Beached Whales!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
Okay so I am on pins and needles waiting for one of my standard girls to litter. She has been in breeding for 6 months so I am not sure when she was bred but she is getting too large to move around much anymore. I had to remove her breeding collar because she was literally growing around it (hence evidence of blu-kote in the cage). I have attached pictures but this girl is one whale of a chin! This past weekend she weighed 1036 gms. Today she looks like she is starting to open so I believe she will litter any day now. I know that large chins can have problems during littering so I am hovering.

The picture of the mosaic is a girl who has only been in breeding for 2 months and she has already gained over 300 gms. The picture makes her look deceptively smaller than she really is but she didn't tolerate the flash too well so I didn't want to take anymore. She still has about 6 weeks to go if she was bred on the first day I put her with her male - I don't even want to think about how many she might be carrying. She weighed just over 700 gms when I put her into breeding and she is now over 1000 gms already - lol! I barely have patience for triplets let alone anything larger

Attachments

• DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0175.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC_0176.jpg
    DSC_0176.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0174.jpg
    DSC_0174.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 232
Keeping my fingers crossed that they are just big girls who had late growth spurts. I like single births best but twins are good as well. Triplets I have never had good luck with and the possibility of anything larger has me thinking about taking up drinking heavily! :)

After all the hand feeding you have done this year.........I would drink like a fish if they had quads. Yikes!

Sending good vibes for healthy kits and perhaps just twin births for both.

Yep - he's a little thief, he is! Good thing I love him so much! :)

Gertie is twice his size - she needs to whomp him the next time he tries to steal from her!

Here's my current beached whale. I seriously thought she was due two months ago.

Attachments

• beachedwhale.jpg
    beachedwhale.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 136
Keep us posted Mish! Mine still haven't exploded (of course I don't expect my mosaic Becky to until mid January). Still watching and waiting, my standard Gertie could be any minute.

Gertie

Still waiting.... I think she is intentionally hanging onto them (yes, that is her neck resting on the block, could her dewlap be any larger)?

Other pictures are of my 3 dogs (Bailey, Jack and Zoey) who wait for me patiently at the top of the stairs whenever I am in the basement with the chins.

Attachments

• DSC_0196.jpg
    DSC_0196.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0198.jpg
    DSC_0198.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0197.jpg
    DSC_0197.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 69
I hear ya...but will do whatever is required! She is resting as comfortably as she can so it doesn't look like any 12/1 babies.

My beached whale FINALLY gave up a healthy set of twins this morning - a violet boy and a carrier girl. Yay!!
Hang in there in Ohio!!

Still waiting here...she isnt gaining anymore weight and isn't moving around much at all so I know she is getting close. The watch continues here in Ohio....

Thirteen had her kits today, some time this afternoon since they weren't there this morning. Male and female, I believe they're both whites. The female has an all-grey tail but she has white toes, so we'll see if she lightens up. Still no sapphires from this pair though. =p

Attachments

• susie1.jpg
    susie1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 87
  • stanley4.jpg
    stanley4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Back