Blue Diamond Babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on your beautiful babies Mark! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us all on C-n-H. I would love to see more of them as they grow. :)

Nicole (Riven) and I went in together on a deal with a breeder in Denmark who has worked with the Bd's for several years. I was just lucky to have the first ones born, but she will have some born soon too. The quality was very good on the ones he sent us, so we've got nice stuff to work with. Nicole has more breeders and more room then I have, so she got double what I got to work with. We are both going to try to improve on the qualities that are already in them. 4 of the original ones we got placed 1st or higher in shows in Denmark. We are both very excited to be working with this color and are both going to strive to improve the quality with each generation. It will be quite a challenge to do so, but we will try. It is a very unique color in person, pictures don't do them justice.

Very exciting, I love them. But I don't understand why you have them with a piece of carpet, it seems like you are just asking for a blockage.

Very exciting, I love them. But I don't understand why you have them with a piece of carpet, it seems like you are just asking for a blockage.

I asked the same thing but breeders here said it was OK to do and they have had no problems. I know mine would be having carpet balls but maybe the Moms have too much to do and ignore the carpet.

Very pretty color and kits!

Last edited:
Here are two pics taken by the breeder prior to sending them, these are two of the BD males that I could find the photos of easily. We were very lucky to have gotten this opportunity to work with these animals the way that we did. I am working on an article on them with assistance of the original breeder regarding history etc, but it's been slow going with my school going full swing. I think my chins all together think they are being neglected.

ChinforUS066.jpg

ChinforUS032.jpg

I just wondered, would it not be better to breed a blue diamond chin to a standard blue diamond carrier instead of breeding the blue diamond chin to a violet s/c or a sapphire v/c? to my opinion, it seems like two sapphires or two violet are being bred together, and in essence the mutation is like that, but at the same time, would it not be better to use some standard carriers instead of the violets or sapphires to breed them?

By the way, I love the rolls on that blue diamond chins :)

blue diamond isn't a gene, it's a hybrid. you would use standard sc/vc, not a standard bdc. By using a violet s/c or sapphire v/c, you know that any violet kits out of that pairing will carry sapphire, and any sapphire kits will carry violet. If you use a standard sc/vc, you have no way of knowing what any of the kits carry unless it's a blue diamond.

However, that's the only advantage I see to it. I have concerns about how much improvement the overall quality gets by not using standards every so often. But I'm sure Mark and Nicole have a plan.

Any offspring from a Blue Diamond will carry both sapphire and violet genes gauranteed. In europe, they call them bdc's, we call them vc/sc, but they are the same thing. When you mate a standard to a bd you get 100% standard vc/sc, when you mate a standard vc/sc to a bd you get 25% of standard vc/sc's, violet s/c's, sapphire v/c's, and bd's. He sent us 3 violet s/c females to help get us started faster producing bd's. A violet s/c mated to a bd will produce 50% violet s/c and 50% bd offspring. My litter was out of the violet s/c female he sent me.

Latest posts

Back