Baby kit with pneumonia! Please help! I'm a wreck!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

riceball347

Bokie, my three week old orphan (his mother died giving birth) just came back from the vet. I noticed him having shallow breathing last night and I went to the vet first thing in the morning. He has pneumonia and the docs said it looks grim... I just checked on him and tried to feed him and it looked like he was having a seizure...

They gave him antibiotic shot, fluids under his skin and a nebulizing treatment. I am taking him to the vet (if he makes it through the night) for another nebulizing treatment in the morning and then again in the evening. Currently he is in my bathroom with a heater. I'm so worried about him. For 3 weeks I have been feeding him around the clock and I am so devistated. Should I ask the vet to go ahead and give me some antibiotics to take with me?

I need to know the temp he needs to be at and what to do with him not eating. Should I hold him close or leave him alone? I just don't want him to die without someone there holding him close...

I'm literally a crying mess..

ANY advice would help tremendously.. thank you everyone

I'm afraid I don't know much about kits especially sick ones but I am sure someone with experience will come along shortly to help you out. Hang in there.

Keep an eye on him, I'm afraid I don't know much about kits either but try to be positive. My chinchilla, Furby was really sick when he was young and I was such a mess for a couple months. But someone on here told me that they can sense when you are stressed or sad and it's important to be optimistic around them and talk to them and it really helped my state of mind and probably his. As for holding him, I would let him rest a bunch but definitely keep an eye on him and keep him company. It sounds like you're taking really good care of him just don't give up. As for not eating, he does need to eats. I don't know what to handfeed kits, but I'm sure someone on here does. Is he staying hydrated?

I am crossing my fingers for him and you, I know how heartbreaking seeing them like that can be. :hug:

Last edited:
You can try steaming the crap out of your bathroom, turning off the water, shutting the doors and sitting in there with him.

I would definitely get some type of antibiotic. It isn't going to hurt and it might help.

It is possible that he was having a seizure, and if so, he may be reaching the end of his life. Keep him close to you and cuddle him. I'm with you 100%. I try to never let a chin die alone.

Keep him warm. If he will let you, maybe hold him right on your chest so he can be warmed by your skin. With pneumonia he needs all the help he can get. A healthy three week old kit needs help of his mama to stay warm much of the time because at that point he'll be putting on fat through the milk.

With your guy, keep him close and try to get him to eat a little. Even if it means that he eats something sweet like a little karo syrup, molasses or even some honey in some water. You need to keep his blood sugar up. I'd probably sweeten up the goats milk a bit just so he will drink a little more.

His immune system is super immature at this point and without the antibodies from mama's milk it's hard to say if he can fight off the infection and anything else. Hopefully the antibiotics will help...I don't know if it will help to get more antibiotics in him right now.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It's always terrible to have to see chins sick, but little tiny ones are even worse. :( Don't let anyone make you feel bad for crying and taking this seriously. Hold him close and don't force the food too much for now...just make sure he gets a little something into him.

I had kits with pneumonia and sadly it was too late for all three even though two of them I tried treating with antibiotics and round the clock care (first one I found dead). My vet prescribed baytril for them, but didn't do the type of treatments you are doing. I hope your situation turns out better than mine :( I held Poe and when I finally knew he was giving up I told him everything was ok and if he was done I was done. He passed about 20 min later. He made 4 days of treatment. Paddington I thought might make it he made 10 days of treatment but he didn't seem to really turn a corner - I made an appt for him, went to dinner and then he was gone when i came back. I know how you feel (hugs) and I hope Boki makes it.

Make sure you are getting food in him if he will take it- my vet gave me nutri-cal (they sell it at superpet here) which has a lot of sugar in it but it will help keep his bloodsugar up. It is also absorbed in the mouth so if you can get a little in it will be effective even if he doesnt swallow. have some critical care on hand to feed him if he will take it.

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words. Bokie has officially started wheezing now and I literally can't even type this without breaking down crying. I tried feeding him and he refused. He just let it sit there on his face. I will try the honey and water right now just to get him interested.. it's breaking my heart. Everytime I hold him he looks right at me... I don't know how I'm going to handle this disaster...

Again, thank you everyone.. Bok and I really feel the love.. <3

:hug2: Oh Hun, I am so very sorry!!! Hugs to you and hopefully he will pull out of it. I'm sorry that you are alone and have no one to help you through this!!

I am so sorry, and I am really wishing all the best to Bokie for a miraculous recovery. I know it is so hard for you, but you being there with him really does make a difference. Keep strong, and please keep us updated.

Attn: Chin Friends...

Bokie died last night at 11:50pm.. he was just short of his 3 week birthday which makes this extra tough..

I'm skipping my college classes today to find a beautiful flower pot in the city to bury him in and plant a beautiful flower on top. I'm a big believer in the circle of life and if his last bit of energy can be used to help "power a flower" then he will live on..

Thank you for all of your continued support. Bokie meant a lot to me but I also learned a lot from him in return. He was my first hand-feeding orphan chinchilla... but I'm sure he won't be my last.

Love,
Rach

The Flower Burial

It's a strawberry geranium that gets fairly bushy. I miss him so much already.

Attachments

• ripbokie.jpg
    ripbokie.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 38
I'm so sorry. You worked so hard for little Bok. The flower pot is a lovely idea.

just know that the three weeks he had were filled with your love. you helped him more than you helped yourself the past couple of days. you feel bad now, but you have gained valuable experience for the future. i love the potted plant idea you had, youll always be able to remember little bok. hugs and hugs.

Sorry for your loss of Bokie, Rach. It's always hard to lose a kit, it almost kills me every time and I've lost many of the years. I think the flower is a wonderful way to remember him, and he'll always be there with you.

I am so sorry about Bokie :( It was very hard to lose my babies to pneumonia too. It happens so quickly that they go downhill that its nearly impossible for them to recover by the time you know they are sick. Don't feel like you could have done anymore than you did. Your flower idea is really lovely.

Back