Where to get quality bulk hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maha's Chins

Hi, twice earlier I ordered bulk hay from a private chin supply seller in bulk, however the hay arrived quite dry (alfalfa) and crumbled very quickly, can anyone here tell me where I can order fresh bulk hay from, without breaking bank. as the previous seller charged me an arm and a leg for shipping!! even though she was local. My chins prefer alfalfa but I am ready to experiment with spring medley as they are not really into Timothy by itself, nor store bought commercial brands, sigh. Appreciate any input.

Thanks , MJ

I buy hay from a farmer not too far away. Not sure how feasible that is for you. If there are stables nearby, you could find out where they get their hay from. Horses eat the same kind of hay. And if you are feeding alfalfa based pellets (and most are), you should try and get mostly grass hay of some kind. Good luck :)

If you can't find a local stable or farmer to supply you, you can try KMS hayloft. Shipping for hay is expensive though, there's no way around that. I have heard very many recommendations for their timothy. I order Bluegrass from KMS and my boys absolutely love it as a treat. I get everyday hay, a grass mix, from a local farmer, otherwise I'd be ordering that from KMS too.

I get a 36 bale order of Stanlee hay through Buckley Brothers feed store. It's much cheaper and they ship it by train. They carry alfalfa and timothy. You can contact them to find out what distributor you can order through.

Back