Need applewood- credit card

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessonehundred

I really need to get my hands on some applewood, but I do not have a paypal account and would prefer not to get one. I would like to buy applewood easily with a credit card. I was just wondering if anyone has come across this option anywhere..

Hmmm... not sure. I've never heard of anyone having PayPal issues before? My PayPal is linked to my debit/credit card, its just processed through PayPal so you don't have to give everyone your card number. Feels much safer and easier to me!

I really need to get my hands on some applewood, but I do not have a paypal account and would prefer not to get one. I would like to buy applewood easily with a credit card. I was just wondering if anyone has come across this option anywhere..

I understand ya on that. I didn't feel comfortable with PayPal with quite a while. And even now there's finicky things about it that bug me (for example, recently I purchased stuff from a lady on this forum, and PayPal informed me during the transaction that from now on either the seller or myself has to pay a 3-5% on all merchandise sold/exchanged.....yet when I bought something else from a lady on another site, through PayPal, no fee was mentioned...?--perhaps someone here can explain/clear that up)

However, most of the sellers on here use PayPal, and I imagine they would tell their customers if it wasn't safe. :thumbsup:

Lol at the title "I need a applewood credit card" haha
I remember when we got married we got a JC Penny credit card to buy the rings, but the funny thing is that was only 20 years ago and from what I could see people didn't use credit very much then, just occasional big purchases. Things sure changed a lot. :)

I don't believe you need to sign up for a paypal account to pay a vendor that only accepts paypal. You pay with a credit card through paypal as a guest. You can also ask the vendor to invoice you through paypal and then pay with your credit card (still through paypal as a guest).

I understand ya on that. I didn't feel comfortable with PayPal with quite a while. And even now there's finicky things about it that bug me (for example, recently I purchased stuff from a lady on this forum, and PayPal informed me during the transaction that from now on either the seller or myself has to pay a 3-5% on all merchandise sold/exchanged.....yet when I bought something else from a lady on another site, through PayPal, no fee was mentioned...?--perhaps someone here can explain/clear that up)

I thought the seller was always the one who had to pay the fees? Some charge for the extra fee, while others like myself don't since we are paying for their service.

I think Ronda might be able to take CC payments for wood, since they also run a business, but you'd have to check with her first.

Thank you for the responses! I will have to check into the guest paypal account that someone suggested, I tried different things on paypal trying to get it setup, but they take days to verify your account (which i dont disagree with, the safer the better). i just needed a quick option and safety wasnt my main concern as silly as that may seem!

also, I have ordered from Ronda a few times, my chins absolutely loved her applewood and she is always so nice, but I made the mistake of placing orders and then never sending out the money, twice, and she was understanding both times. I am Just felt way too ashamed to ask again after that!.. After all of this thinking though I really would like to go through her.

Yep, you can pay with a credit card using paypal without an account. Although I think perhaps those with personal accounts can only take a certain number of credit card payments a month or something. And the buyer should never have to pay a fee to send money, it's the seller that is charged a fee.

And as an fyi for the future, if as a buyer you are asked by the seller to specifically pay a certain amount over the fee for the item to cover the paypal fees, that is against paypal's terms of use, so it is something the seller should not be doing, and you have a right to refuse that.

Yep, you can pay with a credit card using paypal without an account. Although I think perhaps those with personal accounts can only take a certain number of credit card payments a month or something. And the buyer should never have to pay a fee to send money, it's the seller that is charged a fee.

And as an fyi for the future, if as a buyer you are asked by the seller to specifically pay a certain amount over the fee for the item to cover the paypal fees, that is against paypal's terms of use, so it is something the seller should not be doing, and you have a right to refuse that.

I thought that was against the rules. I believe I've seen someone doing that. Gonna have to watch people really close with that. haha :) Thanks for letting us all know that it was for sure against the rules

Go ahead and get a order from Ronda, I'm sure she could use the money. If she doesn't want to deal with you, wait for her to say so. I doubt she will. She just got a job though so IDK how busy she is.

I thought the seller was always the one who had to pay the fees? Some charge for the extra fee, while others like myself don't since we are paying for their service.

I think Ronda might be able to take CC payments for wood, since they also run a business, but you'd have to check with her first.

I'm going to try to explain this the way it was explained to me, so bear with me.

The seller requested that when I paid via PayPal to choose the "Personal--Case Advance" option rather than the "Purchase", because by doing that they wouldn't charge her a fee--which she said was usually 3-5%. But when I did that, the next window basically said if I chose to pay the $1.75 fee (for a $50.00 order), then she wouldn't have to pay; if I declined to pay the fee, then she would have to pay it. You see, on my previous order of her's, I'd forgotten to choose the personal option, so I told the seller that on my next purchase I'd just add that (fee it charged her as a result) amount to my total. So when I saw the $1.75, I assumed it was what she had tacked on at my request, and I paid it. (By the way when I inquired on PayPal about the "optional" fee, it gave an explanation about how now that's the standard procedure for any exchange of goods.... but now I can't find that window?).

After I asked the seller about it, she said she had no clue they even made that an option for the buyer, and that from now on she would incur the fees. I didn't mind paying that fee that time because I'd originally offered to pay her the dollar-and-some-change amt for not clicking "Personal--Cash Advance" originally.

I don't know if that makes ANY sense, but I've talked to other sellers here who say this lady is highly ethical/honest/recommended.

:confused: :thinking2:

Also another fyi, (just trying to protect everyone so they don't get screwed!) you put yourself at a lot of risk by sending money to a seller under the "personal" feature of paypal. Some sellers try to use that option to get away with not paying the paypal fees. But what it really does is put the buyer at risk. If the seller never ships your item, or there is something really wrong with your order, you are not protected by paypal, because under paypal's terms, personal payments are not for the transaction of goods. So to them, no goods should have passed hands or there should not have been a transaction. Personal payments would be if you needed to send a friend some money (not for goods) or owed your family some money, for example. So if you don't get your items, you're out your money.

Sellers should just be figuring the cost of paypal's fees into the price for their items, not trying to work around the fees or making their buyers pay the fees. There's costs with doing business ethically, and this is just one of them.

We all screw up, she's one of the most forgiving people I know. (Obviously, she puts up with me from year to year!)

There are other ways to pay, there is someone else that didn't want to do paypal so she signed up for another service for them. I don't know what it is - you'll have to email her.

Paypal is the most secure for dealing with sellers because there is insurance on both ends. You don't have to sign up for an account to pay, there is an option to put in your credit card number if you don't have an account.

In Ronda's case she has a "brick and mortar" business - a physical storefront, address & phone number - this type of business is much easier to verify and file complaints against because she has to register with the county and has a business license. That said, her credit card machine in the store is funky. It's one of those that makes you do an imprint of the card if she has to type it in.

Also another fyi, (just trying to protect everyone so they don't get screwed!) you put yourself at a lot of risk by sending money to a seller under the "personal" feature of paypal. Some sellers try to use that option to get away with not paying the paypal fees. But what it really does is put the buyer at risk. If the seller never ships your item, or there is something really wrong with your order, you are not protected by paypal, because under paypal's terms, personal payments are not for the transaction of goods. So to them, no goods should have passed hands or there should not have been a transaction. Personal payments would be if you needed to send a friend some money (not for goods) or owed your family some money, for example. So if you don't get your items, you're out your money.

Sellers should just be figuring the cost of paypal's fees into the price for their items, not trying to work around the fees or making their buyers pay the fees. There's costs with doing business ethically, and this is just one of them.

That's good to know. Wish I'd known that about a week ago, sigh. *hoping I don't get screwed*

Wishing I'd done more homework on the whole thing....

That's good to know. Wish I'd known that about a week ago, sigh. *hoping I don't get screwed*

Wishing I'd done more homework on the whole thing....

Well, chances are, if the person sells here, you're okay. I didn't know that about personal payments until not that long ago, and I think there's a lot of people that don't know.

I'm just kind of a stickler about going according to the rules if you're going to run a business, so I like to get the facts out there ;)

Back