watery eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessonehundred

i noticed a few weeks ago that the fur under my younger chins eye was wet looking. her eye never had any symptoms besides the fur being wet for a few days. It went away and then yesterday I noticed her eye was squinty looking and wet. I thought i saw some white residue in the corner. This makes me think infection.
anyone have any experience with this?
I am going to make a vet appointment tomorrow, but I am still curious about other experiences.

They can get infections-the vet needs to look at the eye to determine if its from a injury or just a infection. Most of the time drops or gel will be RXed, occasionally a oral antibiotic will also be used. It can be one symptom of malocclusion, but without other symptoms and weight loss is more than likely just a infection.

I dealt with an eye infection in a chin for a couple months..it was a pain to get rid of and we had to try 3 different medications until we finally get rid of it. Terramycin gel is what finally worked. Like Dawn said you will want the vet to determine first if it is an eye infection or a scratch on the cornea. Usually if it is an infection, it is itchy, so the chin can accidentally scratch the eye while itching as well.

You have to be vigilant in administering the drops/gel as prescribed.

I use Terramycin, it's available at most feed stores.

A scratch will water for a few days, pinkeye pretty rapidly deteriorates and the eye will get a glaze over it and start producing a lot of white goo.

I'm having problems with my chin's eye as well- should I buy the Terramycin Powder or is there a gel or something? Also if there is anything else I should do/know about when using this please let me know. We've already gone through two different medications at the vet and nothing is working.

Have you used a oral antibiotic? I just went through a month of trying to get rid of one in Guido and finally 14 days on TMS and Neo-poly-dex drops got rid of it. I was worried enough to have him x-rayed to make sure the incisors were not blocking the tear duct drains. I have used terramycin gel, it has worked in the past.

No I haven't tried an oral antibiotic yet- should I do that first? The gel (Vetrachloracin) seems to stop it but as soon as I stop the gel it comes back.

Hmm okay. Any ideas what it could be? She seems to eat fine- she's lost a little weight but nothing drastic and I just moved her back into her regular cage with her baby so she has a more room to run and jump. She drinks often and her poops are normal. It's not a watery eye it's just white goo. She doesn't hold the eye shut she just blinks that one a little more often than the other eye.

Ugh I'm sorry for the absolute terrible pictures. My hubby won't be home until later so I atempted to do it myself. Either way I think my camera doesn't do well with close up pictures even though I used the Macro setting. Either way the goo is in the corner/bottom of the eye.

Attachments

• Eye.jpg
    Eye.jpg
    86.9 KB
  • eye2.jpg
    eye2.jpg
    90.6 KB
Can't really see anything from those. Try holding the camera further away. Some Macro modes need to be 14" or more away from the subject. =)

Back