chin help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessonehundred

my 8week old chin started making a loud squealing noise today, while running really quickly around the cage, jumping off things and screaming the whole time. it was sort of amusing for about a second, i thought maybe she was hyper... she did it a few more times, screaming for bursts of about 10 seconds id say.
now she is very sad and tired looking. i tried to look at her closely for about 30 minutes, she seems to be sitting in corners of the cage for a minute, then moving to another spot, as if she doesnt want me to see her sitting there. her head is shaky, and she is staying very low to the floor and almost shutting her eyes, then snapping out of it. i cant tell if i am overanalyzing and paranoid but it almost looks like she is in pain and doesnt want to show it. (common behavior ive heard.)
i noticed she keeps trying to nurse from her mom, and her mom is now running around a lot more than usual, avoiding the baby almost...

i am very worried, i will try to get a vet appointment a.s.a.p, but until then, any advice on what could be bothering her?

the night i was worried i noticed she was nursing later on, almost as if the mom gave up on ignoring her.
they both seem to have both energy now, but if she was beginning to wean the baby, is there special care i should take to make sure the baby is ok?

i am unsure how much the baby weighs, i havent been able to get a proper scale yet. she has grown markedly since i recieved her but I know that weighing her would be better.

If she's 8 weeks, most likely she's ready to go. There's only so much benefit she's going to get from nursing at this point, and mom is going to have very limited milk if she's not nursing all the time. Some kits comfort nurse, that is to say, they nurse even when there's nothing there. It sounds as though mom was ready for her to be done. You might want to separate them for a few days to a week, then put them back together so the weaning can be complete.

Back