Won't move in his cage when I watch

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johannie86

Not doing anything when I'm there?

Hi guys,

I've had my new hedgehog for about 2 weeks now, and he's acting kind of weird. He won't move in his cage when we're there, but 2 minutes after we left the room, if it's dark outside, he starts playing. If I come back to see him play in his wheel, he stops and is very still. I just don't get it, because he loves to start exploring in front of us, or on my lap, but never in his cage.

Does anyone have an explanation? Or tips to change that?

Thanks

Mine does it too. He got over it eventually. Just got to build trust. Treats while you're watching help :) I feed mine mealworms through the bars every now and then. Now he comes out when I come home just to see if I will give him treats. Just be careful to not overdo it with the treats. Don't want a fatty!!!

Thanks Hammie! But the thing is, he doesn't like treats much. I tried to give him a superworm 2 or 3 times but he won't eat/taste it. Maybe I'll get him to eat a mealworm. He looks like he doesn't know it's food:hilarious:. The only thing he ever ate besides his basic food is chicken. But it's good to know some experienced it. I just so want to see him in his wheel, with his cute tiny legs!

PS: Sorry for the errors, english isn't my first language...

Hedgehogs are known for needing to be offered foods several times before liking them. My little guy didn't try treats out of my hand for a long time. He ate them out of his food bowl eventually. After a while, he recognized the smell and ate them out of my hand. Keep trying and be patient! After four months, my little guy finally likes me. Hang in there! And your English is better than half of my students who speak English as a first language :p

I'd try mealworms rather than superworms. If you do use superworms, make sure to cut their heads off - you don't want them biting your hedgie (superworms can/will bite; mealies won't).

Hedgies differ on how much they'll tolerate being watched on their wheels. My Satin was such a closet wheeler. We'd hear her running and try to see... but no. The moment she spotted us, it was all over. No more running. She'd stop. If she felt threatened... like if she thought we'd take her wheel... she'd stand in it and growl; else, she just run away and hide under her blankies until we were gone. So we got desperate. We'd wait until she was running, then slowly and silently crawl across the floor in the dark so she didn't see us, freezing in our tracks when she stopped running, starting again only when she resumed running, then we'd very carefully raise ourselves up on our knees to peer into her cage. Only then could we see our little girl run. It was beautiful. She was beautiful. But, boy, did we have to work for it.

In sharp contrast is Mr. Tex. Most of the time, he will stop running and sit in his wheel if he sees you watching him. But this is also the little guy who kept running as we were moving his cage and his wheel inside his cage when he was banging it around in the middle of the night. Hedgiedaddy was literally holding on to Tex's wheel and shifting it away from the cage wall and little boy continued running up a storm.

If out in the open in their cages (like walking between their belongings) and they see us, they'll freeze in place. Or run and hide. These little guys are prey animals. Even when it's Hedgiedaddy or Hedgiemommy with whom they've snuggled for hundreds of hours, instinct kicks in and says: I am little; that is big; beware! So, to me, what you're describing feels very familiar... very normal for hedgies. I'm glad your little one will snuggle and explore with you outside his cage. That's wonderful :)

Have you named him yet?

He is probably just a bit scared. Just think, he is going about his business and he hears the door open, and some weird noises. First thing he is going to do is go on the defense and stop moving and may even quill up. Its a prey's defense to a predator. Also, he plays when its dark because hedgehogs are nocturnal animals. This shouldnt be changed.

To change ihim stopping when you come in? speak softly to him all the time. When you enter the room speak softly so he knows it is you. Wait around lay next to the cage. Remember, he eventually has to move. Just be patient. He needs to get used to you and his surrounds.

Thanks everyone for your help! Feels nice to know my hedgie is normal. You know, after you see all those videos of hedgehogs running in their wheels on youtube, you kind of want to see yours do it too!

And smhufflepuff, thanks. Didn't know superworms could bite. I'll switch to mealworms, anyway I kind of felt like the superworms size was too big for my little one. And I named him (after my boyfriend pressured me to decide on one). His name is Picsou. Seems weird since Picsou is a duck, but in french "pic" means spike. I attached a picture (not perfect, but he moves so much!).

Attachments

• SAM_1242.jpg
    SAM_1242.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 21
I occasionally call youtube an evil website. You see things on there that can be extremely misleading. You see hedgehogs who are just not your typical hedgehog. I've had more hedgehogs that would

"Stop! Freeze! Oh no she's not leaving, she's seen me! Run! Hide! (touch hidey bag) Snuffle!"

I've had a couple that would come out to see me, but those were odd hedgehogs. I've had a couple that would run on their wheels in the light, but again, those were odd hedgehogs. Hedgehogs tend to be private animals.

My Khaki will run on her wheel at all hours of the day. She's in kind of an offshoot "nursery" type room, so I can sit and watch her from the other room without her getting nervous. She generally won't run when I'm next to her. Your baby is so cute!!

Back