winking?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo24

This may be a silly question...but do chinchillas wink? I swear everytime gizmo is happy..he'll wink his right eye. Its probably my imagination but is this something they do? Its super cute!

I think that they do!!! And I think that it is one of the cutest of their behaviors, right up there with cleaning their whiskers and pawing like they are in the dustbath to give me a "hint" that it's time for a bath!!!

Mr. Whiskers does it slowly and deliberately all the time to me, and it makes me smile every time!!!

I love the name Whiskers..I use to have the sweetest cat named that! I know..my heart melts everytime I see gizmo do it. :)

No imagination! They surely do wink! Some more than others. My sassy Bobo winks at me all the time LOL! It's not a gesture of niceness on her part LOL! Mick St. John also winks at me quite a bit but I know that's because he loves me!

I love it when Shelly winks. It is one of my favorite things to see. I also love her big yawns

I'm not sure. I haven't researched it and don't know if anyone's done studies or anything (can't really think of the governemnt giving out grants to unlock the secrets of chinnie winks hah). But thinking about it, if they were to wink in a communicative way, I'd expect to observe it between themselves (chins winking at chins) as well. I would first rule out an irritation in the chin's eye.

I don't want to ruin this warm fuzzy vibe going on--I'm just saying I think many people anthropomorphize animals to an insane degree. Animals are amazing and make people feel wonderful. The idea that chinchillas may not be able to feel "love" shouldn't change that. As with anything, I'd make sure it isn't something bad like a medical problem before coming up with other especially adorable scenarios.

Back