Fur missing on TIP of tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessonehundred

When I came home today I noticed one of my chins had about half an inch of fur missing from the tip of her tail. I have never held her by the tail or noticed any fur missing on her, and I have never noticed her fighting with her mom who she is caged with.. (but I did notice her mom has chewed whiskers).

She is grey, and the skin that is showing still seems to have very short fuzz still on it, and is also grey, not scaly or wounded at all.. so I figured it wasnt a fungus, but I figured I would post a picture and get some feedback if anyone had any ideas,

Attachments

• ec4d8e9ff7f3__1307046203000.jpg
    ec4d8e9ff7f3__1307046203000.jpg
    15.1 KB
It could be that one of them is chewing the tail. I've seen that once before on a young chin. The owner is waiting to see if it will grow out, or if he's actually chewing himself.

I've seen that before - mom probably needs a break away from daughter. I'd separate them and re-introduce them into a larger cage later if they're pets. Once a female starts stripping babies it can occasionally grow to whole body stripping.

Thank you very much for the responses. I seriously love this forum and don't know what I would do as a chin owner without it sometimes.

Spoof- They are in a very large cage right now, but I do have another cage so I can separate them.. How long is it usually appropriate? Days? Weeks? Should I keep them in different rooms? Or should I keep the cages next to eachother? I am just very afraid of causing them more stress.. sometimes I feel I am too sensitive to their feelings and I want to do the right thing for them!

(I have noticed that they havent been cuddling for a few days now, staying on separate shelves, and when I put sticks in or give a treat, they are really jealous and aggressive so maybe this is the best idea)
Thanks again

Back