1 day old kit whos eyes are still sealed shut..help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrisqueKat

Not sure if my question posted or not. Jazzy had her baby boy yesterday morning. His eyes are still sealed shut. Help. I am excited cause her 1st litter she had 2 kits and ate them both but this one is healthy and all..all but his eyes are still closed.

Take a warm wet wash cloth and gently clean the eyes, don't force them open, but usually the warm wash cloth will work.

I dont see any mucous or anything i dont even think he has eyes not even a hint of an eye =( I been wiping all day and still nothing yet wonder how long this will take? I called pet store they said something is wrong take him to vet

I'm really not sure what the pet store would have to do with this...

There should be an eye slit, if not then he may have a birth defect. Can you get a clear pic?

Wipe front to back, from the nose toward the ear.

Use the post reply button, not the quick reply box. There's a clip icon that let's you browse your computer for a photo and attach it. Just have it saved to the computer you're on.

Are you able to open the eyelid at all? If so, can you see an eye in there? I have been hearing of and seeing cases of micropthalmia (abnormally small eyes) or anopthalmia (no eyes) pretty often lately for some reason in other people's herds. It was an issue that was common amongst the "Stone White" mutation as well and that's why they are no longer bred...

Heres a few pictures of him..He was born yesterday. His mom is white..Ill have to post pics of the parents...His mom's name is Jaz. Taz is dad and we named him Raz
Im afriad to try to force open the eyes I dont wanna tear his eyelid or something worst lol

Attachments

• 101711_1554[00].jpg
    101711_1554[00].jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 101711_1555[00].jpg
    101711_1555[00].jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 101711_1556[00].jpg
    101711_1556[00].jpg
    11 KB · Views: 160
Heres the parents
White one is Jaz(mom) The grey one is Taz(dad).

Attachments

• 189263_10150136155989729_735189728_6308776_5484695_n.jpg
    189263_10150136155989729_735189728_6308776_5484695_n.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 111
  • 200120_10150136156264729_735189728_6308779_8263992_n.jpg
    200120_10150136156264729_735189728_6308779_8263992_n.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 110
There are so many things wrong with your pics... that wheel is a death trap, that cage is not baby safe, parents should be separated, and they need baths. I'm going to assume they came from a pet store? The female looks small...

Regarding the baby, you may need to gently separate the eye lid, just be gentle and you'll see the corner pop open, then use the wash cloth to open it further.

I agree. The wheel should be removed along with the plastic igloo. The cage is small with a plastic bottom and not safe for kits.

Also, if she ate the first litter, why did you breed her again? Are you intentionally breeding or was it an accident? Because if you're going to breed, you should be informed enough to know not to call the pet store with problems with your kits. Call someone who breeds chinchillas or call your local exotic vet.

These are common sense things that should be done, especially if you are breeding on purpose. I could understand being clueless with an accident, but this seems intentional.

The mom and dad are seperated. I have the mom in the huge cage with the baby but i am thinking of putting them in the little cage. Cause she keeps going up on the other floors of the cage and the wheel in this cage is way at top. Should i take the wheel out completely and I wasn't sure when to put in thier bath with his eyes not opening yet...didnt know if I should wait or go ahead. I give them thier bath things 2x a week. Also the 2 adults chewed the plastic floors out of the big cage i just bought 3 mths ago from pet store lol
Will the little one do that to? I been putting in timothy hay...treats n thier food and salt blocks plus branches in for them but not sure how or what to do with the baby n mom.
The last time she had 2 kits and well she ate them I never knew she was pregnant cause she was so tiny. That was at Christmas time last yr. This time i knew she was pregnant but wasn't sure when she was due. She came from pet store...I got him out of ad bulletien.
They chew on the water bottles...the floors of the 175 dollar cage i got them...the tubing..the hammocks everything that is not metal or glass they chew up. I am not sure how to handle this and I would have thought the pet store wouldn't have sold me a cage that they would chew everything out of it lol. Makes no sense. I have had Taz over 2 yrs got Jaz last sumer so her over a yr.

No Not intentally. I have 3 cages. I let them get together in the big cage and I had no clue she got pregnant this last time I just told hubby a mth ago shes pregnant cause she was getting huge and eating alot more but wasnt sure when she was due. Cause I seperate the 2 of them...cause well hes pretty rough with her and he doesn't like to share his food..the food the bath or anything. But they do like to snuggle and sleep together.

Right now - mom and kit need to be in a baby proof cage. Wire spacing no larger than 1"x1/2". Little cage is better. Mom needs to be feeding and keeping kit warm.

Do NOT put mom and dad back together. You don't know the history on these animals and they should never have been bred.

View this link to sex the kit http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16956

If it's a male it can be caged w/ dad after weaning. If it's a female it can stay with mom.

Here's a thread on caring for kits http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

Now, because many of the things you're doing are not correct, I'd suggest starting here as well: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857

You should've separated them after the first "accident" when she got pregnant. Putting males and females together will result in pregnancy. These things are basic common sense. So if you had no intention of breeding, I'm not understanding why you would buy a female companion for your male chinchilla.

You'll definitely need a new cage and to remove all of the unsafe objects from the cage. The plastic stuff needs to go. Also, if the hammock you have isn't fleece, replace it with a fleece one.

You'll need not only one new cage, but two since you should separate the male from the female to prevent any further breeding. If they're still in the same cage, she could already be pregnant again. Count 111 days from now and you may have more kits.

You've had your male chinchilla for 2 years, and in that time they've had almost all plastic or unsafe objects in their cage. You've had quite a long time to research what's safe for them and what's not. If you know they're eating the plastic it really needs to be removed asap for the safety of your chinchillas.

Thanks for all the info wow....the pet store I got her from was way off on all this. I read up and have already started fixing the things with whos in which cage and whats left in there now. And why would the pet store talk me into this huge 175 dollar cage with all plastic floors...tubing and all that..the hammock they said was for chinchillas which they chewed everything up in it.
I removed the father soon as I seen the baby yesterday morning. And she had to have him in the wee hrs til about 9 am when i seen him in the cage. ...When I bought Jaz I also bought a book on care for chins and none of this was mentioned in that book of course. Just pretty much that they are nocturnal and the general care for them...not so in dept like this site goes.
I did call the pet shop after buying this huge cage from them 3 weeks after buying it and of course the guy told me then they will chew the plastic and I was like ok....why wasnt i told this when i bought it lol...You know the cage with floors n tunners leading up to the other floors and slides with chin hammock at top and wheel and plastic water bottle. I went 2 mths ago and got a glass water bottle cause they had already chewed up 3.
Only question I have now i do I throw away the plastic igloo completely and where can ya go to get them a new house to sleep in? And where to go to get metal floors for this huge cage I have now?

There are ppl who sell supplies you need in the for sale section. You can get wood shelving and wood houses. There are also lots of photos of cages members have set up and what they've done.

Back