where do you keep your chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gizmo lives in my living room close to (but doesn't blow on him) my 10000 btu air conditioner. :) he sleeps through me playing kinect/xbox so he's a pretty good sleeper. Lol. And its where the most activity is. Couldn't imagine having him anywhere else.

At both houses they have their own room, at work they are in the office, they get looked at all the time by people and it does not bother them at all.

Yes...like many others I kept my chinchilla in my basement too. It was open though, nice and cool and didnt have to start using the aircon until we got into the middle of summer or so. Quiet enough in the daytime too, easy to let him out :)

So if you keep your chins in thebasement, how do you keep it a comfortable temperature in the winter? Our new place has a half finished basement, so the rooms arent heated. I was going to get an electric heater or fire place, but would that cause any reason for concern? It wouldn't be a fire hazard if combined with ctheir dust?

Trixie lives in our living room with us. She seems to get enough quiet time, and enjoys watching television with us.

Zidane is kept in our living room. It's the coolest room in the house and where the most activity is. He seems to be quite content there and can easily watch tv from where his cage is situated especially if he's in his beloved fleece tube.

my little girl is in the basement next to my room, probably the most common spot due to the colder air.

At first, my chinnie was in my bed room. I have allergies to everything and it never bothered me. Now though, I keep my chin in the entertainment room/office. More space. And most of my family hang out in here in the evenings for a few hours, plus I spend a lot of time doing homework on the computer so she gets plenty of interaction and quiet time.

We've actually had to move the chins out of the dining room and into the fully converted garage.

When we had just a few of our own pets, it was easy to keep them in the middle of all the attention. Now, with an average of over 70 animals at a time (including the rescues) they have their own room.

As soon as I got my boys I converted my boyfriend´s home office into a Chindom of Fun so now he has to work off the dining room table or risk losing his paperwork to hungry mouths! They also share the room with my five hamsters during the day but get it all to themselves during night when I move the hams to a warmer room. Bf thinks that I am bonkers for wanting to put a TV in there......just for the chins.

well i had a bedroom dedicated to a chinnie. but my friend needs to get rid of her chinchilla this weekend. and since i don't have an AC yet for that room, she will be in the living room. since its the coldest spot in the house (67 degrees).

I have a small TV and radio in my chinchilla room! When I'm out of the room, I turn the radio on, and let them listen to some music!

Mine are currently in a spare bedroom. They will be moved to a fully insulated shed with electric, heat and a/c soon.

Provided your bedroom stays cool enough and they seem relaxed and content they will be fine :)

Currently have them in our living room. We have central radiator heating, it's the furthest away from the radiators and very close to us in the evenings :).

I have a small TV and radio in my chinchilla room! When I'm out of the room, I turn the radio on, and let them listen to some music!

Mine have a radio at the moment which they seem to like..... how close to the cage do you place the TV and how often is it left on? I need a plan of action to present to my boyfriend so he doesn´t think I am a nutter and can see that they actually benefit from having a TV.

My four are in my living room and the TV is positioned in between the cages. During the day, I leave the radio on, and at night I leave the tv on low. A silent environment will result in a chorus of barking at my place, which I try to avoid at all costs.

My TV is probably a couple feet away from the nearest cage. I actually keep it in the closet! We have double doors on the closet and i took the doors off. I can see it from every angle in the room this way. I probably have it on for at least 3 hours a day, and the rest of the time the radio is on, and turned down low at night.

Back