A CritterNation for Two!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

On Tuesday night I was feeling motivated and decided to undertake the (surprisingly lengthy) task of moving Abby into the bottom of the CN. I've been wanting to do this for a while, even though I know that chins normally have an easier time getting introduced if they're side by side, I just couldn't stand having 2 cages. [And I don't think that they will get along, ultimately... Abby is just terrified of Chia, and I hate to stress her out. They also ignored each other when they were side by side, so...]

I'm very happy with the new set up! I think Abby has settled really well, she doesn't have that much more space than the old cage, but it's much better laid out. And I love it for easy cleaning.

The whole cage:
7559447644_e8b5336b46.jpg

Chia's abode:
7559448618_004b4f7b78.jpg

Abby's abode: (she's definitely not a morning chin)
7559447954_fdb82849d3.jpg

I was worried that I would have nipped noses and/or feet, as you can see from Abby's photo, all of her ledges are really far from the hole... I was going to leave it like that but it made me too nervous, so I covered the hole with a wood ledge. I might take it out eventually...

They both look really nice.....where did you get those cute food dishes? They are very cute and I love how they attach to tha cage or at least look like they do lol.

Also are both your chins potty trained? I'm still looking into the idea of tile, but my guys aren't potty trained at all lol.

The dishes are coconut bowls I got from Christiane (saphire here on the forum.) I love them -- both my girls love dumping their food dishes out, and these bowls solved that issue! They're perfect.

Chia is 100% potty trained and will only pee in the litter no matter where it is. Abby is sort of potty trained, but she'll pee in her fleece sometimes. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, but that may be just wishful thinking. I got very lucky with Chia, she hates to get pee on her fur.

The dishes are coconut bowls I got from Christiane (saphire here on the forum.) I love them -- both my girls love dumping their food dishes out, and these bowls solved that issue! They're perfect.

Chia is 100% potty trained and will only pee in the litter no matter where it is. Abby is sort of potty trained, but she'll pee in her fleece sometimes. I'm hoping she'll grow out of it, but that may be just wishful thinking. I got very lucky with Chia, she hates to get pee on her fur.

Very cool, thank you. I didn't really like fleece, the only thing I really liked more then bedding is, it's so much easier to clean up the poops on fleece as they aren't hidden under anything unlike with bedding, so Tile might be good to try. I love those bowls though lol.

Ok so that is officially the cutest fleece set on your tube and the bowls are super cute. I'm going to have to look into getting some of those cause my boys I swear have a contes to see who can flip their dish the fastest. But your setup is super cute!!!:)

Ok so that is officially the cutest fleece set on your tube and the bowls are super cute. I'm going to have to look into getting some of those cause my boys I swear have a contes to see who can flip their dish the fastest. But your setup is super cute!!!:)

Thank you! I put a lot of time (and money) into the cage and I'm very proud of it!

The fleece sets come from Zoey and Lilo's Toy Box - she makes amazing fleece sets, I couldn't be happier.

Tiles

I love the tiled floors! I bought one tile of marble for my 3 girls but didn't think of a whole floor. The cutting would be tricky though. Your chins cages are real cute. I have let my 21 year old daughter set up our cage since she has researched all the heights and requirements. We are still waiting for a saucer type exercise wheel to arrive. I was surprised at how much it costs but my daughter said the other type hurts the chins back.

The tiled flooring is the best thing I've ever done! It makes cleaning so easy, and I have a lot less laundry to do to ;). Both my girls are pretty well potty trained, so peeing on the floor isn't a big issue either :))

That is the coolest cage that I have ever seen. I wish my chins were potty trained :( I'm still using fleece, and after a while you have to replace it since it sometimes gets holes in the washer.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of tile did you use? And do your chins try to chew on it at all?

I used regular tile from a hardware store, the ones with the brownish underside.. I'm not sure what kind of tile exactly. Chia used to chew on it, and try to lift it up.. She actually broke 3 of them (one by throwing it out of the cage, and two others by dropping stuff through the hole in the cage, what a pest!). I've since glued them down to wood with A LOT of non-toxic wood glue, and she hasn't tried to chew on them or break them since.

That is the coolest cage that I have ever seen. I wish my chins were potty trained :( I'm still using fleece, and after a while you have to replace it since it sometimes gets holes in the washer.

Have you ever tried to remove the fleece and let them pee directly on the floor? That's how I found out Chia was potty trained, she actually would pee anywhere on fleece, but will not pee anywhere if it'll splash up onto her fur. Abby seems to have the same feeling, and doesn't often pee on the tile.

Back