Just got my second chin.. Need some tips.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baaiileeyy

Howdy ya'll! So, I'm suuuuuper excited because I just got my second chin! And even in the short time he's been here (about 4 hours?) he's already super friendly and lovable! I got lucky:)

However, could use some advice. Both of my chins are males, and both have very sweet, laid back personalities when it comes to being held and interacted with. But, the new one is huge and seems to have a little more of a dominant personality. Demon, my chin I've had for a few months, is so laid back that I'm afraid he might get bullied if I put them together. I HOPE they can eventually be put in the same cage. And I have the cages next to each other now, and they keep "digging" at each other..

Any advice for potentially putting them together? I know it will take time. So I'm willing to go as slow as I need to!

Congrats on your new chin :). Keep in mind you should be keeping them in separate cages and separate rooms for a 30 day quarantine period. I believe the favorite intro method by most is cage within a cage, which you can read about here: http://www.chincare.com/HealthLifestyle/Introductions.htm. The author also goes over the pros and cons of other intro methods. Even with slow and steady intros, some chins will never get along. Have an extra cage on hand and be prepared to have enough space and resources to keep the two chins separate if need be. Good luck!

Keep in mind side by side cages and cage within a cage gives chins the opportunity to take off toes so make sure you watch for any signs of aggression

And congrats on the new addition!

Thanks for the congrats! And they are next to each other, but not close enough to harm one another. I didn't think about the quarantine. I will get on that ASAP. And I'll have to post pictures soon!

Back