1 day old kit whos eyes are still sealed shut..help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the reason pet stores don't tell you things aren't safe for chins is mainly because the pet store employee has no clue about what is safe and what isn't. the other reason is that employees are trained to push sales, regardless of the products' suitability for the species. sad but true, on both reasons.

your cage sounds like it was designed for ferrets, not chins. it's the green and purple plastic and black cage bars setup, right?

chin books are full of outdated and wrong information.

99% of things in stores are dangerous for chins. the best places to get things is from members here. check out the classifieds section. we have members selling everything from feed and dust to hanging toys and hidey houses.

you could still use the plastic igloo during playtime for your male (momma and baby should not be coming out of their cage at all). just keep an eye on your male to ensure he doesn't chew the igloo at all, and just plays in/on it.

Thanks for all the info wow....the pet store I got her from was way off on all this. I read up and have already started fixing the things with whos in which cage and whats left in there now. And why would the pet store talk me into this huge 175 dollar cage with all plastic floors...tubing and all that..the hammock they said was for chinchillas which they chewed everything up in it.
I removed the father soon as I seen the baby yesterday morning. And she had to have him in the wee hrs til about 9 am when i seen him in the cage. ...When I bought Jaz I also bought a book on care for chins and none of this was mentioned in that book of course. Just pretty much that they are nocturnal and the general care for them...not so in dept like this site goes.
I did call the pet shop after buying this huge cage from them 3 weeks after buying it and of course the guy told me then they will chew the plastic and I was like ok....why wasnt i told this when i bought it lol...You know the cage with floors n tunners leading up to the other floors and slides with chin hammock at top and wheel and plastic water bottle. I went 2 mths ago and got a glass water bottle cause they had already chewed up 3.
Only question I have now i do I throw away the plastic igloo completely and where can ya go to get them a new house to sleep in? And where to go to get metal floors for this huge cage I have now?

Keep reading & researching! What matters is you wanting to change for the benefit of the chins!

Another question i put my chins in a plastis big ball to exercise.... i use to let them in one room but they found a way to squeeze thru it all and found trouble so now i put them in a big ball...the male can go in this room hes good but when i let jazz in there she showed him ways to get out...chew stuffs n more...so i let their out time in this big plastic ball they roll away in house...having fun feeling somewhat freedoms i love my chins but much i need to understands i guess still yets on them... i spend time with mom and dad daily....i have picked up the kit this time afraid she would eat him she only had one this time hes healthy.. his eyes are starting to open a just a tad bit...so im guessing he needs times on it...

if you are talking about the big plastic ball that is used for rodents, that is what this forum calls the death ball. Chins can not, do not belong in one of these balls. They can overheat very easily, they hop and can't navigate a ball well, and they tend to urinate and defecate in these balls. If you are using this, it needs to be thrown away now. You can get a covered playpen to safely house your chins for play time. But remember, the male can never be with the female, ever. Not even if you're watching them during playtime.

You need to gently pry the eyes open tomorrow if they are not already open - the longer they stay shut the greater your chance for an infection developing. Use a warm qtip to moisten the eye and gently pull open.

Throw the plastic ball away. If you are going to give playtime you need to 1) invest in a playpen they cannot climb out of or 2) chin proof a room. All chins need supervised playtime no matter what kind of playtime you give.

You will need a completely metal cage since they are chewing out of the bottom. Try Quality Cage, Martin's Cages, Critter Nation or Ferret nation for a new cage. Sometimes you can find cages on craigslist. You will need to modify and put wooden shelves in for them to chew/leap/sleep on. If I were you i would try to make the petstore give me my money back but probably unlikely they would actually do it. Unless it was Petsmart...Seems like they take anything back.

Please keep your chins seperated at all times. Mating happens very quickly even if you think you are watching them all the time. Chins can be completely happy living alone or in same sex pairs.

Have you sexed the kit? There are pictures posted at the top of this section to help you...and are she and the kit in a one level baby safe cage?

Last edited:
the most dangerous aspect of the death balls is that there is very poor air circulation in them and chins overheat much too quickly, leading to heat stroke and death.

yes the big plastic ball i payed like 25.99 plus tax for which was recommended haha again..the baby is a boy i know boys from girls from when i looked for Taz a female mate at time...and pet store tried 3 times to give me a male me as a female ..cause the previous owners of taz told me he killed all his brother siblings. So I need to toss this ball away? Taz does well in it jaz don't so i quit putting her in it cause she would just sit n pee n poops and was nervous.

smash that ball with a hammer and celebrate the fact that three more chins will never again see the inside of this sort of death trap.

Can someone show me a great play pen to put them in for playtime...they love to run n play especially Taz. The ball is gone now and thanks for the help =)

yes the big plastic ball i payed like 25.99 plus tax for which was recommended haha again..the baby is a boy i know boys from girls from when i looked for Taz a female mate at time...and pet store tried 3 times to give me a male me as a female ..cause the previous owners of taz told me he killed all his brother siblings. So I need to toss this ball away? Taz does well in it jaz don't so i quit putting her in it cause she would just sit n pee n poops and was nervous.

Didn't you consider that putting a male and female together would result in kits? Please don't think I'm trying to be rude at all! I'm just wondering. Also, if they chew through everything plastic you buy for them, including 3 water bottles, wouldn't you buy glass bottles after that and get rid of the rest of the plastic stuff? It just seems like you realized there was problems but kept doing and buying the same things.

I'm very proud of you for wanting to change the situation now though. I truly hope you are on the right path and will get your chins the safe things they need and keep them separated. I hope you were able to open the kit's eyes!

They arent even trying to open. Im waiting to 7 to take him to vet...they say they vet can look at him....I hope so but they have the weirdest hrs to see the vet even tho the office is open 9 am to 9pm but the vet is only there like 1pm to 3 pm and 7pm to 830 pm makes no sense....keep fingers crossed he does have eyes. Im afraid to try to open them cause I am wondering if he dont have eyes. He is eating alot and gaining weight and the mom is keeping him warm and fed.

Didn't you consider that putting a male and female together would result in kits? Please don't think I'm trying to be rude at all! I'm just wondering.

I think the logic was that since he killed the male siblings (according to the previous owner) that he would have better companionship with a female. However, clearly male + female = kits, therefore it would probably be best to keep the male alone, unless he gets along with the baby here. I wouldn't chance it if the previous owners are to be belived, so I think housing him alone would be the best option.

Sometimes the eyelids are just stuck shut from fluid in the womb - I wouldn't worry that he doesnt have eyes just yet. Most likely you aren't using enough pressure to pull them open in fear of hurting him.

Last edited:
Good News! While waiting to take him to vet his eyes open about 30 min ago...one isnt completely opened yet but looks well on the way to opening like the other one. I will Wipe the one eye that isn't opened yet and hopefully it will fully open =)

Great!!
Keep a close eye on him and be sure he and mom are in a baby-safe cage. Do lots of reading around here and ask ANY questions.
Updates are always appreciated.

That's great news that the eyes are starting to open. I just wanted to say that even if he turns out to be partialy or totally blind he will be fine, there are a few happy healthy blind chin owners on here and can help you. Welcome to CnH

Thanks all for the help heres a few pics of him today with both eyes wide open. Hes a little nibbler well the last time i went to wipe the one partially closed eye he nibbled me a few times. Not sure if thats a good sign or not

Attachments

• 101811_2027[00].jpg
    101811_2027[00].jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 101811_2025[00].jpg
    101811_2025[00].jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 101811_2024[00].jpg
    101811_2024[00].jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 74
Back