Why won't he go into his hammock?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levy-xo

I made my chinnie a hammock, but unless I put it over one of his ledges he wont dare go into it. Does anyone have an idea as to why he wont go in it normally?

Thanks in advance!

The best answer I can give you is - chins are weird. Some love hammocks, some hate them. Some love sleeping on ledges, some hate them. Some will go in a wood house, others will only go on top. Just like with people, chins have personalities all their own and your chin, for whatever reason, has decided they don't like hanging out in a hammock.

I purchased a lot of hammocks they didn't like it. They do love the ledges and tubes. It all depends on what your chins likes and dislikes just like people.

Some chins don't like hammocks. And some chins take a while to adjust to them. Pepper had never had a hammock until I got him and was a little nervous about them at first. He wouldn't use them for the LONGEST time, but I left them in there for him anyways and now he LOVES them! I catch him snoozing in his hammock all the time and he flops in some really interesting positions, haha. But its funny, he jumps out as soon as he spots me spotting him in the hammock, like "What? Noooooooo, I wasn't appreciating the thing you painstakingly made for me, not at all". Chins are weird xD

My girls are not fans of hammock. However, they are all tube junkies. It's the number one sleeping spot at my house.

Tubes are the top spot in my house too. Every once in a while I find a poo in their hammocks, but not often. So they dont stay in there long if they go on them at all.

I bought our boys a corner hammock to test it out (my cage is also super cramped - no room for the full size hammocks lol) and they showed precisely 0 interest in them for months. They eventually started sitting in them, and now the hammocks get daily use. Tubes are still by far the favorite sleeping spot, although Gizmo loves to snooze under his pine fiddlesticks during the day

Back