Worrys about adopted pair

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTope311

So I recently adopted two chinchillas from a local "breeder" that was downsizing her herd. I will say that I didn't want to take them but my loving pet owner side said I had to get them in a better environment. Here is the issue. When I took them, there was a male and a female together for a few months so I am assuming the female is pregnant even though I am not 100% sure (they are seperated now).The male, Spinner, has obvious neurological damage probably from lack of care and attention from a previous untreated issue. Any chance that if the female is pregnant this condition could be passed. I wouldn't think so since its neurological, but I thought I would ask. Also, I was told they were the same age and both had an ebony gene, which made me wonder if they had the same parents or even from the same litter, but previous owner didnt know. If she is pregnant, what should I expect from inbreeding.

If it's not multi-generational inbreeding (as in, this is the first time the generation has mated) the effects of inbreeding shouldn't be too prevelant. If I understand correctly, it's when you constantly breed the same blood line together that you get problems. I don't know about the neurological issues... What makes you think he has those? What sort of signs does he have? I wouldn't think they could be passed, as chins aren't known for having genetic neurological issues aside from, say, fur chewing, but there's a first for everything.

Spinner runs in very tight circles almost constantly, especially when he gets excited. I asked the previous owner how long he has been doing so and she told me for a long time. Since the owner named him Spinner, he is almost two years old, and the vet said he doesnt have an ear infection, I assume its neurological.

Note: I can't believe I misspelled worries in my title on my very first post. I'm embarrassed!

That almost sounds more like a learned behavior, almost like what shelter dogs develop. Do you know if he was kept in a too-small cage, smaller than a run sized cage? Don't worry abot typos, we all have them :)

Is there anyway you could post a video of him, so we can see exactly what it looks like?

His cage was small but not too small, he and his cage mate had room to run and she shows none of the same symptoms even though the previous owners did have them in a long bird cage :banghead:

I posted a video on youtube so you could check it out. Most of the video is Spinner and Spazz arguing over the dust house but you can see him spinning at the very beginning of the video and from 1:10-1:25 in the video. Also note, sorry for the pretty poor quality because I took it on my blackberry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKT__o_81k

It's just strange, I have never seen another chinchilla act like that. Usually he runs tighter circles, almost like he is chasing his tail. I just couldn't get a good video of him doing so.

I think I can hear him yelling "Freeeeeeedooommm" I think He is just happy to be able to run around and he is taking advantage of the space!

Just a question, because I noted you have multiple chins out at a time for playtime. Is this a mixed-gender or same-sex playtime? If it's a mixed-gender playtime, you still run the risks of chins getting pregnant. If it's same-sex, feel free to ignore this post then.

It's mixed-gender play time, but its monitored very closely, any humping starts and the playtime is over for the male involved and then he will get seperate play time after everyone else.

No offense meant, but a chin can mate quicker than it takes you to get to them. It literally takes seconds for them to leave a present for their lady friend. You need to stop mixed playtime otherwise you run the risk of having babies. If you can have separate playtime for a randy male afterward, then you can have two separate playtimes for males and females.

by the time you break up the humping they are done mating it is seriously like seconds. You need to stop mix sex playtime. I have heard so many times it was always supervised I don't know how it happened. Mating takes 3 seconds tops

Can we please get back on topic. I have been breeding for several years now and if they do breed its not really an issue. I just try to make sure its not during play time if possible, which it hasn't been an issue, but if they did I would track and monitor it as normal. I only am asking questions cause the situation with Spinner is something I haven't ever had to deal since I don't inbreed and this my first situation with a chinchilla having an issue whether it be learned or neurological.

Back