True Silver?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I was wondering how many have had born, or seen a true silver?

I had a little born to a standard out of a white two standard females. I was very excited about this as I purposely bred those two because their last standard female was awesome, so I was thrilled when two were born. The one started looking... odd. And how she is completely silver. I know about white kits... but she didn't have a white tip... she is a true silver. Of course my camera battery is dead, but I'll get pics. :D

Anyone else have a silver? Chances of reproducing one with one?

My Tibbit (rip) was a true silver, that's what the judges at the MCBA Fall Field day said. And they said he had amazing clairity. He was just 6 months old but a little too small plus I over groomed him so he didn't place high. If/when I start breeding I want to focus on Silvers.

Tibbet was out of my retired TOV White ebony Persephone. I think his Dad was Alfie my ebony, but that was a few years ago. Here is a picture of him though. I didn't realize he was considered a true silver by the judge. I just called him a white eb, but he was a fun one to watch change!

Attachments

• Tibbet.jpg
    Tibbet.jpg
    27.8 KB
I was told that a true silver is born completely standard and changes. I've heard of a couple being born, but not a lot.

He's a cutie!

I don't no If mine was a true silver but he looked like a standard to me when born. Mom ate the tip off his tail so I'll never know lol .

Thanks for that picture Christene. I am crying..I miss him so much. I didn't realize it until it was to late, but yes, chins can die of a broken heart.

I had one that I marked her as a standard, she did not have a white tip to the tail but at 4 weeks I notice she was way to light to be a standard. I just put her down as a mosaic not sure if she is considered a true silver. First picture is her at 6 days old, second picture is her at 4 weeks.

071.jpg
044-2.jpg

Last edited:
That's exactly what happened with my girl, I was excited to have two standard females out of that pair, at about 4 weeks my girl looked a bit darker than yours, and I was like weird...maybe she's just lightening up because she's getting that fuller coat in... but by 6 weeks you could tell it wasn't normal lightening...

Adelais was born appearing to be a standard until I noticed the white tail tip. She was classified as a silver at a show. Included is a photo of her mother with a foster standard female - I could only tell the two apart by the white tip of the tail in the beginning. Her mother is a TOV white, no eb in the lines.

DSC_0017-6.jpg

DSC_00212.jpg

DSC_0793-1.jpg

What I heard is a true silver will not have a white tip to the tail not sure if it's true or not. I've only had 1 born that looks like a standard for a couple weeks and turns lighter with age but I've had lots born with white tips to the tail telling they will be a mosaic/white. So how would a true silver be defined.

Cat, I too was told by old timers that a true silver does not have a white tipped tail. I have those born fairly often, but not totally standard looking. I'll find the charger for my camera and get some pics of the girls. :D

I'm really curious to know if it's genetic. Like will a true silver produce a true silver? Or is it a fluke deal...

I think that last pic of Tiffany's pretty close. Any darker and they get thrown into the standard class, lighter and they go white. Courtney, yours is a regular mosaic - too white and guard hairs are too distinct.

Ronda has a line that consistently throws them along with regular mosaics, they're born silver or standard and by weaning are obviously not standards. By adulthood they're a solid silver color and have shown as silvers. Some have white legs or tail tips, some don't.

Classification really depends on the judge, a couple have been thrown into the standard class even though they had a white tail tip and/or white legs.

I've found a few very old pics below that show different whites. The brother to the male at the bottom was shown as a standard, he had the same high white leg markings and was identical in color but no white body markings. He didn't do very well and I can't find his pics. I know I've posted them here before too... I think under something about a chin with white pants. Ah well.

Edited to say it is very common for whites to be born dark and lighten with age as they get their adult fur in.

Attachments

• Mosaics.jpg
    Mosaics.jpg
    68.9 KB
Yea i didnt know if he was tov or not. I dont Intend on breeding him so i won't ever really know lol. I just fell in love with him as a kit.. all I know Is his sire Is tov because I owned him and got bv out of him but he is identical to his father. Wish I still had a pic of him somewhere !!! I'm going search lol

This is the sire. When i got him he was a complete dark smoke color. He lightened up to almost solid white but with paw stripes. So far the kit I posted has turned identical to how the sire did. It's hard to see in the photo of the kit in the above post but his head is still slightly darker than his body is. I'd need to get a better photo.

deuce.jpg

lCAVZTUB4.jpg

deuce.jpg

According to the MCBA show manual, it does not matter if there is a white tipped tail or not, the lack of white markings on the body and a visible bar throughout the coat is what determines a silver. I have heard others say that a true silver has no white on the tail, but I have not seen that in official writing anywhere. However, I concede that there is a lot of interpretation when it comes to classifying whites, and depends on the opinion of the classifyer.

I had one white with no white on the tail, but she was classed as white with dark guard hair - she did not have a visible bar. I have had two silvers born that did have white tipped tails.

I had a pink white male that had an all-beige tail, no white on it. I've seen a few whites without white on their tail, but he was the only hybrid I've seen like that.

I have a kit now that I am pretty sure is a white, but she has no white on her tail. She's only 3 weeks old right now. Her mother is one of the two silvers I had born, so it'll be interesting to see how much she lightens up. All the other whites this mom has had have been mosaic.

Photo 1: White with Dark Guard Hair
Photo 2: Pink White
Photo 3: Silver (sapphire carrier) with a white-tipped tail
Photo 4: Current possible white kit

Attachments

• mira4.jpg
    mira4.jpg
    49.4 KB
  • bollo7.jpg
    bollo7.jpg
    43.9 KB
  • cameron18.jpg
    cameron18.jpg
    82 KB
  • susie3.jpg
    susie3.jpg
    59.5 KB
Last edited:
Nice baby! I agree with thinking you've got the white gene running around there.

Just for kicks - I had a Tov Pinkwhite with a white tail. No way they'd let her into the white class though.

For those who don't see a lot of chins, the general rule of mosaics is that they lighten with age. This is the case for 85% of them. Any coloration change is due to the veiling coming in and them losing their baby fur over several primes. When you introduce Tov it can darken them as it comes in over their lifetime, then fade again if you have that regular white gene.

There is another line of white that always darkens with age and allows the base color to show through, this is the line I work with. You'll know if you've got one, they're usually very strikingly marked and the babies darken or retain dark markings with age.

Does anyone else work with a darkening line?

Attachments

• Pushy.jpg
    Pushy.jpg
    20.5 KB
That's a nice girl there Spoof, I like her.

I have a PW line that darkens, I have a heavily marked male out of that line for sale, who darkened, upon birth he was not that dark. I no longer have the orginal male, but when I got him he was just a pink white, and by the age of three he "grew" a dark spot around his ear. The kits out of his lines tend to do it as well.

Back