would this make for a good cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tams

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/1693875503.html

As much as I would LOVE a FN cage, I don't think right now I can afford it! I came across this and just talked to the lady and she still has it.

From what I see, I could easily separate the cage in half to separate my lil ones....but thats just from looking at the pics.

What are your thoughts!? I trust you all!

oh, btw, I would be taking out the ladders, and adding shelves and such.....like all the pimped out FN cages on here that I Have seen

I would say its an OK cage. It has plenty of room and can be modified but it looks super flimsy. Adding wooden shelves and ledges would help with stability but I think getting those in there would be a big pain the butt because of the little doors.

Looks really good to me and she says it's never been used which is nice and for $75 you can't go wrong imo. I never find deals like that around here. People want to sell all their used crap for almost as much as they paid for it... five years ago!

Edit: Yes, adding wooden shelves that go across to the other side would definitely make it sturdier. The custom made cage I got from Grandview Rabbitry was so much more sturdy when all the wood went in.

It does seem to have an awful lot of doors and you probably wouldn't use all of them so you could lock them off. I still think the price is very good but then again I live in an area where things just cost more than other places. See what others have to say.

Last edited:
Depending on the spacing of the wires, which I think is 1/2 inches for this particular cage, I think it would do fine. And I like your idea of removing the wire shelving and putting in some ledges and wood shelves. I would also add some tubes and some bridges, over time and when you have the money.

I have lurked around the FN page and saw all the amazing cages people have made out of them, and this looks like it could be just as nice. and LOTS of room to decorate!
if the female is by chance pregnant, I was planning on getting some chicken wire to put around the bottom half.

I also found a FN cage (the single unit) on CL for like 50. Figured I'd go non FN and go BIGGER!

oh, and from the looks of it, it looks as if the cage ""comes apart" in 3 places, can't tell for sure. If thats the case, it shouldn't be too bad putting in ledges and shelves

I don't think you'll have any trouble installing shelves b/c I'm sure the bottom pan comes out. The two boys I picked up a while back came with a cage that came apart and we found out that b/c when we were shoving it into our mini van the cage completely fell apart which was a good thing otherwise it would have been tough getting it in there b/c we also had just picked up a 32" TV AND stand, haha! Once the wood shelves got put in the whole cage become way more stable.

Here's a pic of the cage they came with. The top blue plastic shelf has now been replaced with a wooden one.

100_5134.jpg

I have that same cage now!! but it's 2 levels. Its what my chins came with. When I got them, the plastic ramps were still in there (with the shelves) and I imeditly took them out and covered the plastic shelves with fleece til I get the chance to get wood ones. Anyone know a link or a thread that gives instructions on how to make your own ledges and shelves? And about how much they cost to make?!

I have that same cage now!! but it's 2 levels. Its what my chins came with. When I got them, the plastic ramps were still in there (with the shelves) and I imeditly took them out and covered the plastic shelves with fleece til I get the chance to get wood ones. Anyone know a link or a thread that gives instructions on how to make your own ledges and shelves? And about how much they cost to make?!

Here you go, http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9311&highlight=wood+shelves

as for price, around here I can get one long pine board for around $5 (enough for a bunch of shelves), washers, hanger bolts and wingnuts cost between 30 cents to 40 cents each at ACE Hardware

Just left home depot and got some wood cyt for shelves and the hanger bolts/wing nuts, plus a nice piece of scrap pine (about 1'x1' for 50 cents) got 4-6" sqaures, and 4ome longer pieces to make a couple shelves and ledges! Total cost was 15bucks! Now onmy way to pick up the cage! I can't thank you all enough for your great help and advice! I know I'm a n00b here, but I hope to make so chin friends along the way!

Oh, and the boys at home depot were fighting over who was going to help me and one knew about chins, the other didn't and made it like a compition! Nothing like a lil self confidence boost! Lol

hahaha funny about the Home Depot guys. When I have gone and gotten wood cut and told them what it was for, I have gotten some odd looks!

It's really very easy to make shelves, I mean if I can do it, ANYONE can :rofl:

Did you get some washers as well? Home Depot doesn't have the fender washers that I like to use, you can only get smaller washers. ACE Hardware I think might be the only place to get those.

Yea I got washers, don't remember what kind, alli know is they fit! Its all trial and eeror for me from here onout! Now I know how cheap they areto make, I think I'm gonna go shelf crazy and try to get creative! Poor chinies won't have any room with all the shelves! Hahah

so I got the cage and need pliers to fasten the sides together! looks like it has to wait til tomorrow! But I thought the person selling the cage was a woman *we talked thru texts* come to find out it's a guy my age, and he's been texting me all night! kinda cute too! I must have some "A" game look goin on or something tonight, tho I'm still in a dirty work shirt, and my hair is in a nub of a pony tail and I dont have a smudge of makeup on! who knew!

Back