A1? I'm so confused!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzyj

ChinParent
So...I had an interesting day can I just say. It started off like any other day, I dropped of the boyfriend at work so I could run errands. I got some new fleece, some cool items for the cage, and some people food. Came home and...I'm look at my living room coffee table and trying to figure out what I'm looking at. There was this fuzzy like thing just sitting there staring at me...I'm like no freaking way. Pick it up, and of course its a minature chinchilla. He's huge...I put him on the scale and he's 150g...how the **** did I miss a 150g chinchilla? He's got to be a couple weeks old. I clean my cages weekly, with a daily touching up. I'm so perplexed. Not to mention I found him DOWNSTAIRS. I have 4 chinchillas, well 5 now. Pepper is my only beige and I got her around 4 months ago...hmmm. Shes gained a lot of weight over the past couple of months, but I thought it was she was just getting healthier....:hair:

Well...All this being said. I now have a baby proof cage, and a baby...I'll post pictures soon. He's name is lucky...He seriously is a miracle baby.

Do you have males/females housed together or next to each other? Sometimes chins have been known to mate through the bars of two different cages when placed in close proximity. Either that, or perhaps she was pregnant when you got her? It is amazing that the baby survived. Hopefully he continues to thrive...I'm glad you found him!

The cages are ~4-5 inch apart. I found this forum before I got coy and snowy thankfully so I knew to keep everyone separate. Pepper was my Petstore girl. I got her sometime in feburary.

Yes he's definetly a miracle. I tried to introduce him to pepper but she doesn't want him. Idk if they fought or what. He's bigger so I'm going to just supplement with goats milk. He's eating the hay in his cage as well which is a good sign. I'm so happy I've read so much on this forum or I'd probebly be panicky right now

I don't understand how you could miss seeing him when you cleaned cages or just spent time with the chins?? He should have been running around the cage at day 1. Maybe your boyfriend bought you a baby? Are you being serious?

No he was wicked mad about it so he couldn't of. And I spend a ton of time in there with them which is why I'm so confused. His existence makes no sense

. I don't understand either. 150 grams must be at least a month old. and babies don't tend to escape in the first 12-14 hours they are pretty much under mom that first day and explore more the 2nd. He would not have survived even a few days without momma and if he was down stair and your chinchillas are upstairs...

I think someone must have got him for you. Perhaps he chewed out of a cardboard box or petstore carrier. Probably your boyfriend put him on the table for you to find. Maybe he won't admit he like chins, some guys think/feel they are kinda girly because they are so soft.

IDK if this will work, Its from my facebook >< I stuck him in the carrier I had till I could get things sorted out.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I agree that it appears he was intended as a gift for you. I do not think your chin gave birth to him...he looks way too healthy to have been living around your apartment. Congrats on the lil guy :)

I'd say that he looks pretty big :p

Check your females for elongated nipples, if it is the case that the baby chin from one of them then that might determine to mama. :p

Congrats! He is cute, even though he gave you quite the scare :)

She only has one female that could have produced a beige...I just don't see how he possibly could have escaped and survived for so many weeks and be completely healthy. Ask your boyfriend if he had a "surprise" for you :p

I was implying that she had gotten an already pregnant female by an unknown father. IF the kit is a month old, the mating would have been in early January/late December. She didn't have any chins back then.

That kit is too small to have been bought from any responsible breeder, I really highly doubt it was a gift. It's more likely it was born there.

Latest posts

Back