Wobbling?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

catahstrophic

So after getting back from the Pet Store getting Sonic some mealworms, a litter dish, a new toy, and new bedding, we woke her up and put her in her cage. She was wobbling around, we thought maybe it was just the bedding.

We took her out and set her on the carpet, and she's just wobbling around. Like just wobbling side to side and walking very low, unlike her.

And she was PERFECTLY fine yesterday. Her green poops were becoming less, she ran around in her hedgie ball in the kitchen and bathroom for maybe 30 minutes. She seemed to be perfectly happy. She was walking fine, eating, and just seemed fine.

And now she's just wobbling back and forth?

I feel like there is just so much going on with her...I feel like I'm being an awful parent...that there's just always something wrong with her and it's my fault :(

I'm terrified she's about to die. I may be overreacting, but she was fine yesterday...I don't know what to do.

Could this be WHS? I mean I've never noticed her having any trouble walking.

I mean she was in her hedgie ball [those balls you put animals in to roll around] for awhile last night. I dunno if she's being silly and having trouble balancing now?

Last edited:
We just recieved her new hegie liners from Nancy. We put her under her hat with her new teddy bear and hope that maybe she's just cold. We had a cold front come through last night and while we were gone today doing errands, the roommate kept the AC on even though it was QUITE cold outside. Could this be possibly why she's shaking? I'm just terrified, since she was fine last night.

It sounds like she is cold. Try warming her up first thing and see if the wobbles go away. Does her tummy feel cool?

Has she been eating? How are her poops, are they improved today?

Check to see if she is dehydrated. Pinch some skin for about 5 seconds and release. If it pops back to normal immediately, she is fine. If it stays pinched she is dehydrated.

Wobbles can mean sick too but try warmth first. Put her next to your skin or set her on a heating pad on low and sitting on you. You can also warm a towel in the microwave and set her on it. Make sure you monitor her to make sure it isn't too warm.

Good luck

I pinched her [which she was NOT happy about haha] and it went back normal immedietly. I think she just got really cold due to the roommate putting on the AC when it was like 45 degrees outside [dumb dumb DUMB]. I warmed her up in her bag and rubbing her and she popped out and walked fine. And no more wobbles or shakes.

It didn't occur to me at first she could be cold, so I'm glad my boyfriend suggested this.

Thank you Nancy :] I feel like one of those 'first-time-moms' who freaks out at the slightest thing :D So glad I have this board!

And yes, her poops seemed better today.

Given that your roomie might not have hedgie's needs first and foremost on his/her mind, I'm wondering about how to keep hedgie warm independent from the household temperature? Does she have her own system set up or is her cage temp tied directly to room temp?

She doesn't have her own setup. I'd love to start saving for one soon. I just don't know what route to go. Any suggestions?

Lots of us use space heaters to keep our hedgehog's room warmer. I have used oil-fill radiator style heaters for a long time. Others on here have also used ceramic heat emitters. Do a search for these for more information.

Back