will my mosaic baby get lighter??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxoimhis

<-- chin-chin mommie!! &#9829;
if you want to have a look, hes in my new album. he is
only 6 weeks and the people we got him from said his
grey areas might get lighter. could the grey spots also
get darker as in a 50/50 chance?? or is it for sure no
doubt going to get lighter?? will he turn all white?? we
really were hoping the grey spots would darken lol.

Yes, there is a good chance your mosaic will change color. It's hard to say exactly how he'll turn out. For example:

Here's Latte when she was born:
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22129&highlight=sextuplets

Here's 3 months:
picture.php

Don't have a recent picture available, but at 7 months she's still changing.

Just as a side note, I believe it was already mentioned in another thread, but 6 weeks old is too young to leave his mother. Keep a close eye on him and weigh him regularly to make sure he's gaining.

Last edited:
ya we will keep an eye on him. he eats alot already. mostly
ALOT of hay. but we constantly squeeze water out of the water
bottle because hes having trouble drinking from it.

Chances are high that he will get lighter. I can't believe that any breeder would be so frantic for money and uncaring to let a chin baby go at 6 weeks old. Mine do not go until they are at least 10 weeks old

Chances are high that he will get lighter. I can't believe that any breeder would be so frantic for money and uncaring to let a chin baby go at 6 weeks old. Mine do not go until they are at least 10 weeks old

She was told before about this. Guess she didn't believe us.

ya we will keep an eye on him. he eats alot already. mostly
ALOT of hay. but we constantly squeeze water out of the water
bottle because hes having trouble drinking from it.

For future reference, if you decide to get another chinchilla, make sure you find a breeder who does weaning at a proper age. A good breeder will wean the kit and then keep it for a few more weeks to make sure it can eat and drink on its own. If he's having trouble drinking keep a very close eye on his droppings as well to make sure he's not getting dehydrated and constipated.

One of my mosaics has gotten whiter and is almost completely white now, and the other one has been getting darker. Yuki used to be almost completely white, and now she's got a dark spot above her nose and the left side of her face is getting darker and darker.

It's hard to say.

For future reference, if you decide to get another chinchilla, make sure you find a breeder who does weaning at a proper age. A good breeder will wean the kit and then keep it for a few more weeks to make sure it can eat and drink on its own. If he's having trouble drinking keep a very close eye on his droppings as well to make sure he's not getting dehydrated and constipated.

ya we've been trying to teach him and he seems to get the idea.
we are still keeping a close watch on him and offering him his bottle
every hour. and he poops NON stop. lol as big as our adult chins poop!!

ya we've been trying to teach him and he seems to get the idea.
we are still keeping a close watch on him and offering him his bottle
every hour. and he poops NON stop. lol as big as our adult chins poop!!

Are you sure it is a learning problem and not a bottle problem? You could try a bottle with an edstrom valve. They don't rely on a vacuum (And don't leak as easily in my experience).

this is the bottle i have. its not a ball one. its a stick.
we tried a ball one with baby freedom the first day and he
DEFINITELY couldn't get that to work.

fliptopbottlelrg.jpg

little freedom is doing good i marked his water bottle last night to see if he drinks and he is definitely drinking from his bottle on his own and he munched up all his food and almost all his hay, and he is a pooping machine..

I suspect your baby will probably go lighter. My little Mosaic certainly has over his life, I have some piccies from his breeder.

2 Days old -

206535_113777562037270_100002150805896_118792_6629625_n.jpg

2 weeks old -
227233_117249545023405_100002150805896_145169_7219002_n.jpg

6 weeks -
250283_122817771133249_100002150805896_181609_326040_n.jpg

3 months old -
P7030047.jpg

He's still going lighter except for a dark spot on the side of his bum which seems to be going darker. I love that pure white stripe across his back.
That's the fun of whites.

Back