White Sapphire

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whimsy

I've been working slowly with a sapphire line and have found it difficult to tell the difference between a white s/c and a white sapphire in new kits.

I have one mommy in particular whose pedigree lists her as a white, possible s/c (confirmed now). She gave birth to a sapphire female and white male. The father is a standard, s/c. So you can see that luck was on my side to even get a visable sapphire, let alone a white sapphire.

But I digress.

The dam has pale grey ears which I would expect from a carrier. But the white kit has ears that are both pink and soft grey. He looks more like a second white s/c I have who is totally unrelated.

Can anyone provide me with some hints or clues you may know of that could help determine the difference?

Pictures would be incredibly helpful.

Can you post a picture of the kit in question? I haven't had any white sapphires born here yet, but several white carriers, and it was obvious to me they weren't sapphires.

Hope this helps, you can definitely see the difference

The two are sisters and whites,,, on the left she is a possible carrier for the parents where both carriers

this is the brother

Pictures taken this week end of the white sapphire at the brother

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got some pictures.

I'm leaning more toward the male being a carrier. Compared with his sapphire sister, his "grey" coloring is considerably different from her steel blue, regardless of the ears.

The more I look at his ears objectively, the more they look grey.

These pictures were taken shortly after they were born. The male has lightened up considerably whereas the sapphire sister has deepened in color.

Attachments

• P8240570.jpg
    P8240570.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P8240577.jpg
    P8240577.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 65
  • P8240583.jpg
    P8240583.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 56
I would say white for sure, his ears are grey rather than pearly blue like his sister's. As for carrier, since neither parent was a sapphire he is only a possible carrier. There is no guaranteed way that I know to tell the difference between a carrier and a non-carrier without breeding them and seeing what they produce. Believe me, I've tried looking!

Back