Beached Whales!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, my Nanuk is currently expecting as well, it is an exciting time waiting for the day that they will finally deliver. This will be her third time, the first time she had 2 boys and her second time she had 3 boys. The way the numbers are going she may end up having 4 this time...haha...

Congrats! Glad the wait is over! The babies look great! :)
I have to brag a bit about my 2 beige girls born on Monday to one of my favorite beige mommas, too. Yay, baby week!! :D

So cute Juanita. Congrats. Now convince the other to hurry up because I want to see what she is going to have. ( smiles )

And then there were two... :(

We lost one of the triplets...so sad. Mom's milk was very slow to come in and the kits were all so small and didn't have a strong suckle instinct. I decided to try fostering the biggest kit out as suplementing wasn't going well. The foster mom took to the kit well and everything appeared to be going well but a couple of hours later I found him with his skull mis-shapen and his back appeared to be broken, back legs going a different direction than front legs and no longer able to walk or nurse.

Apparently, one of my females got into the run and entered anothers cage, the ruckus must have caused the foster mom to wall surf landing on the kit. It is the only cause I can come up with because the kit was dry and there was no evidence that it was attacked by the foster mom, no blood or bite marks. Foster mom was attempting to keep it warm and trying to get it to nurse. It was pitiful and a very sad ending.

The remaining two kits are doing well and have gained back their birth weight, not a lot to lose to begin with. I am very cautiously optimistic with the remaining two. Here they are in glasses that are 2 1/2 inches tall weighing in at 34 and 40 gms each.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 65
Sorry to hear about the 3rd baby. That is so sad when it happens. :(
I have (or had) five beached whales who had their babies between 2wks ago and now- 9 babies (3 beige, 1 mosaic, and 5 standards). All singles and doubles weighed between 50 and 78 grams when born, the one litter of triplets (3 beiges) weighed- 54g, 56g, and 63g. Those are the best weights I've had for trips in a long time. :) All are very healthy.

i love the pics of the dogs waiting at the top of the stairs bc thats exactly how mine look! Everytime I go down stairs to do anything they sit at the top of the stairs like they are really missing something!

I would also like to know where you get that. I have been EXTREMELY lucky most of my triples and even quads the mother has been able to feed all. I even had a mother give birth to quads (3 mosaic, 1 standard) in Jan and just gave birth again to quads - same colors, same sexes and fed/ is feeding all. That mom is going to have a LONG rest next year.

I use just plain fenugreek, I can get it at the supermarket. I open the capsule and sprinkle a little bit on their supplement.

I have to wonder about the measurements she suggests. Why are large rabbits getting the same amount as the degus, which is less than the small/medium rabbits, chins and cavies? I think 1t total per day for chins might be more than enough.

Getting bigger!

Becky is getting fatter and fatter each day, here is a "Wide Load" shot!

Also a side shot. She has now gained just over 500 gms and her nickname is Puddles. If she lays down her side just puddles around her, unfortunately I cannot get a shot of that.

She is happy and perky and doesn't act a bit uncomfortable, she is simply amazing, eating and drinking like a champ. Two more weeks to go.

Attachments

• DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back