Fritz question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even with him eating about 70ml of CC yesterday he ate about half of his pellets last night! I also gave him a bit of Tabitha's supplement and he ate all the Equine Senior out of it (left all the oats). Good boy!

Yeah! Fritzy. So glad he is eating on his own a little. That can sometimes be difficult to get them to do after getting their teeth worked on. :bliss:

He's spunky today which is awesome. Yesterday and the day before he just hid in his house all day and all night. When I got up this morning though his igloo was turned over, the fleece pulled up from half the cage, pellets scattered, so apparently he had some fun last night. :)

Considering everything this little guy has gone through, he seems to have more spunk and spirit than he should have. He is a real fighter. I hope he heals up quick so he can get some long playtimes outside the cage. Go Fritzy! Hurry up and get fat and frisky!:parrot4:

Great news on his eating. I have some great chin supplement I'll also send in your package.

The hospital cleaner might be overkill. You don't want to keep him from all bacteria as that can also lead to problems. His back is unlikely to come in contact with the bottom of the cage. I would continue changing his fleece once or twice a day and just wipe the bottom out with hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar or just white vinegar.

Last edited:
I was really surprised to see that he was eating some. Granted there weren't many pellets in the bowl, but just to see him eat anything was awesome.

Ok. I'll stop cleaning the pan with it. Should I continue to clean the igloo with it since that does touch his side where the wound is?

Ok. I'll stop cleaning the pan with it. Should I continue to clean the igloo with it since that does touch his side where the wound is?
You'll be fine just using the hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar or just vinegar.

I agree, no sense in using industrial strength disinfectants.

Seconded. Industrial strength disinfectants just lead to industrial strength bacteria. Bacteria evolve so quickly, they're just ridiculous. I had a friend whose father passed away because he caught a so-called 'super bug' from the hospital he was in (he was being treated for pancreatic cancer, which had gone into remission). In general I stick with vinegar as my cleaning solution.

Fritz's wound has had its good and bad days. It was almost healed and somehow he dislodged the scab. Not sure if he chewed it or what. After that though it just wasn't healing well. It had scabbed over again, but was still draining a clearish yellow fluid. After talking with Claire he is now on a Manuka Honey treatment. Unfortunately since the wound is on his hip this is really hard to do. I have been wrapping the area in vet wrap, but it basically goes around his hip which really hinders his movement. I can't figure out any other way to keep the honey where it needs to be though without it. Any other ideas?

Poor little dude.

Did the 2 stitches get removed? Can you snap a picture of the wound? I am trying to imagine where it is exactly.

:hmm:I'm trying to remember where his booboo is at too. How about something made from fleece that you could put on him?Something kind of like pj bottoms but without the crotch?Maybe just take a rectangular piece of fleece,trim the middle out so that it looks like a great big capital I and then fold the top of the eye and sew it into like a little sleeve,repeat on the bottom part of the I . Here comes the fun part! Slip one sleeve over the wounded leg/hip then lay the middle part of the I across his back and slip his good leg into the other sleeve.VOILA chinnie pjs!!You might could even get away with sniping the long part of the I which would give you two separate sleeves then you could loosely tie them back together once you have the sleeves on his legs. If it works, I demand pics of Fritzie in his pjs!

Poor little dude.

Did the 2 stitches get removed? Can you snap a picture of the wound? I am trying to imagine where it is exactly.

I will do it tomorrow morning when I do his dressing change. I just wrapped him so I don't want to unwrap him.

Ok lady you are going to have to explain this better or draw up a pattern or something. :p I'm so confused!

Like a diaper, but upside down, I think. The bottom of the diaper will go across his back/hip area but leaving his tail free, and the leg holes will wrap around leaving a place for honey, but there will be a biiig empty space for his crotchal parts. From the bottom of his tail (underside) to his stomach should be cloth free.

Essentia,

You are an angel. Stories like these make me cry... and I fail to understand how animals (even kept by the most ignorant people) can get to such a poor state of health. How could you watch an animal deteriorate so much and do nothing about it?

Thank god he found someone who is willing to do and spend what ever it takes to make him a happy, healthy chin again. I'm sure he loves you already!!

Back