Where to buy a good/safe hidey house?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my3esses

I bought a cheapy small one on amazon when I was setting up the cage but my chin doesn't seem to like it at all, she never goes in it. She also had a timothy hay tunnel/house thing and she slept in there often but she peed in it and it got gross. Now she only has her tunnel as a place to hide/sleep.

I am not sure if she will like another wooden hidey house but I feel like I should try. No pet stores near me have them, so need an online source.

I would check out the vendors who advertise through this forum. That way you can get one that you know is made of chin-safe materials and is potentially customizable. I also find getting someone to make you one is generally way better bang for your buck than buying one from a pet store

You could always make your own. They're actually pretty simple to put together. You can buy a pine board at Home Depot or Lowes and they can cut the pieces for your house for you right there. Just get some non toxic wood glue or even just white glue and put it together with that. Let it cure for 24 hours with maybe some books on top of it, and you have made a house (or maybe two) for less than half the cost of one at the petstore made out of good, thick wood.

I make houses for people from time to time, but I always recommend that people make things for themselves to save money and just to know how to do it.

I have bought from twilight chinchillas mentioned above and have been very happy with what I have gotten. I also bought a really nice hidey house from jbcstratton at a show and even though Luna chews on it like a mad woman, it has nice thick wood and is still holding up nicely!

Back