A1? I'm so confused!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have misunderstood, but you have them all in together, dad, mum, and youngsters? If so, keeping two males, even neutered males, in the same cage together with females is very risky, they will still want to mate with the females when they come into heat and could fight and kill each other. As said, Oscar needs to be separated anyway.

Lucky is a cutie, and it sounds as though the name is very appropriate. I'm amazed at the story.

She said her Male gets separate playtime, so I think she keeps them separate and has started keeping her females all together.

I don't believe so. I'll post pictures when I get home from work tomorrow morning. And yes my boy is totally separate from my girls even at play time. The girls haven't even been together for a week. I spent over a month introducing them and doing neutral playtime before I was ready to put them together.

So can anyone explain what this kit was drinking and eating for a month is spent out of the cage? The "story" does not make sense at all.

Most likely, it was either hiding in the cage, or getting in and out of the cage at will all month long and mom was feeding him. He obviously has been well cared for despite being a mystery.
Glad to hear he is doing so well!

Most likely, it was either hiding in the cage, or getting in and out of the cage at will all month long and mom was feeding him. He obviously has been well cared for despite being a mystery.
Glad to hear he is doing so well!

This is what I suspect happened too, he would nurse from mom and then go and 'explore' the house, and hid/ or was out of the cage when the OP was in playing or feeding or cleaning.

It is hard to believe, but I believe you :)
Too bad you missed the first month of itty bitty-ness. Since you are his momma now you two are really going to bond.

I am so sa I missed the wittleness too, but I'm happy he is here and healthy. He was a wonderful suprise and I'll love him. :)

You definitely will. Maia meets me at the cage every morning and popcorns and wall surfs when I give her scritches. You'll be so close (until the nasty teenage years hit!). :)

I'm with Dawn about having a hard time believing the story... even if he was in a big cage where he could hide, a month is a long time. My first litter was in a large colony cage with tubes and such to hide in, and I saw the baby from day 1. Is it impossible? No, but it is pretty disbelievable.

I'm with Dawn about having a hard time believing the story... even if he was in a big cage where he could hide, a month is a long time. My first litter was in a large colony cage with tubes and such to hide in, and I saw the baby from day 1. Is it impossible? No, but it is pretty disbelievable.

But you were probably expecting a litter, she was most likely not.

Either way, if she says this is what happens then it is, she really has no reason to hide anything, and if she chooses to (which I don't believe she is, it is possible) then that's her deal.

But you were probably expecting a litter, she was most likely not.

Either way, if she says this is what happens then it is, she really has no reason to hide anything, and if she chooses to (which I don't believe she is, it is possible) then that's her deal.

Are you personal friends with the OP? Do you know this person in real life not just internet life? If not, then you do not know what the motivation was for the "story".

I just don't see how for a full month a kit could jump in and out of a cage while nursing and go unnoticed. It seems VERY unlikely to me...but regardless, he is healthy now and that is the most important thing.

I understand the skepticism that some people are showing, but it really doesn't sound all that unbelievable to me. From what I've learned at the "pet store" that is near me, baby chinchillas are actually quite hardy. I've seen babies live when they shouldn't have, and I've seen babies die when they shouldn't have.

Babies (not just chinchillas, but rats, hamsters, bunnies, snakes, anything) can and do escape, and if they don't want to be seen, they won't be seen. The store has had a three foot long monitor escape somehow - they never found out how - and they didn't find him for two weeks.

What I'm saying is, why be so quick to judge? Sometimes crazy things do happen.

I'm not sure why people are disbeliving me, I have no reason to lie. I obviously am just as confused and in shock as the rest of you, and no, I wasn't at all prepared not expecting a baby. I thought down the road (years from now) I'd consider breeding, but right now I'm in pharmacy school and definetly don't have the time for one. I'm a graduate pharmacy student, I wouldn't ever dare lie, especially in a field I have no business being in. I was in shock which is why I posted, I wasn't expecting him, and I feel awful because of all the handling I've done with Pepper. I've read the forums through and through, which is why I think I did ok handling the situation. He's doing great and is 162g as of 6 pm today....
Thats all I have for an update...sory if I offended anyone. I was nothing but honest and truthful and I'm still getting attacked. No wonder why people are afraid to post here

I'm sorry if this came off as defensive, but I feel the need to protect my integrity. I came here concerned, and being in an enviroment with chin breeders and fellow chin caretakers, I was hoping to be reassured that things will be ok. I don't want to here how unrealistic this situation in. I know how crazy it is. This stuff shouldn't happen, but it did. I work in a hospital, I see anomilies every day of my life.

So believe me or don't, but the point of this post was not to be told over and over again about how unbelievable it is. I posted for guidance, and reassurance, which is the point of this kind of forum. If I wanted to be told that he shouldn't of exsisted I'd just talk to my peers.

She said her Male gets separate playtime, so I think she keeps them separate and has started keeping her females all together.

Yes, I saw that MuzzyJ keeps her male totally separate, my query was in response to Runewitch, who I quoted. :))

I've heard enough stories from well respected breeders to know finding mystery kits out of the cage happens. It's not common but it does happen.

The kit obviously has had access to food and water, and if Pepper's nipples are still engorged, milk as well.

Latest posts

Back