onset spurs through ?lazy jaw action with no root elongation or deformity, or traumatic injury etc).

We rarely expect a human to reach 50+ without having some form of dental work and yet we seem to expect chins to reach 6+ and not have any dental problems - I find that incongruent tbh. Dogs and cats suffer dental caries and require teeth cleaning, rabbits who do not have enough forage do not wear their teeth properly etc etc ............. there's a whole realm of possibilities that we need to acknowledge. Lauridsen's work showed only 1 chin hit 6+ and then develop malocclusion - he does not define what sort of malocclusion it was and it is not statistically significant in a sample of 2500+ chinchillas - interesting and leaves us with more questions than answers! :duh: Does that mean it is not genetic or have a genetic component? Does it mean it is not environmental or have an environmental component? Not necessarily - it's not proven one way or another and Lauridsen does not distinguish.

The Crossley paper reports that true malocclusion was seen on only a few occasions with chinchillas presenting with tooth problems but he does differentiate between the problems seen - again, interesting and leaves us with lots of questions. He also goes further to examine tooth structure under microscope etc.

I do not think anyone can say with 100% accuracy that malocclusion is either just genetic or just environmental - that is far too simplistic. It is far too under-researched and would take considerable time and enormous numbers of animals to "prove". Having said that I do think there are often multiple causal factors involved and it would be presumptive to think that anyone has a clear answer - even Lauridsen recognises that other factors can be involved and he takes that into account in his paper.

What is undeniable is that malocclusion (and I am using the term in it's broadest sense) is a terribly affliction in chinchillas and any chin showing any signs of malocclusion should be culled from a breeding herd. I think that goes without saying as responsible breeding practice and I do wonder if that's why many people in this thread have not belaboured the point - because for most of us it is a given and does not need reiterating.

As I said previously:
True malocclusion may well be genetic and recessive in origin but, as with the majority of chinchilla issues, it is not clearly demonstrated through robust, valid research. Our "knowledge" is largely gathered through the anecdotal evidence of long term breeders passing down their experiences and "research" (i.e. observational and breeding trends) to others. I would not be too hasty in dismissing some of the very detailed work breeders/ranchers have written in their breeding/herd books - some of which go back decades.
There are certainly other factors which are involved in the development of dental problems in chinchillas - these factors include but are not limited to: trauma and injury, abnormal tooth wear patterns in older age, illness, calcium and other mineral deficiencies (for example, multiple breed backs seen in rescues often results in malocclusion and bone demineralisation or lack of bone density as evidenced on Xray examination etc), and malnutrition.

I do not dismiss Lauridsen's work (I believe it has merit) but in terms of debate and discussion it is not necessarily a robust enough piece of work on which to base an argument (as Luke was trying to do). It does not go into enough depth to allow for critiquing. Nevertheless it is an interesting paper and I would love to see the full work behind it (which is partly what EP and I were asking for) so that I can delve into it further. I'd also like to see the work replicated so we could compare results because I think that would be very interesting. :)

As in all things chinchillas - we need more good research!! :hair:

Last edited:
Back