Vent: Did someone say SNOW??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:laughitup: Apparently they ARE making french toast, cuz it just so happens that I ran out of milk AND bread the day before the 5-6" of snow we got on Friday... Well...of course, having a kiddo who just LOVES to have milk for me to make his hot cocoa and for his cereal, I figured I'd be the devil if I didn't have it. Oh boy was that ever a mistake - going to the grocery and expecting not to have to claw my way to the fridges to get to the milk?! I mean lord have mercy, think just buying a dairy cow and putting it in the back yard would have been easier. Sheesh...

We're not supposed to get anything but rain out of THIS system, but the one that's supposed to be coming on Tuesday-ish is supposed to be like the system on Friday (LOTS of snow). The 5-6" that we got on Friday, was more snow than my son's EVER seen at once...and he'll be 10 in March. So yeah, we don't get that kind of snow down here that much...so when we do, people go freakin' nuts!

We got 8 inches here. :( and its not all gone yet.
It the same way here. Snow gets mentioned once and the stores are out of eggs, milk and bread.
We usually dont get much snow, but this winter we can't get away from it. The last snow storm we got hit with was in 1998 and now this winter were being dumped on. This is the most snow we've had since 98.
We are suppose to get more snow Saturday and its been raining all day so people are afraid the roads will freeze and everything so the stores are yet again nearly out of milk, eggs, and bread.

Places that are used to getting snow (or much snow) easily panic when a few inches get dumped on them.

I got a call from my parents tonight. "You're going to get BURIED because they're calling for a foot here and you're up by Buffalo" blah blah blah. So, I finally checked the weather channel. The winter storm warning for their part of Ohio calls for about 1 foot of snow overnight. The forecast for this part of NY state calls for 1 inch overnight. Hope my mother remembered to get the shovel out of the garage before she locked up for the night...

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere today. Tried getting to work, not gonna happen. They're plowing the cars that are parked on my street (it's a snow emergency route, all cars were to be off it by 8AM) so can't drive, and the only "safe" place to walk is in the street because nobody has shoveled their sidewalks, and even if they DID, it's already covered again.

sure we could use more snow..marshall wants to go skiing. I grew up in buffalo NY are snow doesn't phase me LOL

I did not like opening my door to 6 inches of snow ready to fall inside. I felt like a cartoon this morning. The snow drifts are crazy. Around one part of my building i can semi see the grass but in order to be able to walk the dog down the road i had to go through snow almost up to my waist.

we were estimated to get 6 to 14 inches, we got MAYBE a centimeter! i was expected to wake up to piles of snow this morning and theres barely a little white blanket :hammer:

it is snowing pretty good here. they salted the roads thursday night. and are plowing continuously. my fiance' has been plowing since 4am. hopefully i will see him sometime this weekend. until then, i plan to make a small path for my dog as even at 10 1/2 she just love hopping in the snow! and i plan on staying in all day, trying to feel better, cleaning, cooking, scrapping and fixing my new guys cage up!

I do feel bad 'cause you've no equiptment to fight it, but I remember times up here, where they had to dump it in the lake, as there was no place to put it!
At least you won't get the -30 wind chills that come with big snows up here!
1967 - 36 in. in 24 hrs. Over 1000 cars abandoned on the expressways - people found frozen in their cars! O'hare closed for over a week!
1979 -42+ in. in 36 hrs. followed by 20 below, without wind, for over a week! Again closed O'hare for 4 days!
Heavy, wet snow is worse, just take it easy in both shoveling and driving - good luck!!!!

Being that I live in an area where what you have coming happens here on a normal basis I just do not understand the panic. When we get a storm like that most times nothing closes and people go on with there lives just knowing you will not get to where you want to go as fast but you will get there. By the way thanks for keeping these storms down south as we hardly have any snow so far this year.

The panic for DC and the burbs is the lack of snow removal. And the population is so darned dense. I'm not kidding you about snow removal here. I grew up in Iowa and 8 inches is just another day. Eight inches here in Richmond could take 3 days for a snow plow to make it to our house. I've seen everything from a little Bob Cat's to private vehicles hired out by the city. Randy I think there are 14 plows for Virginia as it is. :hilarious: I think all 14 are in northern Virginia near DC today.
I wonder if the HOV lanes will have snowmen as the extra riders. :rofl:

It's horrible down here. We shovel the sidewalks, only to have the plows come back through and plow the snow up onto the sidewalks from the street. It's horrible.

It's horrible down here. We shovel the sidewalks, only to have the plows come back through and plow the snow up onto the sidewalks from the street. It's horrible.

It's the same through here. I think we got like 30" of snow. I spent 2 hours alone digging my car out and then the plows would come by and partly bury it again (I have it parked on the street.)

We could use some snow, it's pretty ugly up here right now! I'm used to a white winter, and it's more of a dull brown/gray color going on right now. We also have the equipment to deal with it. I haven't used my snowshoes once this winter :-(

Back