Breech baby, worn out mom...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great name! I'm so happy to hear that both mom and baby are doing well. Can't wait to see pics.

Well about the odd spelled name, the vet's name is Tammy, and if not for her, I know the baby wouldn't be here. When I got there she was all ready to go, I walked in the door, took her out and we put her right under. She respected the fact that I knew what I was talking about ( something that's hard to find in a vet sometimes! ) and was ready for what I told her. She didn't take 20 minutes to second guess that I'd been up all night already rubbing, running, and poking on Finnie.

FINALLY! The pics! I tried to load them last night but photobucket was down. I tried to get pics of her incision, but I couldn't hold her and the camera and I didn't want her hurt her as she's obviously very sore. Tamgerine is doing great, spunky little devil and was hard to photograph as well! I feed her about 1 last night, then again this morning and her tummy was pretty full, so she must be getting some milk from Finnie, which is awesome. I will continue to supplement her as she did willing eat this morning when I offered it.

Without further ado...
FINNIE! The wonder chin!
finnie3.jpg

And sidekick... Tamgerine! ( and yes, that is a normal sized kit... Finnie is just HUG ANTIC! And people worry about smaller chins not being big enough to pass kits. )

finnie2.jpg

finnie.jpg

HEY! Why do I have to be the sidekick?!

finniebaby.jpg

Finnie obviously need a bath after everything that's happened, but we'll wait until she's doing a little better, I don't want her twisting a lot until she's healed more. I was debating at maybe hand bathing her, but I'm afraid it will send her into roll around mode.

Thanks again everyone for all of your concerns and well wishes. Finnie is doing amazing, and I've been so worried the baby wouldn't get any colostrum and not do well, but she's been doing great so far. In fact we might just give her a title... like Tamgerine the Great! LOL

Last edited:
Glad they are both still doing well!! I love the name and the meaning behind it! That little pink nose peeking through is just too adorable!

She is sleeping a lot, I have her on light metacam for the pain, she's get up and check things out every once in a while then flop down like man that was a lot of work! She was carrying triplets so I'm sure the pregnancy, paired with the labor, then the surgery... I'd be exhausted!

she is a big beautiful girl & baby is a little beautiful girl.

its great that you found a vet that actually respects your opinion, not an easy task!

Both are doing great this morning, Tamgerine's tummy was almost compelete full feeling when I felt her belly, and I feed her last night about 11:30, which means Finnie must have milk in! She did eat one dropper full, but then didn't want anymore.

Finnie is eating good and drinking okay, she loves her baby and cleans it all the time, much to the very independent girls' dismay. Tamgerine will stay here, she should be an awesome female, but I'll be sure to check her pelvis to make sure she didn't get that from her mom.

It's great to hear that Finnie and Tamgerine pulled through! How much does Finnie weigh? She certainly is a big girl. I love that little nose peeking out.

aw such grea pictures! Tamgerine has the cutest little nose. Its great everything came out well considering all that she went through.

I'm going to say she's currently around 750-800 grams, I haven't weighed her recently, and Dr. Craig weighed her at the clinic for meds, but I guess I didn't ask or think about it. Tummy was pretty full this morning, been eating some, but not a lot, which is good, mom's got the better stuff!

Oh, thank goodness that they both pulled through for you!!!

I love that little pink piggy nose on Tamgerine, as well as her unique name!!!

I just updated myself on this thread. The mother looks super! It's hard to believe she's doing so well after all that. Baby looks so healthy. The kit is really good sized. What was her birthweight? Congrats on your hard work caring for them.

My scale is at my moms so I'm not positive, but I'm going to put them all in the 40 -45 gram range, although she was the only survivor. Finnie is doing great! They're about ready to upgrade to a bigger cage, she's spending more time playing when she's out for me to change the towels in her cage and looks as if she's not hurting much anymore!

Both are doing great, we're counting down days until bath time!

Just wanted to update. Finnie has been fully in charge of Tamgerine's care, no more hand feeding or supplementing, she LOVES being a mom. I'm so sad this will be her one and only chance to have a live baby, she's waited so long for her too. ( out of 8 babies, three litters, this c-section baby is the only live one who made it out)

Tamgerine is WILD, and loves to show off. Both are doing great and hopefully I get some new photos of them soon!

Back